• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pots!

Well, I have started too many peppers, I have the peppers in the garden that are going into the garden with about 20 extras. I was looking to buy some pots and was searching through the past threads about pot size etc...

I came across this link:
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Elite-Nursery-Container/productinfo/CN-NCE/

Are these pretty stable pots that can be used for years to come? I might end up getting 3 or 5 gallon pots...I'll have to get more potting soil too...

Seems like a good price if ya can't buy locally. Hard to tell how thick the plastic is...that'd be a big factor in durability.

But, I'd try yer wal-mart, homedepot, or nursery first as shipping costs can be a PITA.

I'd go for the 5gal as it's better to have too large than too small. ;)

I'm an exception in using smaller 8"x8" pots, but that's because I'm entirely growing indoors and have no room for huge plants and pots.

So far I checked our Walmart and Lowes and they only seem to have the pots that cost like $5+ each. I know they would probably last a while, but that still seems a bit much!

I did stop by the local nursery to ask if they sold these type of pots, but I didn't get a straight answer as it was 5 PM (closing time) and they appeared to be in a rush to leave. They said they didn't know what they would sell them for and I would have to come back at a later time..hehe.

Try hitting up some local delis and restaurants, see if they have any spare food grade 5 gallon buckets they're not using anymore or are gonna throw away. I got a few from the local olive joint, they're just as good as the buckets you can buy in home depot, plus they're free.

Skydiver said:
Try hitting up some local delis and restaurants, see if they have any spare food grade 5 gallon buckets they're not using anymore or are gonna throw away. I got a few from the local olive joint, they're just as good as the buckets you can buy in home depot, plus they're free.

Good idea!

Man I wish I knew of that site about two weeks ago, I wouldn't have ordered the three gallon plastic bags to put my plants in.

I've still got a couple of dozen more to plant out so I just ordered 25 of the 3 gallon containers. Guess what? The shipping this place charges is cheaper than what the bag place charges. Smack me upside the head twice!

Try looking/asking around your local nursery. I picked up quite a few 8 inch pots at our local nursery, and they had many other larger sizes too. These pots they just had piled up in the back of the greenhouse, and they were all leftovers. They sold them to me for about .50 cents apiece. The bigger ones where around a buck apiece.

inolan22 said:
Well, I have started too many peppers, I have the peppers in the garden that are going into the garden with about 20 extras. I was looking to buy some pots and was searching through the past threads about pot size etc...

I came across this link:
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Elite-Nursery-Container/productinfo/CN-NCE/

Are these pretty stable pots that can be used for years to come? I might end up getting 3 or 5 gallon pots...I'll have to get more potting soil too...

I ordered a bunch of 5 and 1 gallon containers from them. They are of good quality IMO and should last for years. They are a little expensive to ship because of their bulkiness. Good company that has lots of stuff. I got my Neem oil from them at the same time.

In the UK some stores that sell flowers will let you have the pots they come in cheap or free (I got 16 10litre pots for £2 last week). So I'd say try a florist or a store with a flowers section.

(For UK residents, go to Morrisons supermarket towards the end of the day)

bigt said:
I ordered a bunch of 5 and 1 gallon containers from them. They are of good quality IMO and should last for years. They are a little expensive to ship because of their bulkiness. Good company that has lots of stuff. I got my Neem oil from them at the same time.

Seconded.
I ordered the 5 Gallon containers. They are a bit flimsy but I have no problems with them. So far they are certainly getting the job done.

Check with your local landscaper or gardener they get shrubs and stuff in big pots that usually get tossed away after they plant them at a customers house. I was able to procure about 30 pots this way. Although I am lucky my mother-in-law rents garage space to three landscapers.

Well, our local nursery was able to hook me up with some 3 gallon pots pretty cheap!

Exciting! Now I just need to get some soil to pot up the peppers!

Went to order 60 of the 2.5 gallon pots and the price came out to $36.20. Great deal! However when I went to check out I have to pay shipping of $23.67???? Not sure why they use federal express ground, the most expensive shipping out available plus what ever "handling" charge they add on top. This comes out to pennies short of $60.00!! Making the pots the same cost as the regular ones at any garden supply shop at a $1.00 each. So much for a good deal I'm just going to get them from the Home depot...

i tyoo have started over fifty seeds and abot 200 more to come this season so i'll try to get some new pots ans they all have some kick @$# root system for little buggers.

Back