• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Possible to get brances from this chili stump or?

when i moved my chili plants inside from being outside during summer they was heavily attacked by aphids that i didn't see before there was hundreds of them on my plants, it was my first aphid attack. instead of cleaning the plant i cut away all the affected brances and threw away 3 other chili plants that I'm starting over to grow from seed, i should have fought the aphids instead of taking the easy way but done is done. one plant have survived and is growing bigger then before, and the 2nd havent shown any signs for about 2 months, is the stump game over?

D8EEDE69-1786-4709-B685-FC9F262A90C5.jpg

61CD42B5-8218-4017-BF2D-DDE0C928F4C8.jpg

Should be growing branches in no time! 😉

That seems kinda long...
When zooming in on the photo I have the impression that the wood looks dead... ☹️

If both were cut back at the same time like that I'd say it's dead. Even if were to come back it'll probably be stunted weak. If you're not ready to let go yet, I'd chop it at the base and maybe that will get the plants attention and encourage it to grow.

Last edited:
If both were cut back at the same time like that I'd say it's dead. Even if were to come back it'll probably be stunted weak. If you're not ready to let go yet, I'd chop it at the base and maybe that will get the plants attention and encourage it to grow.
i have seedlings on the way so its not end of the world if it doesnt grow back, but if there is a chance to save it, it would be a fun project to try even if it will be weak/stunted. both plants were cut at the same time but the healthy plant on picture was in the second greenhouse which was not so very affected by aphids, it had a few but not as much as the other 4 so this stump was cut back a lot more then the other one.

So you mean i should cut it closer to the soil?

it's fine if this will take months for it to grow back it will be an fun thing to try out, it have been standing there for 2 months already where i was hoping it would show some signs but it have been the same since i cut it.

Last edited:
i have seedlings on the way so its not end of the world if it doesnt grow back, but if there is a chance to save it, it would be a fun project to try even if it will be weak/stunted. both plants were cut at the same time but the healthy plant on picture was in the second greenhouse which was not so very affected by aphids, it had a few but not as much as the other 4 so this stump was cut back a lot more then the other one.

So you mean i should cut it closer to the soil?

it's fine if this will take months for it to grow back it will be an fun thing to try out, it have been standing there for 2 months already where i was hoping it would show some signs but it have been the same since i cut it.
yes right above soil line like 1/2in, right there at the first bend where it starts to turn up straight. Hopefully you notice it still green when you cut it.

Thanks, i guess this should be ok? i can't say i see any green. but the wood is a lot more wet then it was on the top, it was very dry on the top when i cut it earlier.

i understand some people might think im trolling with the question, not that this chili plant is any special plant that cant be regrown again. but if there is a slightly chance then its something id like to give a try, same with the potato on my first picture. one potato wont feed me for long, but fun to give it a try.

5DE7E11E-FBF4-458F-B8B0-4967AE897DFF.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. 2 months seems rather long for NO growth at all. Cutting right above soil level was my last-ditch suggestion, looks like you got that already. At this point, it can't hurt, right?
Exactly, it probably doesn't require to much light or light at all at this stage? and not much water so why not just let it stay there and see how it goes, have plenty of space and it would be fun to see it grow again.

I would think so. I'm curious to see if the cut-back pays off. Any remaining energy should now be focused on the healthiest part of the stem and just the few best growth areas. Giving it enough warmth to cause it to think it's the growing season might kick it into gear. It's good to hear it's not a particularly special plant in case it doesn't pull through, but it's cool to try these things and see what you can do. Good luck!

I would think so. I'm curious to see if the cut-back pays off. Any remaining energy should now be focused on the healthiest part of the stem and just the few best growth areas. Giving it enough warmth to cause it to think it's the growing season might kick it into gear. It's good to hear it's not a particularly special plant in case it doesn't pull through, but it's cool to try these things and see what you can do. Good luck!
Thanks, i'l let you all know how it went in a couple of months or before if it shows any signs of growth, have added an extra lamp where it stands so hopefully 5 grow lights is enough light for it.

Last edited:
i gave up on this project a week ago, nothing had changed on the stump other then some white looking substances on the tip of the stump, kinda looked like bubbly soap in small scale, no clue what it was, i didnt touch it or such. just yeeted it out and have a new plant of same type that is growing big, just gotta fight them aphids everyday.

Back