• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pod Shape/Color Variation of Seeds Grown from One Pod...

I agree AJ, the superhots do seem to have vastly more variation in pod shape and I personally believe it has to do with instability in some of these "varieties". The bhuts I have been growing for a very long time now have never shown much variation, but the seed is always isolated every year. Still, I get about 2% that are not what would be considered a definitive bhut shape/texture. My douglahs are all over the place as far as shape and size go, texture is 100% consistent so far. I really think it is going to be a long time before any of us start seeing real consistancy in the these varieties. Also, anyone growing out more than a few plants of a variety is WAY more likely to see variation than the people with one or two plants. Its a statistics game.

I find it fascinating to have pod difference from seed taken from the same pod. I planted CPI Bhuts last year and harvested all the seed for this year from the same pod. I now have 4 plants this year. Two have bumpy pods (as did the donor from last year) and two have rather smooth, almost hab-like texture. This year I will again harvest one pod until I can narrow production down to all bumpy, evil looking pods.

It doesn't matter if all the seeds are from the same pod, if they aren't stable they will all be different and if they recently crossed, they will be even more different(except f1s which will more or less all be the same). One pod could potentially have several different crosses of seeds within it as well as some true seeds.
Like AJ said, when you get a variety you like, with features you really like, its best to isolate and selectively breed until they start to look more consistant, especially when they are known hybrids or assumed hybrids like in AJ's case
It doesn't happen overnight, this is my 5th or 6th year growing Scorpion_BT and they still seem to have the most variability in pod shape of all chile plants I've ever grown

It doesn't happen overnight, this is my 5th or 6th year growing Scorpion_BT and they still seem to have the most variability in pod shape of all chile plants I've ever grown

I am interested to see how my 100 TS BT's end up in the variability of pods. So far I have seen no variability, but the only pods I am getting are from my 5 seedstock plants right now. Again, its a statistics thing, so I am sure I will be running into the same problem very soon.

So far I am getting all stingers. I have a feeling though that it has everything do with the fact that they are in the greenhouse and there is no wind/rain/insects to disturb the flower ring prematurely. I should know in the next two weeks what the other plants are going to look like.

I know I started this whole Scorpion-BT flower ring theory but IMO the flower ring is not solely resposible for tails/stingers, although it definitely does contribute to the shape. I've got many tails/stingers from BT pods that had flower ring removed very early.
Even in my greenhouse pods seem to be of all shapes.

Yep, like I said, I think its a statistics thing. I have no expectation of having 100% consistency in pod shape especially with 100 plants. I will be happy to get 50% and turn the others into powder.

Back