• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests (prehensile) Soapy Pepper Spray for aphids/white flies

I've read a lot of posts from people talking about a soap-based peppers spray they use to take care of pests and wanted to know exactly what it was. Recently I read a post by Prehensile about a problem he had with some neglected plants, which was solved by this "Soapy Pepper Spray." I took my 7 pot plant outside to grab some sun a couple weeks ago and it picked up some pests in the process. So far the little buggers have been drinking my organic pesticide like kool-aide so I'm looking for another solution and if it worked for you Prehensile I'm hoping it'll work for me. If anyone else knows what I'm referring too I'd appreciate hearing about it too.

Thanks a lot

I didn't get aphids on my pepper plant but I've dealt with them on tomatoes. If the plant is heavily infested prune the worst areas then put a small amount of castile or any gentle soap (a sliver dissolved in hot water then let it cool) in a spray bottle and soak the leaves and stems, make sure to get the undersides well!

If the soap doesn't get sprayed on the aphid it won't do any good it's not a poison but dissolves the wax like coating on their bodies and they dry and die.

Some of the leaves may curl a bit but after a few applications the aphids are gone.

If it's not doing the job use more soap in the spray.

It worked for me, I hope it does for you as well.

JCD

I've had a huge problem with whitefly here in the Caribbean this summer. It seems like I'm beginning to win the battle, but the plants have taken their fair share of damage.

I have been using a mix of dish detergent, alcohol, and water. Initially I made the mix quite weak, but gradually increased the amount of detergent and alcohol as my frustration grew. In the end the solution was so strong that it was killing the leaves on the plants.

What I have leant is that You have to spray regularly. I believe the spray only kills the adults and not the eggs, so u must keep spraying til they have all been eliminated.

Good luck

I use the soapy Pepper spray for aphids and white flies, apparently the soap kills white fly larvae by suffocating them and capsaicin kills aphids, I've watched em die after a little spray. I use TS extract(cooked TS peppers) and softsoap, 4oz pepper, 2 OZ softsoap, 20 OZ H2o. It has worked and does not harm my plants, though its a pain to spot check and spray every couple/few days if I don't things get outah control. Oh and try not to breath the mist in its deadly!!!!!

I didn't get aphids on my pepper plant but I've dealt with them on tomatoes. If the plant is heavily infested prune the worst areas then put a small amount of castile or any gentle soap (a sliver dissolved in hot water then let it cool) in a spray bottle and soak the leaves and stems, make sure to get the undersides well!

If the soap doesn't get sprayed on the aphid it won't do any good it's not a poison but dissolves the wax like coating on their bodies and they dry and die.

Some of the leaves may curl a bit but after a few applications the aphids are gone.

If it's not doing the job use more soap in the spray.

It worked for me, I hope it does for you as well.

JCD

Yep, I concur I do get some leaf curl but its a small price to pay.

I wish there was a simple solution. I like to rotate my arsenal of organic sprays but in the end the only thing that really works for me is predators like ladybugs.

Yeah its an indoor plant so the ants and lady bugs might not work out :) but I'm going to check out those other suggestions. I have to make a whole indoor setup too though, I'd been sunning it by a window and taking it out occasionally. With the weather now I need to buy a grow light, etc which I've never done so if you have any suggestions on a good light for a small (2ft x 2ft) plant that'd be great too. I'm going to setup another thread for that question but feel free to respond here.

Thanks again guys, this site continues to be extremely helpful.

what do I do after the white flies have infested the plant......I have been spraying to kill them.........but the plant seems to be unchanged.....no pods....no new leaves.......like nothing changes. Am I supposed to cut back all the leaves? any suggestions?

white flies seems to be reduced but I will keep spraying with DAWN antibacterial dish washing soap and water.

what do I do after the white flies have infested the plant......I have been spraying to kill them.........but the plant seems to be unchanged.....no pods....no new leaves.......like nothing changes. Am I supposed to cut back all the leaves? any suggestions?

white flies seems to be reduced but I will keep spraying with DAWN antibacterial dish washing soap and water.

