• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

pods splitting open on plants

More so on my orange hab plants. They have black lines in them that split open in spots. Its been raining a lot. Im acually going to lose most of my pods to this. Do I need to remove the cracked ones or leave them on the plant

Those splits do come from too much water uptake - the pod cells become so soaked that the skins split. Different varieties tend to do it more than others. First question is if you can move or cover them - mine are in pots, so I just move mine to the garage now when we get too much rain. You can leave them on the plant if they're not ripe (which I'm assuming is the case), and they'll continue to ripen. The splits will kind of heal over (kind of like you and I get a scab if we're cut open), but they won't be attractive. Last year when the same happened to my plants, I cut the black parts off before dehydrating them.

Ok they are not ripe and they are in the gound. It may continue to rain through the week. I guess I'll let them ripen and save the parts I can.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Can you build some kind of canopy over them? I don't know if that's a reasonable thing to do, since I don't know how many plants you have, but it would help some if you could.

Just found one of my cayennes split after a big rain. Season's almost over, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Back