• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Possible soft water issue?

Another thing you can do is get a fish tank aerator. Using the air pump and letting your water sit for 24 or more hours should help out a lot with your problems. It is much cheaper than buying bottled spring water every time you need to water your plants.

You can also start to set up large containers for rain catches. It seems like if I would have done that over the last few weeks I would have enough water for the rest of my season right now.

My wife and i switched to "mostly" rain water...( We'd have to give up growing room for more water collecting, No WAY.. ) and i got to admit... we got into mid august last year before having to turn on the hose.. all added up it comes in at about 250 gallons every time it rains REALLY hard. fiskars makes a good gutter water collector, we have 3 and i drilled hose holes out to other containers as well.. similar to the global bucket water collection idea.

i don't even have my hoses attached yet. here is the global bucket thing:

not mine, but these kids rock.. i had to silicone seal up the tops of my garbage bins (mosquitos). and used plastic tubing.. but that's the coolness of it you can use almost anything.

Might as well... I know my issue is water related as I have my plants in two completely different types of potting soil. Doing a comparison to see which one they grow better in. I do hope leaving this water out the past two days and getting all the chlorine evaporated will turn them around.

-J
Look at the thread "diagnosis please" and it shows a before and after of my scorpion plant, and that's just after 48 hours. Granted some of it was soil related but I have no doubt that some was water related also.

Update with pictures....

Picture below is when things started to go bad with leaf deformation... Picture taken on 07 May
update0.jpg

After picture using water that has been sitting out in the sun to reduce suspected high levels of chlorine. Taken today 12 May
update1.jpg

Below are macro pictures of the most affected plants that were and still a bit affected by the deformation... As you can see though in the before and after there has been a big jump in over all growth but still not producing normal leaves...

update4.jpg

update3.jpg

update2.jpg

It has only been five days since the using rain water or chlorine free water, hopefully the production of new leaves that are not deformed will start soon.

-J

Did your growth ever improve, some of my leaves are looking the exact same way and I can't figure out what is causing the weird leaves.

Growth wise the plants are thriving and getting rather large pretty quickly... with that being said I haven't noticed any real changes yet with the deformed leaves... I'm going to leave them in the shade for the next two weeks to give them some time to cycle things through. With mine not all of them are affected, some have it pretty bad and some are just booming with no issues. It's crazy haha. As long as they keep growing I'll be happy!

-J

I'm seeing the same exact thing you are, not all of it is deformed and some of it looks really good(especially the color). I can't figure it out either.

I did a soil test today and the soil came back as pH 7.0 and the nitrogen was listed as "medium". Soil was taken an inch down from the top and I went on the assumption that if it was medium at an inch then it would likely be listed as "high" further down. All plants were flushed with a total of 5 gallons of rain water. Not sure if that was enough to get them all flushed completely or if it had any effect at all, I'll give it a few days and test again.

With a pH of 7.0 is that an issue with it being .2 above recommended level maximum?

-J

Quick update...

Everything has been re potted and getting the morning sun from around 0700-1430 for a few days now. I removed the leaves that were the most damaged and have started to see a burst in new growth. It looks like everything is turning around quite nicely and starting to get back on track.

-J

plantout.jpg

Update ....

Below is one of the two Choc Bhuts... It has a bit of hail damage from recent storms but over all it's doing well and starting to grow like crazy.

chocbhut.jpg

Back