event Prepping for my 1st fest! What do I need?

So, March 29th will be my coming out party at the NYC Hot Sauce Expo.
I have set up booths with old jobs, but this will be my first time with the hot sauce, and I am starting to make my check list.

So far, this is what I have lined up.

1) Sauces (obviously). I will overstock myself and be optimistic that I will hopefully leave with none of it.
2) six foot table with table cloth and clamps to hold table cloth down. and a little stool to rest my tootsies now and then.
3) price signage, promotional post cards and business cards.
4) biodegradable tasters to sample the sauces.
5) banner for the booth. creating a horizontal and vertical version...what sizing is ideal? 3x8? 
6) my iphone / ipad with square reader to take credit card payments.  maybe an extension cord to keep yym electronics charged?
7) clip board for a mailing list sign up sheet.
8) have a t-shirt for sale.
9) cash to make change with if need be.

what other items should I have at my booth to make the two days be as smooth as possible?
am i missing anything obvious? 
any tips/tricks of the trades from the veterans out there?

i welcome any and all input!

see ya in NYC.

Think about your personal needs, in addition to business and customer needs. For example, do you have someone coming with you who can push sales while you take a break? Also, you are going to need to initiate conversations as much as possible - being new to shows, your product will not be familiar to people, so you will need to be as engaging as possible and not wait for those sampling to initiate conversation. That means you'll do a lot of talking, which means you'll need water at the booth and plenty of it. Similarly, how long will you be there? You may need to bring food for yourself either because it will be easier/faster to just grab a fast sack lunch when you're hungry or because it will be too much of a hassle to get to food other than hot sauces. Many venues get very hot from the number of people milling around, while some places blast everyone with freezing air - you'll want to bring multiple clothing items to be prepared for either situation - I'll assume you are planning on wearing your own t-shirt, but if it's cold you won't want to cover it up, so a long-sleeved shirt to put on underneath your logo t-shirt is a good idea if the place is cold.

You're bringing sauces and sampling spoons, but how hot are your sauces? Keep in mind some people have NO heat tolerance, but will try the sauces anyway. Do you have something (chiips, pretzels, etc.) that you can offer if someone starts going into a panic attack after trying your sauce? On the extension cord(s), ask the host what the setup will be. Many have electric available, but many do not. You may also need a trash can/bag/box, but the host may have trash receptacles set up every few booths or so. If they do, you will still likely want at least a small trash container at your booth. Otherwise you may want a larger one and/or bring extra bags.

Thanks.

I will have a partner at the booth, and possibly a friend to help out for an hour or so while I check out the other vendors myself.
I will probably bring a snack bag and multiple beverages as well.

I hear ya in regards to sample foods for people who taste the sauce. I'd like to think that people who pay money to come to a hot sauce festival will kind of have an idea of what they are in for...but i know better than to assume. 

Access to electricity will be key as my phone/ipad will be my key to credit card sales and such.....

i'll have clear plastic bags for people to carry their sauces in.....and ill have a garbage bag or several for remnant trash....

from a business stand point, i think i should be covered though.

Question about the transportation of my sauces.....the cardboard cases that most sauces are shipped in are somewhat safe, but take up space....I have a small toyota prius that is gonna be packed when i make my way to nYC at the end of next month....

was thinking of getting a few of the thick rubbermaid containers and packing the sauces in a few of those.....i have a hand truck, and can make multiple trips....im not worried about dropping em....i eat my spinach....

am i missing anything in this aspect?

Nope, don't supply.  :P
Bring your energy. if this year's is anything like last year's Expo, you will need it. This show has the distinct possibility of becoming the largest overall. Sh*t, with the 1st Annual last year, they had record-breaking numbers. To pull this off, IN NEW YORK CITY, speaks volumes! I hope you do well, as do we all. I'm just glad a major show is now located about 30 minutes from my house!

DEFCON Creator said:
Nope, don't supply.  :P
Bring your energy. if this year's is anything like last year's Expo, you will need it. This show has the distinct possibility of becoming the largest overall. Sh*t, with the 1st Annual last year, they had record-breaking numbers. To pull this off, IN NEW YORK CITY, speaks volumes! I hope you do well, as do we all. I'm just glad a major show is now located about 30 minutes from my house!

any advice on how many cases of each sauce i should bring to be safe? i will be selling 4 different ones......obviously the ideal putcome would to sell out of everything an hour or so before the end of the fest on sunday, but i also don't want to bring home a ton of stuff as well...

i dont have the slightest clue of how much will be enough and / or not too much....

any input would be most appreocated.

