Pot Color - Root Temps

Just potted my plants in their pots - 7 gallon grow bags.  These bags are reversible - one side is white and the other is black.  I've done about a 50/50 split of both colors as an experiment.  At the end of the day today, the black bags were warm on the surface towards the sunset.  Today was only in the low 70's.  I'm concerned that in the upper 90's, my roots are gonna get fried on the black bags.  I realize at high noon, the sun will be shining down the bags, not on the sides and the color won't matter, but all the same, any thoughts?

the white on the inside will keep your plants cooler. im not sure they are reversible but just nice bags??   i could be very wrong!   i will tell you you have nothing to worry about in pa. as far as cooking your plants inside a container. the soil protects the roots.

Yes.

Remember plant size is variable even under identical conditions, so you'll never 100% know how much is attributable to pot color. But with enough plants i'm sure you'll get a good idea.

I'd def pick up a long thermometer to make a comparison. All of the dollar stores in my area carry them.

The black grow bags are so common, and people get such great results with them, that i don't think they'll be much of a problem.

The fact that they're breathable helps, but i do know that black plastic pots get relatively warm to the touch, no so with white plastic.

also white on the outside of anything lets mold grow,thats why people spray paint there pvc pipes if they are shown to the sun.

you probably shouldn't have to worry. i'm in florida and i use black pots for my potted plants and i pretty much get pods all year round just much less during the cold months.

just make sure they're watered when they need it. pots dry out quick and need to be hit with nutes more often

I grow on a rooftop that gets extremely hot in the summer.  Black pots do absorb a lot of heat and I have had healthy plants stall.  I wrapped the pots in old white sheets and it made a real difference in the root zone temps.  Now I use white pots and white grow bags.

sicman said:
the white on the inside will keep your plants cooler. im not sure they are reversible but just nice bags??   i could be very wrong!   i will tell you you have nothing to worry about in pa. as far as cooking your plants inside a container. the soil protects the roots.
The white is going to reflect all of the wavelengths of light, so it won't absorb as much heat. The black absorbs all of the wavelengths, so it is going to absorb the most heat of any color(if you consider black a color). That's the way I understand it, at least. I don't think having white on the inside of the bags is going to do much for you.

I can say that pot color makes a difference here. I can watch the plants on my balcony and see the ones in black containers droop when the sun hits them in the 100 degree heat while the ones in white don't even seem to notice.

Stangely warm here in PA yesterday - about 87 deg.  I checked the bags by hand around 6pm and the side of the bag facing the sun was quite warm, but I stuck my finger down in the soil on that side and it was nice and cool.  So it seems the soil will insulate the soil enough that I shouldn't have to worry too much about it.

I am down here in Florida and I have 8 plants going in black plastic pots which sit right on the hot concrete of our patio. None have so far shown any stress I would relate to hot root zones, but now that the roots have really filled the space I am keeping a close eye on them. They get direct sun for about 7 hours. If they start showing signs of wilting during the day I will put them up off the concrete onto a pallet.

Back