• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Problems Germinating PepperLover Seeds

Nicole said:
I am starting my seeds today from her , wish me luck! Looks like there is more success than failure with her seeds so I am feeling hopeful!!!!

What strains are you starting?  Maybe we should keep a record of what pops and what doesn't.

every situation is different for sure. I personally have never had any issues germinating hers or anyone else's seeds for that matter.

my method is:

- seeds soaked in chamomile for a day more or less

- whatever seed starting mix I have on hand (usually peat and vermiculite based) into poly pots or cups with holes punched in.

- seeds go in, covered with some more mix. watered real good.

- cups go into container cups for bottom watering later, then they all go into a plastic bag.

- bag goes on top of my heating mat and I tuck the top of the bag under that. the bag keeps everything nice and moist and once in awhile I spritz the top of the soil lightly.

seeds sprout after about a week to two weeks give or take some.

I have worked with other methods as well, such as the paper towel method, however my current method has always given me the best germ rates. sometimes I have to wait up to a month depending on variety, so it does pay to be patient.

I should also mention my house isn't centrally heated so room temp fluctuates quite a bit.

Here's my 2 cents on PL. I've ordered from her for the last 3 years. After last year I quit though. The seeds all seem to sprout ok, except for regular Red Ghost, they didn't do much. This year I used last years 7 Pot Yellow Brain Strain seeds, and got 100 % germination. My biggest complaint is getting wrong seeds mixed in. I planted 10 Giant Jalapeno plants last year, just to have about half of them turn out to be something else. I've had dozens of plants turn out to be incorrect from what they were supposed to be. I brought it up with her, and she was willing to replace them, but after growing a plant for months, planting in the garden, and a month later, having it turn out to be something completely different, why bother? I grow Jalapenos for all sorts of sauces, salsas, grilling, etc, and when half of them turn out to be some kind of heatless Poblano or something like that, it's disappointing. I have integrity in the things I make, and I can't tell someone that their powder is 100% Douglah. Hopefully you folks have better luck, like I said, it was never the germination that was a problem, it was the mixup of seeds within them.

I had no luck with Aji Chuncho seeds I bought off her, 0% germination, and I've talked to someone else that ordered the exact same seeds from her with the same result. I did contact her and the reply was that they would test their seed stock. Nothing more since then. I have had good results with all other seeds I've ordered from PL though, so overall quite happy.

I'm still waiting for her promised seeds replacement to arrive. They're not here yet. I will update you guys if and when it happens

Back