labels Problems with bubble in hand applied labels

I'm applying my labels by hand - so far, 3/4 of them end up with bubbles, which I try and push out with my thumb nail, with varying degrees of success.

Any tips or techniques?

They're 4 x 3 labels on a 12 oz bottle

I lay the bottle on it's side and holding the label flat bring it down so the center sticks then I use my hand to smooth/stick them on from there out to the ends. Takes longer to type then it does to do it once you get it down.

If you are printing with inkjet then smearing may be an issue. Laserjet printers are the way to go I have found.

+1 for what ^ said.

It can also help to lay the bottle on a folded dishtowel to prevent it from rolling while you are trying to position the label.

Also, if using inkjet labels, there are clear sealer sprays you can use to help keep the labels from smearing. Laser prints are better, though.

More then likely, if it's not the way you apply them, it's the glue adhesive you are using, One customer sent us labels before where when the label was applied to a hot bottle, bubbles formed on the label, due to the glue make up.

More then likely, if it's not the way you apply them, it's the glue adhesive you are using, One customer sent us labels before where when the label was applied to a hot bottle, bubbles formed on the label, due to the glue make up.

Good point. I never thought he may be applying them while hot. I label after they have cooled(upside down)

Wipe the top if necessary. Screw on the cap and immediately invert the bottle. Leave the bottle inverted for at least 5 minutes. This allows the hot product to come in contact with the cap and to kill all the nasties.
copied from Hot sauce making for an Uber newbie...

If I am making several different kinds I use a sharpie and write the name on the one bottle from the group so I can remember what they are after they have cooled when I label them. Usually I try to make big batches to avoid having to do more then one in a day, but it happens.

Thanks for all the tips - I'm labeling when cold, so heat is not the issue

The tip to lay the bottle on its side and then work from the middle out helps a lot

Thanks again

Here a little tip from years of having to overlay maps in the military. If you do get a bubble use a streight pin or sewing needle to put a hole in the middle of the bubble then work from the edges and push the air out. The hole will be so small as to not be noticeable. Never had it fail.

+1 apply while warm or use an added adhesive that requires curing time. I really like the glue adhesive from glue guns. I heat up 20-25 sticks in an old sauce pan on low then smear it on while rolling bottle over label, if thats too time consuming or you prefer self adhesive labels then simply spray your bottle with a mild dish soap solution and roll the label on. it will allow you to squeeze out the air bubbles and will cure in 30 minutes

+1 apply while warm or use an added adhesive that requires curing time. I really like the glue adhesive from glue guns. I heat up 20-25 sticks in an old sauce pan on low then smear it on while rolling bottle over label, if thats too time consuming or you prefer self adhesive labels then simply spray your bottle with a mild dish soap solution and roll the label on. it will allow you to squeeze out the air bubbles and will cure in 30 minutes

If I can share some advice from my industrial background;
When machine bottling, the point of contact for the label is minimal. I suggest using a lint roller or sandpaper former that is kind of semicircular, and roll them on.
I have no experience on manually applying labels, so feel free to disregard anything I say ;)

http://www.reddevil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_223_225&products_id=1157&zenid=lfels10tigqht5ak396bpoi0k5

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=1108

Anyone tried these?

Interestingly enough I have never had trouble with bubbles. I peel the label off line it up on one side then "roll" the label onto the bottle
while rubbing top to bottom rapidly and pushing it around the bottle till it is all the way on the bottle, I then give it a final "push & check" and throw em into the box.

I'm applying my labels by hand - so far, 3/4 of them end up with bubbles, which I try and push out with my thumb nail, with varying degrees of success.

Any tips or techniques?

They're 4 x 3 labels on a 12 oz bottle

The Easy Labeler bottle label applicator will apply your labels without bubbles for $399.
There's a video at http://www.easylabeler.com

For what its worth! probably not much but it works very well and fast for me.

I use the microwave to heat my bottles empty of coarse. depending upon the label.

Many people apply the label to the bottle, I apply the bottle to the label!

I use a thin rubber matte 18" X 24" kinda like a drawer or self protector but heavier. I lay it out on a hard flat suffice.
With a black MM I drew a horizontal and vertical lines offset from the middle; all the way across, offset cross-hair I guess. Lay the long edge of the labels against the vertical line over lapping the horizontal line almost in the middle.

hold the bottle just above the label eyeballing the edge of the bottle with the horizontal line set it down gently and start rolling it like you would dough back and forth but only an 1/2' at a time.

I can not say weather you will bubbles or not, what I can say is I never have!

Cheers, SC :crazy:

+1 for what ^ said.

It can also help to lay the bottle on a folded dishtowel to prevent it from rolling while you are trying to position the label.

Also, if using inkjet labels, there are clear sealer sprays you can use to help keep the labels from smearing. Laser prints are better, though.

....could you point me in the direction of the clear sealer sprays? ...a brand, place to purchase, etc.... Thanks...

I have 3M clear coat I use for my photography when mounting pictures open/uncovered on foam board. I imagine it would help but you would want to cover the neck and lid while spraying. If you are near a FedEx Office location the have laser printers. and if you supply your own label stock it is 50 cents plus tax around here for each print. They require what you are printing to be a PDF or they can charge you to convert it if you want(NO). If you need as a PDF google "dopdf-7" and download it. It is free and goes in your system as a Printer. Set up like you would for your printer, hit print, select the dopdf printer, and follow dopdf through where to save it, then bam it will give you the pdf for the people to print on your label stock.

Back