• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pots vs pouches

just wondering if anyone has done a comparision of pouches could be walmart bags, root pouches ect, vs regular garden pots..
1.is there a root mass difference?
2.plant size difference?
3.does it give off more pods?
4.or does it just dry up quicker lol?
5a.side question 10 gallon vs 15 gallon?
5b.what should i get?
i had 1g plants right now half are in containers rest are in root pouches and have 6 in airpots or superoot airpots, and from what i see the plant size isnt much difference really the superoot airpots seem to have the biggest plant so far.. just wondering before i buy a bunch of 15G planters if I should buy pouches or just regular pots, price its cheaper for me to get pouches by about half.

I read the difference is that the pouches air-prune the roots so the plant won't get root-bound and eventually stunt. I don't think you'd really see any notable differences until the plastic pots become solidly root-bound.

Balduvian said:
just wondering if anyone has done a comparision of pouches could be walmart bags, root pouches ect, vs regular garden pots..
1.is there a root mass difference?
2.plant size difference?
3.does it give off more pods?
4.or does it just dry up quicker lol?
5a.side question 10 gallon vs 15 gallon?
5b.what should i get?
i had 1g plants right now half are in containers rest are in root pouches and have 6 in airpots or superoot airpots, and from what i see the plant size isnt much difference really the superoot airpots seem to have the biggest plant so far.. just wondering before i buy a bunch of 15G planters if I should buy pouches or just regular pots, price its cheaper for me to get pouches by about half.

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes put tray under it to slow run off
5. 10g good, 15g better unless you dont have room for monster plants.

for the price of Wally bags, why not?

To me it's mostly about aesthetics. If you have a fenced-in back yard where you're going to put them or some other arrangement where your neighbors won't care, bags are fine. In my neighborhood, the only houses with fences are where people have dogs they need to keep in and the houses are very close together. I can about guarantee I'd hear from a neighbor, the HO association, the city, or all of the above if I used bags in my backyard.

geeme said:
To me it's mostly about aesthetics. If you have a fenced-in back yard where you're going to put them or some other arrangement where your neighbors won't care, bags are fine. In my neighborhood, the only houses with fences are where people have dogs they need to keep in and the houses are very close together. I can about guarantee I'd hear from a neighbor, the HO association, the city, or all of the above if I used bags in my backyard.
I know my mother in law HATES! my wally bags. Every time she comes over she comments on the "ugly blue bags."

The coco hemp growers really seem to like the grow bags. So much so that I'm thinking of giving them a try with my coco chili grow this year. I have a few candidates already lined up.

Neil

no way Walmart bags are better than plastic pots. 

Plus, please don't shop at Walmart...it's a horrible company. 

ColdSmoke said:
no way Walmart bags are better than plastic pots. 

Plus, please don't shop at Walmart...it's a horrible company. 

Wally bags eat plastic pots for breakfast, I have used them for 2 seasons now and only have 2 issues with them.
  • From Walmart
  • Ugly Blue
I have pictures to back up my claims, however people are probably tired of my posting them lol. The only Reason I use them over any other is Price.
@ 50 cents each, and not having to wait for shipping, its hard to not get them. If I can find some black ones from a dollar store or something I would.

I used walmart bags last year and had zero problem with mold.  I also used root pouches which perform basically the same as walmart bags too without issue.  Also, what's your reasoning for thinking plastic pots are better?

None...I was just questioning the sentiment that Walmart bags are better than traditional planters. It's all relative though...I prefer pots because they look so much better and I don't want my nice deck decorated with shopping bags to save $20 lol. I can see them being equal for sure, but a lot of the fabric bags I see in nurseries around here have white mold all over them. 

ColdSmoke said:
None...I was just questioning the sentiment that Walmart bags are better than traditional planters. It's all relative though...I prefer pots because they look so much better and I don't want my nice deck decorated with shopping bags to save $20 lol. I can see them being equal for sure, but a lot of the fabric bags I see in nurseries around here have white mold all over them. 

It's possible that it is mold growing on them, but it could also be salt buildup from excess fertilizer.  If the potting medium is organic, it could very well be a mold buildup, but I highly doubt it is detrimental to the health of the plant.  Rather it is more than likely beneficial fungi that have proliferated.  

If you are wanting form over function, then by all means stay away from wally bags.  But given the same growing conditions, with the only thing being different is pots vs breathable bags, the bags will win hands down in terms of function. 

Do they really breathe that much better if you have the right mix with good drainage? I'm just asking questions here...How many gallons are the bags?

ColdSmoke said:
Do they really breathe that much better if you have the right mix with good drainage? I'm just asking questions here...How many gallons are the bags?

Yes, the walmart bags breath nicely.  In doing so they promote air pruning of the roots which cause the roots to not circle around into a tangled mess like traditional pots do.  Instead it causes the roots send out side shoots which fill up the potting medium allowing the plant to get to more nutrients than it can from traditional pots.  I'm not sure what the actual gallon size of the walmart bags are, but as I said earlier I used both walmart bags and root pouches last year.  The root pouches were 5 gallons, and the walmart bags held more soil than the root pouches did.  If I had to guess, I would say it was probably closer to 7 gallons.

Back