Understood. However, the right amount to bring is the ever-present illusive algorithm. No, I'm not being a pain in the ass, I'm talking the truth. The ultimate would be to sell out the last couple of bottles on the last day of the show. Yeah, that would be nice...Hence, it never happens. Bring what you think you'll sell, and add more. It's always better to bring more than not enough, for obvious reasons. Been doing major shows now for about 9 years, and we've pretty much never gotten it perfectly right. Live and learn (again, no disrespect, it is what it is). You will find out from this show what will sell, you will also find out what people don't want to buy. What doesn't sell at this show may sell awesome at a different show. There in-lies the ultimate puzzle.

There is more to be gained at larger shows than just selling product, MUCH more. You gotta make sure you make your rounds around the show, and show other manufacturers you exist. You stated this is your first bigger show, well, you have to let us know you exist. This industry is quite unlike a vast majority of them out there. WE, the hot sauce industry, want this market to grow. We support each other, as a whole. There are some tight bonds built over the years, but all are willing to bring more on board. There have been a number of companies that I have witnessed come and go, that thought they were the sh*t, and didn't need anyone else. Well, I speak of them in the past tense. You should become one with the Hot Sauce Continuum, as we are the best group of friends you're ever gonna meet. We all work hard and play hard, just like ti should be. The amount of unequaled experience you will meet is just balls-out awesome, and they are willing to share helpful hints.

I hope this helps in your quest for answers. Remember, those in the industry are willing to help and add guidance. Best way to get advice is bring the beer!

everyone i have dealt with in this business has been more than helpful. truly a great community which I am happy to have my foot in the door with!

*group hug* !!!!!

did someone mention beer?

depending on what the local health district regulations are, you may need a hand washing station or refrigeration for your sample bottles if the labels say "refrigerate after opening".   

I would suggest having a plastic table cover of some kind.  If you have a printed cloth table cover you can put a roll of clear plastic on top.  Or use a plastic table cover.  You can buy wide plastic table cloth material at fabric stores and Wal-marts by the foot.  Any time there's sauce samples, there will be spill and you don't want your cloth table cover to look like crap by the end of the first day.  Which leads to the next suggestion- even if you aren't required to have a full handwashing station in your booth, have some way of wiping off the table and keeping it clean.  Either a small container with bleach water or some pop-up handi-wipes. 

Roll of paper towels or a stack of napkins- customers will spill and get sauce on their hands.  If using the Handi-Wipes, you can just give them one of those.

Many venues have the tables with a skirt there for the vendors, check with the event to see what's provided.

How will the banner be hung?  do they have the poles with cloths at the back of the booth?  If you're in a room and the back of the booth is the wall, chances are the facility won't let you pound a bunch of nails in the wall or use tape....

Do a dry run at home. Fully set up everything. 

Have a way to keep the money OFF THE TABLE!  Wear a servers apron with pockets, or have a cash box under the table.  Make it easy and fast to make change.  I use the cash drawer from an old cash register. 

Small calculator, probably have that function on the tablet or whatever you're using for Square. 

Have some open space on your table for people to put down their packages, purses etc.  I usually have about a dozen or so bottles of each sauce on the table and just keep replacing them as they sell or just reach back and grab a bottle from the box to hand to the customer. 

You said you had some clear bags for your bottles.  If you see someone walking by with their hands full of a bunch of stuff, call them over and hand them a bag.  When at the FM, I always had a stash of paper and plastic grocery bags to give to people with their hands full. 

Small box of assorted pens, markers, a few pieces of paper, tape, scissors, a knife....for making "Sale" signs, last minute price lists.... "Do Not Feed The Bears"  ;)  You never know what you may need.  Maybe the event will have some funky regulation that you have to have your business number posted or who knows what.  :rolleyes:  Change your price list mid-stream....whatever~~~

If the event/venue/state has some stoopid regulation that alcohol can't be sold before noon on Sundays and you want a bit of Bailey's in your coffee...~~~  ;)  Mini Bottles travel well... :lol:

And whatever you do, make sure you do NOT have Fun!!!!!

:rofl:

Good Luck!!!!! Knock 'em Dead!
edit- ZestFest used to have vendor pictures somewhere on their website.  Just looking at those will give you and idea of what others do, maybe you'll see something that can help.

pssst------ if you haven't gotten to wallyworld yet....I used to get a roll of 1000 plastic produce bags for ~$20. The kind on a roll in the produce section...  ;)

Oh, and thank you :)  just trying to help~

salsalady said:
pssst------ if you haven't gotten to wallyworld yet....I used to get a roll of 1000 plastic produce bags for ~$20. The kind on a roll in the produce section...  ;)

Oh, and thank you :)  just trying to help~

wally-world1.jpg

sorry Ann, Wally World is closed!

Ohhhh NOOOOOOOOOZ!!!!!!!!!

:runsscreamingfromtheroom:  

:rofl:  

Have a nice VACATION  GemCrow!!!   :rofl: 

Back