I think somebody above mentioned too much soap can dry out your plant, try using an organic pesticide. Also, with the lack of pepper production, how are your temperatures? I know you want at least 80-90 degrees for the plant to thrive (and produce peppers). After that check your nutrients, there's something I used that exploded my pepper growth...it's called fish immulsion (sp?). Basically it's ground up fish bits, plants love it and it will really help your plant produce peppers.

I think somebody above mentioned too much soap can dry out your plant, try using an organic pesticide. Also, with the lack of pepper production, how are your temperatures? I know you want at least 80-90 degrees for the plant to thrive (and produce peppers). After that check your nutrients, there's something I used that exploded my pepper growth...it's called fish immulsion (sp?). Basically it's ground up fish bits, plants love it and it will really help your plant produce peppers.

Well, I'm in South Florida and temps are now 60 -70s now......sometimes in the 80s.........but in the last month......temps were in the 80s and this plant has not moved or produced.
I stopped using the universal Miracle Grow fertilizer as I've been reading here on THP.......using only epson salts now and looking for a fert replacement..........I did see a MG product for tomatoes that has 6% calcium and was curious if that would be better.

Well, I'm in South Florida and temps are now 60 -70s now......sometimes in the 80s.........but in the last month......temps were in the 80s and this plant has not moved or produced.
I stopped using the universal Miracle Grow fertilizer as I've been reading here on THP.......using only epson salts now and looking for a fert replacement..........I did see a MG product for tomatoes that has 6% calcium and was curious if that would be better.

I'd ask the forums about all of that, all I can comment on is the fish immulsion I used for nutrition, and like I said it worked like a charm. Also, just a couple times dipping below 80 can hold your pepper back a great deal. I had a similar problem and I ended up bringing my 7 pot pepper plant inside and putting it by the window. It kept it warm and if your window has the right angle you can get plenty of sun. Full disclosure, that was the first pepper (outside of a Jalapeno or Habanero) I've ever grown so, again, I'd ask the forum for some concrete advice. Forgot to ask, what are you growing?

I'd ask the forums about all of that, all I can comment on is the fish immulsion I used for nutrition, and like I said it worked like a charm. Also, just a couple times dipping below 80 can hold your pepper back a great deal. I had a similar problem and I ended up bringing my 7 pot pepper plant inside and putting it by the window. It kept it warm and if your window has the right angle you can get plenty of sun. Full disclosure, that was the first pepper (outside of a Jalapeno or Habanero) I've ever grown so, again, I'd ask the forum for some concrete advice. Forgot to ask, what are you growing?

I have 3 types.....I have 1 bird pepper and 2 cherry peppers from trinidad that are all producing. But 3 (HABS I was told) not producing. To me they looks like Scotch Bonnets. My production over the years have always been extremely low compared to some of the pics I see on this site... You never see more than 3 or 4 pods at one time. I am changing lots this year.......buying promix, fish emulsion, epson salt and will spray for white flies more often. To be honest, I don't take the care like I see here on THP. These folks are serious and passionate....New member and learning lots....

I have 3 types.....I have 1 bird pepper and 2 cherry peppers from trinidad that are all producing. But 3 (HABS I was told) not producing. To me they looks like Scotch Bonnets. My production over the years have always been extremely low compared to some of the pics I see on this site... You never see more than 3 or 4 pods at one time. I am changing lots this year.......buying promix, fish emulsion, epson salt and will spray for white flies more often. To be honest, I don't take the care like I see here on THP. These folks are serious and passionate....New member and learning lots....

Yeah I just had my plant in a pot in front of a window mostly, no lighting setup, irrigation, or anything like that, I only got about 15 peppers which I've been told is a low yield. Also, I didn't have a whitefly problem until I brought my plant outside one time to get some sun. Also, increasing the pot size can help your plant out too, it lets the roots stretch out (small constricting pots can stress your plant).

Back