• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pot up: 5 Gal. to 10 Gal.

Hey all,

I have this lovely Choco-Bhut:

33d9u1t.jpg

I have this lovely empty ten gal pot.

x55i02.jpg

I extra soil.

Should I pot up? Wait until I bring it outdoors ? It looks happy. Do Bhuts like to be cramped or lots of space ?

- Mega

Pretty plant. It does not look like it is needing anything, including potting up. Healthy as is. Why fix what isn't broke? Your back will thank you for waiting until it is time to plant outside (carrying 10 gallons feels different than carrying 5, that is for sure).

-Mark

That is what I am thinking also. But at the same time if I can get an extra 4 months of root grow into the extra 5 gals it may really help this plant to become a real producer for me. Anyone think it is worth it ?

Look at that 500 posts ! YAY !

In any circumstances (if there are any), can a plant that size stay in the 5Gallon container for the rest of it's life or there will come a time when it should be transferred?

In any circumstances (if there are any), can a plant that size stay in the 5Gallon container for the rest of it's life or there will come a time when it should be transferred?

sure, a plant will eventually get to a point where it wont get any bigger. However, maintenance will be needed like root pruning, soil amendments, and so forth.

Think of a Bonsai or bonchi, you can keep a plant the same size for ever, but it wont be easy. :snooty:
It's easier just to let them grow out the full season, and winter them in the fall by pruning the roots and cutting back the plant to a twig.

The cool part about wintering is, you will be able to change out the soil and selectively choose what branches will be the main branches, thus sculpting the plant.
Also without leaves, the cold, the bugs, the bacteria, and the fungus have no reason to attack. Think of it as hibernation.

Depending on how much light and heat plus expected winter growth you might want and be able to get would be the deciding factor.
I would just leave it a lone till spring then repot it. Moving it in a 10 gallon container is really a drag in more ways than one.

I am not too worried about the move as I plan on making my G/F do it. Light may be an issue as it is in front of an Eastern facing window; but it seems to be loving it now ? Heat also seems to be a non-issue. Decsions decision... maybe I'll pot up one of my doubles in it just in case it goes it won't be too big of an issue.

- Sean O.

Back