• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pot sizes

Everybody has their own ways that work for them. You definitely don't always need huge pots for huge harvests. My friend Luigi is the greatest chile grower I have ever seen and he grows in small pots
canonsx028.jpg

canonsx186.jpg
Yes!!!!Amazing plants. It is all in the fertilizer.

Everytime I see those pics it makes me smile because it takes a Lotta love and patience to get them that way... Hope I can pull off something tht cool.

My minimum is 5 gallons. If I over winter I'll cut roots and tops off so the plant will fit into a 1-3 gallon pot.

I wish I lived next door to Luigi.

I'm sure its just the fertilizer he uses and nothing to do with him being a great grower :liar:

When you grow in a small pot with medium that maybe once had some fertilizer in it, it will be a matter of supplying the correct nutrients and having proper trellising. Grow medium should not be looked at like a nutrient source. When it comes to growing in containers, fertilizer programs are one of the big key factors. ;)

When you grow in a small pot with medium that maybe once had some fertilizer in it, it will be a matter of supplying the correct nutrients and having proper trellising. Grow medium should not be looked at like a nutrient source. When it comes to growing in containers, fertilizer programs are one of the big key factors. ;)
Please give me some more advice on container growing :) No offence but some of us have been doing this for a very long time, and I personally use very little fertilizers

Please give me some more advice on container growing :) No offence but some of us have been doing this for a very long time, and I personally use very little fertilizers

"it will be a matter of supplying the correct nutrients "

I did not state anything about quantity. I too do not use much fertilizer but the fertilizer I use is high in Calcium and PK. If you want huge crop yields in small pots there is no way to do that unless you have a very good fertilizer program.

There is a lot more to growing huge plants then pumping them with nutrients. I personally don't find that chiles need much nutrients at all but optimally they seem to prefer a well balanced fertilizer throught their life-cycle, although C. chinenses do seem to need more magnesium

My thoughts are that experience, especially in peppers, since that is my focus, is very important when I analyze a person's growing advice.

Thanks for your ideas Potawie.

My thoughts are that experience, especially in peppers, since that is my focus, is very important when I analyze a person's growing advice.

Thanks for your ideas Potawie.

When any plant, tomatoes or peppers, use up all nutrients in a grow medium there is no other option but to repot or add fertilizer, anyone agree? I am sure it does not take much to understand that even cacti need to be fertilized and they feed less then peppers.....If a grow medium has no fertilizer in it, either it was once there or it is not at all, you would need to fertilize to have large harvests in small pots. It is not like just repotting or letting a large container full of good, nutrient rich potting mix do the job....

I can bet 100% if you asked the breeder how he grew those plants in those pictures he would say it is fertilizer, either organic or not.... Trellising, water habits, and other things determine the grow, I would not consider that because that is just a given.

Y'all should chill out a bit. Everyone has something that works for them and if they're happy with it even better. Some people use ferts to blast the plant with nutrients, some use compost teas to feed the soil to feed the plant. Everyone has their own unique growing style how you manicure them changes how they grow as well and determines your yield. It's a combination of experience and getting help from others to perfect your style of growing. I think you're both right but your ideas got miscommunicated because this is online and text can be misinterpreted. Hash it out in the chat or in a pm, this was supposed to be about pot sizes for a first time container gardener. I wish I knew how luigi got them like that, i would be so happy if I could put that much care into my plants. I'm growing in geopots and want to have them on my deck as centerpieces.

"Some people use ferts to blast the plant with nutrients, some use compost teas to feed the soil to feed the plant"

Compost tea is a source of nutrition......

I said fertilizer is a huge part of growing in small containers, then someone said that is not the case.

if not fertilizer then it must be magic.

"this was supposed to be about pot sizes for a first time container gardener"

This info should be very useful. If you want to get large harvests in small pots you need good fertilizer and trellising. Growing with just potting mix and using large containers is easy. I know because I have done both.

If you want to know there is NO one pot size for peppers.... What is your zone? zone 6a , plants and pots are smaller then someone in zone 9a.

That proves my point exactly, I wasn't getting at magic for how big they are, I meant how beautiful they look and his technique of weaving them together and increasing nodes.

That proves my point exactly, I wasn't getting at magic for how big they are, I meant how beautiful they look and his technique of weaving them together and increasing nodes.

Yea his trellising techniques are great!! I can not see the containers they are in but the one in the back could not be any bigger then a #7 nursery pot.?
And yea I was getting at "magic" of how BIG they are. That is great yield right there I will have to say. I was just making a point of to get that many peppers in a small pot the nutrients have to come from some where and if it is not the grow medium then fertilizer is what will give you plants that look like that, organic or in-organic fertilizer.... As I stated a few posts back-Posted Yesterday, 05:10 PM "When you grow in a small pot with medium that maybe once had some fertilizer in it, it will be a matter of supplying the correct nutrients and having proper trellising".

Duuuude thanks so much!!! I'm doing that with all my plants, that's one of the sickest things I've ever seen.

And yeah I gotcha on the nutrient regimen, I've got a pretty good one going and my babies seem to be loving it.

Back