• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor pollinating indoor hot peppers

I have a butch t hot pepper thats 5mths old
Started from a seed and is 3.5ft tall with
a canopy that is 3x2ft had lots of flowersbut my paintbrush methd
And the electric toothbrush have only given me 2 peppers.
Im not stupid. It should be easy. But I have switched a
Couple of times the bloom nutrient. Loosing flowers all the time.
Room temp was 75 so I up it to83..hope this helps.
Humidity is only 40%
Thanks for any help

Sure fire method: Find a blooming annum and intentionally cross pollinate. I've had terrible luck getting any of my chineses to produce pollen in the cool and dry basement in the winter. My overwintered jalapeno has no such issues and has a ton of pollen.

I started my Fataliis, Bhuts and Butch Ts back in early October and they have been flowering for a few months with no pods or pollen, but once my jalapeno started flowering again a couple of weeks ago, I crossed them. Now I have a few ghosts and butch Ts peppers growing. Maybe a fatalii or two, but I can't remember which flower I polinated so we'll have to wait and see.

I have heard that humidity might be the reason, or maybe it is too cool (mid 70s in the grow room), but the chinese definitely don't produce pollen for me.

Edited to add: As a plus, I have marked several of the crosses and might grow them out just to see what a Butch T or Bhut Jolokai crossed with a jal turns out to be.

Back