food Pork Chili Verde (well, mostly verde)

I've been eating this pork chili since I was a little kid. It's sooooooo simple.

Ingredients:
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of Rotel tomatoes & green chilis (Mild or Hot... I'm sure you pepper fools will prefer the latter)
20 or more big and bright green Anaheim peppers (I had some Anaheims in my garden that turned red so I put them in as well)
A big cut of pork. I used two big tenderloin.

CIMG2028.jpg

First, I fire up the grill and char the skins. In the winter I'll do this in a flat pan on the stove, but it's much easier on the grill.
CIMG2030.jpg

Make sure you get them black allllll over... otherwise the skins won't come off easily. These are just starting to char...
CIMG2032.jpg

Once you get the peppers good and black, pull them off the grill and immediately put them into a ziplock freezerbag. Then throw it in the fridge for an hour or so.
CIMG2034.jpg

Once the peppers have cooled, and this will take a surprisingly long time, pull them from the fridge and run each pepper under water using your thumb to remove the skins, seeds and stems. Set the "flesh" aside. When you're done, your sink will look like this...
CIMG2036.jpg

What you have left is the flesh of the peppers. Chop them into strips and then into little chunks.
CIMG2037.jpg

Likewise, cut your pork into small chunks. I try to keep the chunks at about 1/2 inch squares. The smaller the better in my opinion.

Then put the peppers into the crockpot (or pot on your stove) along with 1 can of Rotel tomatoes & green chilies and about 3/4 can of chicken broth + your pork. Season with a little bit of salt. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours. Just before you serve it, mix 1/4 cup of water with a couple of spoons of cornstarch or flour and add it to the pot to thicken the liquid.
CIMG2038.jpg

Simple as that. It's not particularly spicy, but it is very rich and hearty. You can spice it up with crushed red pepper flakes, but it's really unnecessary in my opinion.

I bet that tasted delicious! Maybe I'll give it a try but think I will toss in some garlic, onions and carrots or maybe green peas. Wish my walmart carried walmart brand chicken and beef broth - right now they just sell big brand name at $1.89 a can, I like .77 cent can pricing. I'll keep my eyes open for cheap Anaheims.

Stem,

Thank you so much for sharing this. I officially invite you to the Drunken Chef thread.....already in progress.

Bring your camera, your booze, and your game-face!!

:woohoo:

I've been eating this pork chili since I was a little kid. It's sooooooo simple.

Ingredients:
1 can of chicken broth
1 can of Rotel tomatoes & green chilis (Mild or Hot... I'm sure you pepper fools will prefer the latter)
20 or more big and bright green Anaheim peppers (I had some Anaheims in my garden that turned red so I put them in as well)
A big cut of pork. I used two big tenderloin.

CIMG2028.jpg

First, I fire up the grill and char the skins. In the winter I'll do this in a flat pan on the stove, but it's much easier on the grill.
CIMG2030.jpg

Make sure you get them black allllll over... otherwise the skins won't come off easily. These are just starting to char...
CIMG2032.jpg

Once you get the peppers good and black, pull them off the grill and immediately put them into a ziplock freezerbag. Then throw it in the fridge for an hour or so.
CIMG2034.jpg

Once the peppers have cooled, and this will take a surprisingly long time, pull them from the fridge and run each pepper under water using your thumb to remove the skins, seeds and stems. Set the "flesh" aside. When you're done, your sink will look like this...
CIMG2036.jpg

What you have left is the flesh of the peppers. Chop them into strips and then into little chunks.
CIMG2037.jpg

Likewise, cut your pork into small chunks. I try to keep the chunks at about 1/2 inch squares. The smaller the better in my opinion.

Then put the peppers into the crockpot (or pot on your stove) along with 1 can of Rotel tomatoes & green chilies and about 3/4 can of chicken broth + your pork. Season with a little bit of salt. Cook on low for about 6-8 hours. Just before you serve it, mix 1/4 cup of water with a couple of spoons of cornstarch or flour and add it to the pot to thicken the liquid.
CIMG2038.jpg

Simple as that. It's not particularly spicy, but it is very rich and hearty. You can spice it up with crushed red pepper flakes, but it's really unnecessary in my opinion.
Very nice pics....makes my stomach growl.
I am a major Chile Verde fan also....its probably my favorite kind.
My "Green Monsta Chili" recipe includes some garlic, & cumin,along with with a dash of brown sugar and some fine diced cilantro near the end of cooking time. A very nice twist I discovered is pork loin and/or chicken thighs hot smoked with apple wood chips for about an hour.

When I was in El Paso, they made chili verde with potatoes instead of tomatoes. I think a little cumin was added to it as well and some onions that were roasted.

Ah, yes. Cumin and garlic. I've definitely added both to this dish with excellent results. In fact, I've played with this dish a lot over the years. I've added cilantro, jalapenos, carrots and dried mustard. To be honest, I like it as simple as possible. It's all about those peppers!

Looks great, love all those roasted peppers. Adding roasted tomatillos adds a great flavor. Like Paulky said add some booze to the pics and join in the drunken chef. Chile Verde one of my favs with a stack of warm tortillas. Nice job :woohoo:

One other thing I like is to fry the cut up pork til just crispy on the outside, then throw it in. Like Hot Stuff said many traditional chile verde recipies include potatos. Anyway you fix it you can't beat pork and chiles. PORK FAT RULES. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Excellent dish and photos. Try adding hominy and even red powder (or enchilada sauce) and you have Posole, one of the best dishes of all time.

I've got some hominy in the pantry and been meaning to try throwing together some Pozole one of these days, it is a tasty dish.

Back