• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking pork rub

hey guys thinking about doing my first pulled pork this weekend, but need ideas for the dry rub to put on the outside. anyone have ideas for this?

-PP

Rubs are a science. I enjoy making them. I've written up this quick little guide to how I approach rubs.

1. Base
2. Salt
3. Sugar
4. Flavors
5. Things to avoid

1. To give it some legs to stand on (a base) use onion and garlic, or other base vegetables/fruits.

2. Salt is essential to a rub. Salt breaks down fats and tissues in the meat which then moisturize and tenderize respectively.

3. If you want a nice bark you've got to have some sugar in there. Not too much or you may get burning.

4. Now season it with the flavors you like, or what compliments the meat. Coriander, fenugreek, hot peppers, paprika; what you like!

5. Things to avoid: Flakes and non-ground ingredients. Make sure your rub is well ground. If you use flakes (as in onion flakes, etc.) or other non-ground ingredients it is not a rub. It won't penetrate or dissolve, so it will sit on the surface and burn.

These are not posted in order of ingredients. Experiment! It's a science ;)

thehotpepper.com said:
Rubs are a science.
No, they are anatomy. :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
Rubs are a science. I enjoy making them. I've written up this quick little guide to how I approach rubs.

1. Base
2. Salt
3. Sugar
4. Flavors
5. Things to avoid

1. To give it some legs to stand on (a base) use onion and garlic, or other base vegetables/fruits.

2. Salt is essential to a rub. Salt breaks down fats and tissues in the meat which then moisturize and tenderize respectively.

3. If you want a nice bark you've got to have some sugar in there. Not too much or you may get burning.

4. Now season it with the flavors you like, or what compliments the meat. Coriander, fenugreek, hot peppers, paprika; what you like!

5. Things to avoid: Flakes and non-ground ingredients. Make sure your rub is well ground. If you use flakes (as in onion flakes, etc.) or other non-ground ingredients it is not a rub. It won't penetrate or dissolve, so it will sit on the surface and burn.

These are not posted in order of ingredients. Experiment! It's a science ;)

Great post!

i listed a few here

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=12301

the biggest thing to remember about a rub is to taste it, keep tasting it until you like the flavor

now i would reccoment injecting the butt.. i use the following as a base and i adjust the salt and different flavors

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------
1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.

Great thread. I concur on the good post THP. You too Bam. I have had Bob Gibson's sauces they are good. I will have to try that rub.

Something I use

For dry rub
3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For mop
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

With my sauce to boot or is that Bhut? ;)

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Up to you for coleslaw --

Back