• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Preserving Rocotos/Manzanos?

I usually freeze as many as I can until my freezer is full. When I de seed rocoto for saving seeds, I keep the de seeded ones in one bag, to easily make sauces without a ton of little black bits of seed.

I like to freeze the giant varieties whole, so that I can make rocoto rellenos over the Winter.

Pubescens are great for jams/jellies as well, so I always make sure to whip up some batches of those for the off season.

I also do a bulk ferment at the end of the season, right before the last frost, of all of the Pubescens pods on my plants.

Here is a link with a few things I've done lately with a fermented rocoto mash:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66332-thegreenchilemonster-ferments-some-sauce/?p=1499787#entry1499787

Chewi said:

I haven't smoked anything but Chinense! What kind of wood do you use with pubes? Sounds killer!

I've used Pecan, or a blend of Cherry and Alder to smoke pubes (I prefer the cherry/alder, but many people like the pecan smoke with all kinds of peppers)
 I am curious what others use to smoke their various peppers as well.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

I've used Pecan, or a blend of Cherry and Alder to smoke pubes (I prefer the cherry/alder, but many people like the pecan smoke with all kinds of peppers)
 I am curious what others use to smoke their various peppers as well.

same, Pecan and Cherry. Applewood is a bit strong I find. Hadn't tried Alder!

Chewi said:

I haven't smoked anything but Chinense! What kind of wood do you use with pubes? Sounds killer!
I've only had the opportunity to smoke them (Manzanos) once, but I used hickory. "Smokemaster" lives out in Cali and can buy Manzanos year round. He sent me a bag of hickory smoked Manzano powder a couple years ago, and it was the best damn powder I've had in my entire life.

Most others (Chinenses), I'll use cherry, pecan, or hickory though. I've never seen alder around here, but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for it. Plum too ;)

I really wanna get my hands on some pimiento wood (JERK! JERK! JERK! lol)! :pray:
I found a place online that sold it a few years ago, but the freakin' prices were through the roof

Anybody ever tried pear wood?

I like to ferment manzano peppers.  I have some in the fridge that are about two years old and the smell is awesome!  They remind me of canned peaches.

I'm able to buy them from the Mexican stand at the flea market practically year round - they come from Mexico.

Bob_B said:
I like to ferment manzano peppers.  I have some in the fridge that are about two years old and the smell is awesome!  They remind me of canned peaches.
I'm glad you had success fermenting them. I lost 2lbs of Manzanos a couple of months ago that way. I was really looking forward to it, but the mash ended up tasting 'metallic.' Never figured out why, and had to dump it :mope:

MikeUSMC said:
I'm glad you had success fermenting them. I lost 2lbs of Manzanos a couple of months ago that way. I was really looking forward to it, but the mash ended up tasting 'metallic.' Never figured out why, and had to dump it :mope:

Mike - Judging from your ferment thread, it looks like you know a lot more about fermenting than I do.  But, it's a given that everyone has a bad batch sometimes.  I guess we learn from our mistakes.......

I am hoping next year I can actually grow enough Pubescens here in the Panama City heat to actually be able to ferment some I grew myself.

Pubescens have been my nemesis.  But, I've got some TGCM gave me that I'm currently germinating that may change that.

Bob_B said:
Mike - Judging from your ferment thread, it looks like you know a lot more about fermenting than I do.  But, it's a given that everyone has a bad batch sometimes.  I guess we learn from our mistakes.......
Haha, thanks Bob. Listen, just because I've done it a lot, doesn't mean I know what the hell I'm talking about ;) I'm always learning

Bob_B said:
Pubescens have been my nemesis.  But, I've got some TGCM gave me that I'm currently germinating that may change that.
Ditto ;)
TGCM hooked me up with a TON of C. Pubescens seeds too. "Bullet Proof" varieties, I'm told :pray:
(TGCM, if you see this post, thanks again, brother! Super generous!)

Back