• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Potato Tires

It's true folks... it really does work! I've been growing potatoes in tires for aeons and if you're into having extra spuds laying around the pantry through fall and the holidays it sure doesn't hurt to give tire growing a shot(if you haven't tried it already) and there really isn't much of a cost either. Veterans of the potato-growing art will surely concur!

tatoes.jpg

By fuseboxshot at 2012-06-30

Tire shops abroad usually have an unlimited abundance of used tires on hand if not close by and due to tire turn-over coming in faster than they leave the place they're usually more than happy to give away as many tires as you're willing to cram into your vehicle.

One single tire is all it takes yet should you have the desire you can grow up to 3 tires in height and in some cases(Texas) I've witnessed a neighbor who'd pulled-off going 4 tires high!

Now... opinions will vary as to the proper source of starter potatoes and "eyes" used but I'll only be divulging my own personal method here. Do a little research and shop around for what other growers preferences may be and you'll surely find a happy medium that works for you.

First and foremost I try to stay organic in my practices. Whether the source be potatoes purchased at the store that shrunk and sprouted eyes or by obtaining what are known as "planter potatoes" or "seed potatoes" from your local nursery it's always a good idea to know exactly what you're growing because afterall you're going to be eating it.

Why tires?

Well for one, they're black and they conduct heat! Throughout the cooler months of the year when the duration of day and light are shorter the steel belts woven within the tire will hold warmth longer than any other conventional planter. It's a match made in heaven! You can start potatoes earlier in the year using tires in that they retain warmth. Whereas if you were growing in the ground you would have to wait until the last estimated freeze date exclusive to your area you can instead grow in tires. Your plants suseptibility to frost is greatly reduced.

In this year's case I'd accumulated quite a few eyes from potatoes that were purchased at our local farmer's market and through our weekly organic food basket delivery service we're lucky enough to have here in the bay area. By proxy I tend to cut the eyes out of the potato via core-sample using the tip of a sharp knife whereas some growers deposit a whole planter potato when starting a potato tire project.

So here it all is:

1) Find a tire shop and get as many used tires as you'd like to use. Start as many stacks as your little heart desires and stack as high as your season regionally allows you.

2) Location, location, location. Figure out where you wanna put your tire stack(s).

3) If you have existing soil that is grow-worthy it's a good idea to break, loosen and turn-over the soil to be used within the tire(s) from either the location where the tire is to be placed or from a nearby source. Some may use store-purchased soils. Both will work... I've just had better luck with the native soil in any number of locations that I've lived.

*In my case I've got a small gopher population on my hands and so extra measures are required that may not be applicable to everyone. I place a 3 foot by 3 foot cutting of hardwear cloth between the ground and the first tire to stop them little rat bastards from diggin their happy asses up through my potato stash!

4) Place a tire in a desired south-facing sunny location and throw 3 to 4 inches of soil inside of the tire or the equivalent of coming flush with the tires inner bead closest to the ground.

5) Place planter potatoes, cut-out individual eyes or whatever method that works the best for you in a wide spread fashion atop the soil. I like to decorate mine like a pepperoni pizza for example with all eyes pointing upward. That way all of the eyes are evenly distributed within the growing space and are in a natural position to root and grow vertically.

6) Add another thin, even layer of soil just enough to cover the eyes(or more soil for planter potatoes) an inch or two and if it doesn't rain where you live then give them a good soaking once a week or two.

That's it!

But why do just one single tire and get just a few potatoes when you can continually add soil and additional eyes?

Here's the prize folks: All parts of the greens generated from the eyes when covered are capable of rooting and become more potatoes! There's a little skill involved too because if you add too much soil and stunt the greens you'll have to add more eyes and that means even more potatoes! It's a WIN-WIN-WIN any way you look at it.

You can continually add soil and additional eyes until the greens themselves inform you that their growing season is over. When ready to harvest: Simply pry the tires apart, knock em' over and you'll be up to your ears in more spuds than you can shake a stick at! Happy Holidays to you and yours!

though i agree, the tire thing works really well and i have done it, i have converted.

take a look at any tire recycle that has gone up in flames and look how fast the government now steps in, why..... because it is SHIT! it really doesn't have to go up in flames, it just has to seep its juice.

go to your local dollar store and purchase their largest storage bags and substitute that for growing. the crap that seeps from tires really is not worth your health.

i hope for you, all the best, keep growing wisely.

Toxic? (twitch twitch)... are you telling me that it's toxic(twitch-hack-cough)?

I've been doing this(hack hack) for years and I'm just fine(sneeze). See! Can't you tell(cough cough) that there's really nothing seeping out of those tires(ahem- haaaaaaaaack)???

Just wondering...Do you often see those idiots "Ghostriding" on thier cars in the bay area?

Skip to 55 secs to see what I mean.

That's just wrong.

I don't know about having seen a school bus but I've seen those same wheels on everything from Ford Mustangs to Crown Victoria's. Just blows my mind.

Yes... to answer your question!

A little more information about the toxicity in tires. YOU decide.

The following quotes were found here: http://tennzen.blogs...ow-veggies.html

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency provides a wealth of information about scrap tires, their potential harm, and how to properly recycle and reuse them. It lists two major concerns about harmful chemicals from tires, but only as a result of either burning them or shredding them into mulch. It shows no potential harm resulting from planting in tires. In fact, they even have a picture of some veggies growing in tires! Ash from burned tires is a toxic material and barren soils have resulted where huge piles of tires burned. In other words, nothing will grow where tires have been burned. As far as unburned tires, the only potentially toxic metal in tires is zinc. Studies which show soil toxicity resulting from exposure to tires are based on using rubber mulch (i.e. shredded tires) - which radically exposes the zinc to leaching."

"As far as planting in whole tires, or in tires with the sidewalls cut out, there is no evidence I can find that indicates zinc leaching from whole, unshredded tires into soil."

Back