• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Powder making tips

Hey everyone, I have previously been really into making my own hot sauce out of ghost and habenero peppers; however, it is a possibility I could be missing out on the harvesting portion of the growing season this year - and rather than burden my folks with mass producing sauces for me I think it'd be easier to have them dry or smoke my harvest for me.

So, a few general quesitons; if you have experience with making your own powders or chili flakes. Do you simply dry the peppers, then grind them up and thats it? No garlic/onion powder, salt? Anything?

I will be growing a few varieties this year, is it recommended that I keep the varieties for the most part seperate or have you had good experience mixing a heap of peppers in a smoker then blending them all up?

Lastly, keeping in mind I will be asking my parents or girlfriend to be doing this for me while I'm away for a few months, would it not just be easier to have them dry the peppers whole (perhaps in the oven even) and store until I get back home - where I can process them further.

PS I've considered the option of having them freeze the peppers for me while I'm away, but I've read they do not keep any of their firmness once you thaw the peppers - so making a powder would be out of the question after they are frozen I would ASSUME. Unless someone knows otherwise.

Thanks for any insights everyone

I dried my peppers in bulk. some whole, some sliced.....no seeds or membrane removed.

Once crispy crispy dry, into vac lock bags or mason jars.

Grind with a magic bullet into desired powder (fine,med,course)

I don't add onion garlic etc but could see it in a rub etc...otherwise just the pepper itself.

I found 3.5 ounce plastic spice bottles in my grocery store so I use them for my seasonings and gifting.

Dehydrator on 95*-135* depending on type/thickness/size

I have dried from "FROZEN".  For me i remove from freezer, slice to help dry faster and directly into the dehydrator. works fine.

I used my oven once before as well...170* because that's the lowest mine goes. Took about 7+ hrs for scotch bonnets.

The downside...it fills the entire house with fumes. Made the mrs cough/choke for hrs and hrs. No more in the oven now.

Masher said:
I dried my peppers in bulk. some whole, some sliced.....no seeds or membrane removed.

Once crispy crispy dry, into vac lock bags or mason jars.

Grind with a magic bullet into desired powder (fine,med,course)

I don't add onion garlic etc but could see it in a rub etc...otherwise just the pepper itself.

I found 3.5 ounce plastic spice bottles in my grocery store so I use them for my seasonings and gifting.

Dehydrator on 95-135 depending on type/thickness/size

So you take multiple varieties and blend them together? Any regrets with that, wishing perhaps you had seperated the powders?

Also, how do you consume your powder? Meaning is it required to cook it into the food or can you sprinkle it on top as you would salt/pepper?

Thanks again

EDIT: Just saw your edit, the oven bit is the truth. When I make my hot sauce it makes the whole kitchen like pepper spray haha. Good thing my girlfriend is a spice fiend like myself but it does make you cough if you catch a good whiff of it

I don't mix them....many here do and have created specific blends.

I use them like salt and pepper....in the food, on my plate etc.

I make stuffed Jalapenos wrapped in bacon.....sprinkled Goatsweed powder on one side of the bacon and Big carmel mama on the other side befor baking.

Holy mother of pain it was brutal....but oh so delicious  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

It wasn't bad eating at all....it was the after burn next day that was the killer  :fireball:  :fireball:  :fireball:

Masher said:
I don't mix them....many here do and have created specific blends.

I use them like salt and pepper....in the food, on my plate etc.

I make stuffed Jalapenos wrapped in bacon.....sprinkled Goatsweed powder on one side of the bacon and Big carmel mama on the other side befor baking.

Holy mother of pain it was brutal....but oh so delicious  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Ah sorry I misread that. Sounds like drying them and storing in mason jars might be the best route until I can get around and process them further. They're not quite as passionate about this stuff as I am, though they sure do love to reap the benefits of the finished products!

I usually halve and then dry my pods at 105.  Keeps their color a bit better imo, but depends on if you have the time.  I will grind by pepper type, put them in mason jars and then use them to make blends for whatever I'm after that particular night.  By keeping them separate you can keep your individual pepper powders while always being able to blend them into some kickass chili powder or taco spice when needed.

If possible try to smoke some of the peppers prior to drying.  Whole other level of awesome to be had there too.  

If you usually take the fresh chiles and directly make sauce out of them, then freezing is definitely the way to go.  The peppers get mushy, but they will be ground up in the sauce anyway and the freezing process actually helps break down the cell walls so they blend up easier.  Win-Win. 

Frozen chiles can be dried and flaked, but why do that when they are just going to be re-hydrated in the sauce?  :crazy:  take the water out and then put it back in....  :shrug:
But if you want to work with the dried powder, freeze the pods during harvest and dehydrate them when you get back.  Just be aware that when they thaw out, they release a LOT of water right away.  Some folks defrost in a colander, some just put into the dehydrator with a plastic fruit leather tray on the bottom to catch the drips.  Just keep an eye on it so things don't leak all over.

If you normally smoke the peppers before making the sauce, your helpers can still do that for you.  I like to take a large disposable foil roasting pan, punch a BUNCH of holes into it on all sides and bottom, put the fresh chile pods in it and into the smoker.  Once the chiles are smoked and soft but not dried, into ziplock bags (smash 'em down to save space, or even give them a quick pulse in a food processor and then into the freezer bags) and into the freezer.  They can be used for sauces at your leisure when you return.

SL

salsalady said:
If you usually take the fresh chiles and directly make sauce out of them, then freezing is definitely the way to go.  The peppers get mushy, but they will be ground up in the sauce anyway and the freezing process actually helps break down the cell walls so they blend up easier.  Win-Win. 

Frozen chiles can be dried and flaked, but why do that when they are just going to be re-hydrated in the sauce?  :crazy:  take the water out and then put it back in....  :shrug:
But if you want to work with the dried powder, freeze the pods during harvest and dehydrate them when you get back.  Just be aware that when they thaw out, they release a LOT of water right away.  Some folks defrost in a colander, some just put into the dehydrator with a plastic fruit leather tray on the bottom to catch the drips.  Just keep an eye on it so things don't leak all over.

If you normally smoke the peppers before making the sauce, your helpers can still do that for you.  I like to take a large disposable foil roasting pan, punch a BUNCH of holes into it on all sides and bottom, put the fresh chile pods in it and into the smoker.  Once the chiles are smoked and soft but not dried, into ziplock bags (smash 'em down to save space, or even give them a quick pulse in a food processor and then into the freezer bags) and into the freezer.  They can be used for sauces at your leisure when you return.

SL

I think then, based off of this, that I'll hopefully have them either freeze them all or freeze half // smoke&dry half.

Freezing would be easiest for them to just harvest and store in the freezer awaiting my return, but my folks did just get a bluetooth capable smoker :metal: so hopefully theyre brave enough to smoke/dehydrate into some fresh powders for me as well. Thawing out mushy peppers for flakes doesnt sound as appealing haha.

Thanks everyone for the input

Back