• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Pro mix soil = sponge

Hey Quad what makes you think your local place is repackaging the Pro-Mix and selling it as their own? You sure that stuff is Pro-Mix?

patrick said:
Hey Quad what makes you think your local place is repackaging the Pro-Mix and selling it as their own? You sure that stuff is Pro-Mix?

I asked.

Silver_Surfer said:
Repackaging Pro-Mix and selling it as their own wouldn't be legal either.

Well, they sell the bales too, but not everyone wants or needs a whole bale. So, they repackage some in smaller bags like what I got.

I can't see how it'd be illegal when they plainly state that it's just smaller amounts of Pro-Mix BX in a generic package.

Heck, I still have some of that 30-quart bag that hasn't been used yet from last year. I only have 4-6 plants.

QuadShotz said:
I can't see how it'd be illegal when they plainly state that it's just smaller amounts of Pro-Mix BX in a generic package.

Oh, sorry, I couldn't see the part of the label that said Pro Mix, just Northwest Seed & Pet.

Well, I meant the salesperson stated it was...I wrote that wrong.
But yea, it's just a small local store re-bagging it into smaller amounts.

I'd have no use for a full bail...I don't know why it's a big deal really.

I don't see where it's labeled as Pro-Mix, am I blind?

Salespeople will tell you what they think you want to hear. There's nothing wrong with them breaking bales down and selling smaller quantities. I do think they have to ID the stuff correctly though.

It doesn't matter.

patrick said:
I don't see where it's labeled as Pro-Mix, am I blind?

Salespeople will tell you what they think you want to hear. There's nothing wrong with them breaking bales down and selling smaller quantities. I do think they have to ID the stuff correctly though.

It doesn't matter.

I agree 100%
and i dont see where its labeled as pro-mix either.
no big deal breaking down bales and reselling smaller quantity but the correct name should be used.
I personally would rather purchase from a name i recognize rather then from a "generic" product.
using the correct name would probably sell better anyhow.

I've been using ProMix BX this year too. I mixed some organic fertilizer to go with it. It's strange, though. Last year I mixed 1/3 sand, 1/3 potting soil, and 1/3 chesapeake blue (compost with crab shells) and my plant growth seemed to happen a lot faster. This year the growth seems to be far less, and I am wondering if the ProMix BX provides adequate calcium for the entire season. Thoughts? Those with excellent results with this stuff, what is your regimen? I'm sorry if this seems like a hijack.

Pro-mix is a great loose growing medium but it has very little nutrients so you need to add compost/fertilizer or feed nutrients when watering. I usually add compost and/or manure and occasionally use water soluble 20-20-20 with micronutrients

Silver_Surfer said:

Not to be confused with Dolemite.

dolemite.jpg

Steve973 said:
And for calcium?
I've never had calcium deficiency personally but I do add eggshells and some wood ash to my compost and I use fertilizers with micro-nutrients(calcium included). I do find that chiles seem to need lots of magnesium which is where epsom salts or dolomitic lime come in handy, and the magnesium may also help in the uptake of calcium.

How do you usually apply the dolomite? Mixed in at the beginning of the season, or applied on the top of the soil and watered in? Also, how much and/or how often?

Steve973 said:
How do you usually apply the dolomite? Mixed in at the beginning of the season, or applied on the top of the soil and watered in? Also, how much and/or how often?

I mix it in when I'm making up the mix for my pots. It all gets piled on the concrete in the driveway and mixed with a hoe and/or shovel. I add about 2 cups to around 5 cubic feet of mix, but how much you need depends on the medium. Apply and check your PH.
If you determine you need more later in the season it can be added to the top of the container and watered in or mixed with water and applied.

Back