• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Poke

I thought it was a weed, but I'm hearing it is a great, naturally growing (like dandelions) plant that makes a great salad. Has anyone tried it or have a recipe on how to fix it?

Mike

Apparently it's awfully poisonous and needs treating before consuming. not sure exactly what is the exact process. I've read online boiling, but that seems unlikely to be 100% safe.

Poke is edible as a potherb, but it must be picked VERY young, like when it first emerges and before the stems and leaf veins turn that purple color. Even then, it must be boiled all to hell, and have the water changed once or twice to remove the toxins. Old timers around here eat it and call it "Poke Salad." I would only eat it if I didn't have anything else to eat. I think if done right, it might be able to pass for overdone ie. mushy collard greens. If you do decide to eat it, make sure to research proper collection and cooking methods. And add a shit-ton of bacon grease.

After reading more about this, the only spot it will find on my property is the compost pile. My wife's dad use to fix it but from what I read, it has to be boiled three times in different water to remove the toxins. Hardly seems worth the effort.

Mike

Back