Preserving lemons - HELP!?

Gday guys i have just harvested about half of one tree in back yard - have 2 - One is sweet LEMONADE (below) and one is sour.
The lemonade is the best lemon I have ever tasted and wish to preserve it for when I make sauces and paste and for cooking, juice etc.
Here are the lemons (some of)
010-4.jpg

015-3.jpg

012-3.jpg

I have bought some 1 ltr preserving jars and will do hot bath method.

I have never really preserved this way... I have made a few sauces which have keeped ok. But these will be preserved untill chilli harvest.

I have found a simple recipe online, but wonder what is the end result with all the salt ? Will I still have acidic sweeet still or salty sour ?
Is there mayby a better way ?

RECIPE LINK

Thanx guys !

CM

p.s - If you want free seeds to the best LEMONADE LEMON tree ...PM me. I want to trade for any herb, fruit, or veg.

We squeeze the lemon add salt and say 3 quarters of the sqeezezed outers (I throw the other quarter away as you end up with too much outer and not enough juce) boil and jar making sure to cover properly every week turn jar upside down and let sit for the first month.
thats for preerved lemon for say italian and middleestern dishes.
you can't really go wrong as long as you make sure everything is clean and bottled hot.
we sometimes add spices or chilli or whatever you could make each jar a different flavour.
and I dunno about those seeds better to take a cutting from citrus the graft.
cheers

Mick
ps the seeds you sent me are in the ground I'll keep you posted.

Thanx Mick,
Simple enough, obviously you have infused with chilli ? Whats that like ?

Your right it would be much much easier so;
- Cuttings for aussies .... will put in rock wool, wrap in paper, put in postal tube. Cant send to WA or TAS [customs].

Would love to trade other really good lemon trees, lime, Kaffir lime.

....ouch my hands are still burning from hand squeezing so many god dam lemons , because i have misplaced my jucier in move.
Here are some pics..

the start of the mess..
011-5.jpg

Jars
016-2.jpg

015-4.jpg

Got 5 done, when hands stop burning I will attempt the rest.
017-2.jpg

LEFT TO RIGHT:
1# 3 Bhut & salt ( for the HIPPY )
2# 1 Bhut & salt
3# 3 Bhut, 4 table spoon chilliman spice & salt ( for NOVA )
4# salt
4# salt

Do you want one Mick ?

I fear I have put too much salt (4 TBLsp per jar) - But you rinse it off under water, as per instructions and use Rhine....

the salt will be fine. they look great. cool jars.
we have a heap on hand at all times.
try cloves, pimento berry seeds cinnamon etc it all works.

Mick

I think I will try for a sweet one next, I will do another 4 or 5 today or tomorrow...

THANX a heap Mick... will give it a go.

They taste as good as they look, very sweet lemon.
Its lucky my neighbour was caught picking them !
She helps her self to my garden (as I dont mind - "just dont touch the chillis")

She explained that it was the best tree in neighbourhood and the old owner used to make the best lemonade around...

SO , I thought i would try one, and they were good straight up....
So I had to save some ! A box went next door for lemonade, so I will expect that back soon or later... HMMMMMMM fresh lemonade......

can send some seeds (i know hard to grow from seed.....??

chilliman said:
They taste as good as they look, very sweet lemon.
Its lucky my neighbour was caught picking them !
She helps her self to my garden (as I dont mind - "just dont touch the chillis")

She explained that it was the best tree in neighbourhood and the old owner used to make the best lemonade around...

SO , I thought i would try one, and they were good straight up....
So I had to save some ! A box went next door for lemonade, so I will expect that back soon or later... HMMMMMMM fresh lemonade......

can send some seeds (i know hard to grow from seed.....??
That'd be pretty much useless in New Jersey. :lol:

Novacastrian said:
I so cant wait to try some of that preserve mate, looks like it should be mighty tasty :drooling:

I am making sauce this week so I will wait and send both to ya!:hell:

I have never done the preserve before lets hope it good....
Cant see why not, great lemons, salt , bhut, etc...

And you are only meant to use the rhine ??? That is what we want apparently ??!!

It Wont be ready for 1MTH also, so you will have to turn upside down once a week (3).... until it ready.

:flamethrower: Chilliman spice lemon preserve will be :hot:

I like turning things up-side down, shouldn't be a chore :P

Edit: I used some of your spice mix in some pickled red jals (or spitfires as you call them , nutjob) and they already taste awesome. Woooohooo for chilllis!!!

Novacastrian said:
I like turning things up-side down, shouldn't be a chore :P

Edit: I used some of your spice mix in some pickled red jals (or spitfires as you call them , nutjob) and they already taste awesome. Woooohooo for chilllis!!!

You will like the new spice much more heat... will send along also....:onfire:

Been snooping around the garden and found a few late fruiting plants ! (in the rain)
Some cherry tom`s
009-8.jpg

My Now favourite in the garden...

MINI MANDARINE !! They are tiny !! NO seeds, very sweet... (that is a normal mandirine on right)
Will go into next batch....
008-5.jpg

010-6.jpg

And some Guava
012-5.jpg

They really are some great looking fruit, plenty of flesh with a little skin and looks so juicy. Bravo.

Back