• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil potting soil

What do you guys use for potting soil? I planted all of my peppers in miracle grow potting soil ( before I found this site and heard that it was a no no :oops:) and my habs and banana peppers are turning yellow and losing leaves. I am convinced i'm gonna need to change the soil and I would like to hear everyones thoughts. Thanks for any info.

pro-mix actually does contain micro and macro nutrients but I still haven't figured out exactly how much. Works good for me

many problems with promix and alot of people here think I am a nut but last year many greenhouses lost thousands due to bad bails of promix.
I use sunshine number 2 this year and all is well.
get your ph tested and start there you may have a problem not related to the soil .

I am a newbie to growing my own plants but I got some potting soil from walmart brand is hydroponic or something like that
was $1.97 for a 40 lb bag. Dont get it heavy and compact stuff is junk well that just my thoughts im gonna have to mix the chit out of it to get my $1.97 back :lol:

shayneyasinski said:
many problems with promix and alot of people here think I am a nut but last year many greenhouses lost thousands due to bad bails of promix.
I use sunshine number 2 this year and all is well.
get your ph tested and start there you may have a problem not related to the soil .

Just wondering what sort of problems you had with the bad pro-mix. I know hundreds of people using the stuff and have never heard of any problems but would like to know what to look out for in case I get a bad batch or hear of other with problems.

POTAWIE said:
pro-mix actually does contain micro and macro nutrients but I still haven't figured out exactly how much. Works good for me

Me too...

POTAWIE said:
Just wondering what sort of problems you had with the bad pro-mix. I know hundreds of people using the stuff and have never heard of any problems but would like to know what to look out for in case I get a bad batch or hear of other with problems.

Yes, please tell... I love the stuff, but if there is a problem with it being tainted or something, I will need to look for something else. :(

I've been reading up on the Miracle Grow organic stuff, and the most appalling thing I've discovered is that they're buying up small organic companies right and left! Geeez, and I thought we didn't have any choice before! It's bought up Morning Song, Whitney Farms, Hyponex, Super Soil, Bovung, Country Pride, Earthgro, and Black Magic.

I can't find the NPK ratio for the organic potting soil, but the organic soil amendment is better than the conventional, although it is still higher in nitrogen than in phosphorus or potassium. I suspect if it is mixed correctly in your garden soil, it won't be too bad.

No promix dealer within 100 miles. So basicly i need something with little fertilizer that will drain well? Thanks for all of the responses.

I am in the situation as Pam, No local Pro-mix dealer in state.
One of the local nursery had some Pro-mix Bx for their own use, and they wanted $40 for 3.7Cuft bail... :rolleyes:

I heard the closest to Promix is Sunshine # 4 mix. Any opinion on Sunshine?

I am planning to create my own potting mix. Lets see what happens.

Back