• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Possible Moruga-Yellow 7 Pot Cross

Ok. Im confused.
Yellow 7 grown in some ts morugas. 80's movies. Australia Day. And how does the yellow 7 get crossed? The seeds came from a yellow 7 grown in some morugas? Flash gordan was really cool as a kid. And John Candy hilarious. Swamp buggies where too much, never seen those. And yellow 7s are delicious! All mine were bump/wrinkly around the top too.

I hear you GA. Confused isn't the right term.

So Prehensile are you saying one of the Morouga plants you have growing now may have had an effect on a Yellow 7 Pot that is growing now? If that is the question then no, it did not have any effect.

So Prehensile are you saying one of the Morouga plants you have growing now may have had an effect on a Yellow 7 Pot that is growing now? If that is the question then no, it did not have any effect.

Agreed.

Prehensile, unless the Yellow 7 Pot plant in question was grown from seeds you saved yourself, there's no way your TS Morugas (or any other plant in your garden) could affect it's genes. Cross-pollinated pods still form true to the female plant's genetics. It's not until after you grow the seeds contained within a cross-pollinated pod that you will see the results of the cross. (So for example, we'll take the two vareties you mentioned, if you cross pollinated a Yellow 7 Pot flower with pollen from a TS Moruga, a Yellow 7 Pot pod will still form. It's the seeds within that pod that are the magic. Grow them out and that's when you will see the mixed genetics ;)).

(Just ignore me if you already knew this. :P)

Like others said, the Yellow 7 Pot does have the genetics to form wrinkles. I dare say that's all that's happening.

ROFLOL!!!!!! this thread has been so much fun reading HATS OFF to my Down Under Brothers!!!!! I was thinking maybe just maybe the pod I showed could be a Cross between a Moruga and Yellow 7, I got the Yellow seven seeds from Jamie(Romy6) and the Moruga! come from Jim Duffy, I was thinking possibly this pod may have been a cross between the 2, I still have it so we just may find out sometime in the future!

Cheers!!!

Jag I would love to grow some Isolated yellows PM me your address and I can SASE you, Thanks for the offer!

I was thinking maybe just maybe the pod I showed could be a Cross between a Moruga and Yellow 7, I got the Yellow seven seeds from Jamie(Romy6) and the Moruga! come from Jim Duffy, I was thinking possibly this pod may have been a cross between the 2, I still have it so we just may find out sometime in the future!

Again though, a pod that has formed from a cross-pollinated flower is still going to form true to that particular plants genetics (so you won't see any of the mixed genetics in that pod, even in the slightest, until after you grow out the seeds contained within the pod). Another example, if you cross pollinated a Bhut Jolokia flower with pollen from, say, a Douglah, the Bhut Jolokia flower is still going to form a Bhut Jolokia pod with absolutely no hint whatsoever that it was pollinated with pollen from the Douglah. It's not until you take the seeds from that pod and grow them out that you will see the results of the mixed genetics.

Think of the female plant as a mother, her pods as wombs and the seeds as babies. When a female gets pregnant, no part of her morphs into a mix of herself and the father, but rather the baby within the womb is the product of mixed genetics. The same is with plants. Cross-pollination doesn't cause the pod on the mother plant to morph into a mix of herself and the father. The pod will still grow true to the mother's own genetics (and in no part the father's).

Makes sense? ;)

In reality, if your Y7 wasn't isolated and was grown near TS Moruga plants, the chance of cross-pollination is certainly there. However, if such is the case that cross-pollination did occur on that particular pod, the wrinkles you are seeing are absolutely no indication. The plant would have produced the same pod even if it was pollinated with it's own pollen. ;)

I understand, the point I failed to make was I understood your first attempt to explain this to me, somehow this yellow 7 ended up in my Moruga section, I'm sure its due to the marker was lost during potting. Since I separated the plants about 6 months ago, they produced many pods, only 3 pods developed on this one plant they all turned yellow Hmmm in the Moruga section, yellow pods ripples on the pod maybeeee, though its scientifically impossible, odds are better for this one plant to produce a cross no?

Here is a picture of a second generation Scorpion plant that has surely crossed with something, they are flaming hot and shaped different than a regular Scorpion, since I had Red Datils(another cross) in the area my guess is these 2 crossed, I call em TSM1, only one plant showed up with these pods none of the 50 or so second generation Scorpion Pods look like it.
IMG_0112a.jpg

Ah, check, gotcha now. ;)

Yeah, I guess, grow it on and see what happens! You just never know...... :party:

The TSM1 looks cool. They look like some real nice big fat pods! :cool:

Back