• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Pot or ground

New to this so looking for input. In the Dallas Tx area and wondering if it's better to just plant peppers in the ground and start new seeds each year or is it pretty easy to leave in pots and try to over winter them?

I have plants in a pot on my patio and then I have a spot at a local community garden. This year, my patio potted plants are doing a lot better, they don't grow as fast or have ripe pods as soon, but they are healthier and have bigger pods. I think the clay soil we have here was difficult for the roots to make headway into and there was some disease or pest or something that set the plants in the ground back when I first put them out there.

Try both, see what happens, pots give you more control which is nice if you put a lot of effort into getting them going.

For me, it is in the ground 100%. My plants are at least 400% bigger, as are the pods.

I haven't had to water once, barely fed, and spent weeks away without anyone watching them and they are doing amazing.

we definitely get freezes here in DFW...the only plants I have that will live thru the winter outside are wild tepins from outside Waco...I only grow in containers and overwinter them in their pots inside my garage...

I always take pot over ground... ;)

I am splitting mine up next year, some inground and some pots.

Working on some compost as we speak.....

I notice my inground plants grow bushier . Ferts don't wash out nearly as fast,ph isn't affected as much and watering is far less. A lot easier for a new grower like myself or someone with less time. My potted plants are easier to harvest and check for pests. This year mine are doing much better than last year. I used a time released granular and they eat when they want. I would suggest that to anyone who doesn't have time to constantly mix ferts or someone who doesn't have drip fert/irrigation.

Back