• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Potential blizzard impacts to NoVa's grow season

Well, this little storm in the mid-Atlantic definitely produced some snow. It started snowing yesterday at about 10AM, and it is still going. I shoveled about 6" of snow last night, another 16-18" this morning, another 4" this afternoon, and will probably need to shovel again before sundown. However, that isn't what might impact my grow season.

Lost power last night around 1:30AM, and it just came back on. So, the 80 peat pucks that haven't germinated got down to about 57 degrees, and my basement where my grow box is was probably a bit lower than that. As of right now, the plants look fine, but only time will tell. I figure that the germination probably won't be impacted, but we'll see.

Oh, I'm not giving up. The heat pads on the germination trays are bringing the temps back up, and I turned on a space heater right in front of the grow box to get the seedlings back up to a warm temp.

Hoping like heck that this turns out to be a non-event, especially since things were starting out so nicely!

My garage got as low as 45 last year and it did not affect any of my plants. They grow slower at that temp, but they were not damaged.

Good luck and I hope the weather improves for you!
jacob

i think you'll be fine. a brief cooling of the seeds, although not optimal, won't harm them. Nothing to worry about.

Back