• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Production from old seeds?

I started a batch of Jalapeno M from a packet that sat in the garage since 2007. Temps range from 90F in summer to 35F in winter. To my surprise, I got around 90% germ in 3 days in a coffee filter/baggie started Jan 11th.

They became my test plants since I don't know jack about growing inside. They have been subjected to a variety of tests (germ, soils, pots, lights, pests, ferts) as I've built up some knowledge. They have grown slowly at times, and now a bit leggy due to poor lighting, but still okay. Some tests still going (root bound test lol)

Question: will the old age of the seed limit their productivity? Trying to decide how much additional time, space and energy to give these pioneers.... :cool:

Jal%20M%2032711%20001.jpg

If the seeds germinate, they should grow fine. They aren't really that old anyways, I've started 10+ year old seeds with fairly good success

I agree. Funny you posted this. I was out working in the yard last weekend. My wife happened to find a flattened and soggy wet pepper from last year on the ground. It was loaded with seeds so I figured what the hell. I put seeds in a cup just to see and to my surprise, they are germinating. I think the pepper gods new how to make these things capable of keeping the circle of life going. Tough little boogers.

last year i planted some seranno seed that where in the 10+ year age, only one plant germinated and it's main stem is slim, i did get 1 small pepper off it last year. this year, it is just as skinny but with more skinny stems. i trimmed it back a few months back hoping to encourage it to grow thicker but it is just a skinny kid.

Thanks, gentlemen! I wanted to eliminate the "age factor" as I grow along. Nice to know I can keep pepper seeds over a longer period than I thought. Will do some research on the forums for the best ways to do that for seeds purchased this year.... :cool:

Back