• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Poor growing soil

Not sure if you even need to dry them out. I took a bell pepper straight from store to cutting board. Took 4 seeds out of the pepper and put them in some potting soil. Less than a week later I had 4 sprouts.

Good luck with the soil and compost. Started a small compost pile out back this year. Have put mainly leaf material and the weeds I pulled into it. Going to be adding some manure to it here soon.

Another thought, is coffee grounds....mix some of that in there too....
Shoot, I even germed a bunch of thai seeds in 50% dirt, and 50% coffee grounds :)

Worst case scenario would be having to use "human manure"..... there has to be plenty of that there.....

+1 on the coffee grounds. You should have ready access to a bunch and you can use it in large quantities immediately. It acidifies the soil a little, which should be good 'cause I bet you dollars to doughnuts the desert soil there is highly alkaline.

+1 on not needing to dry the seeds at all. In fact, you will most probably find that the fresh seeds will germinate faster and give you better germination rates. Drying is only necessary for storage (e.g. if you are not planning on sowing the seeds straight away).

Worst case scenario would be having to use "human manure"..... there has to be plenty of that there.....

Ummm.... *personally* I would be sticking with collecting sheep pebbles one at a time...... but maybe that's just me??? :rofl:

+1 on not needing to dry the seeds at all. In fact, you will most probably find that the fresh seeds will germinate faster and give you better germination rates. Drying is only necessary for storage (e.g. if you are not planning on sowing the seeds straight away).

Ummm.... *personally* I would be sticking with collecting sheep pebbles one at a time...... but maybe that's just me??? :rofl:

Well.... I did say "Worst case scenario"...lol

I agree also, with the fresh seeds....you would save valuable time not having to dry and then rehydrate the seeds while germinating.

You guys are right. I don't know why I was thinking to dry them out. Oh well, lol. I def have access to coffee grounds. Everyone around here drinks the stuff, lol. Def human manure is the worst case scenario. Haha.

You guys are right. I don't know why I was thinking to dry them out. Oh well, lol. I def have access to coffee grounds. Everyone around here drinks the stuff, lol. Def human manure is the worst case scenario. Haha.
I would have thought the same thing too. I just learned something, thanks to Nightshade !

+1 what everyone else is saying, but if you're really going to be there a long time (like years), and you have access to enough compostable waste, you could consider row composting. There's more info on it online.

Also, the current landscape architecture and agricultural topsoil remediation trend is to simply pile on a thick layer of compost on top of the soil, without tilling it in—and repeat this every season. This assumes you're planting in an area where the topsoil won't erode in a big storm, though.

Or you could go RCW (Ramial chipped wood), it's used to renew humus and to combat desertification.

Ask Windchicken about it, he's a pro with RWC (and he has the most amazing peppers on earth)

Back