• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Project Helios

Hi
This is something I have set up in the UK, but I guess many folks in the US may be interested.
We, a partnership between a couple of UK seed companies, a chilli sauce company and a hydroponic company, are growing, in hydro to create as much equality, 9 contenders for 'hottest' chilli. AS we are much further north than most of you, we have selected varieties which do OK in the UK.
The list is Dorset Naga, Naga Viper, Trinidad Scorpion, Habanero 7-Pot, Bhut Jolokia, Bengal Naga, Orange Habanero (not a contender, but a good bench mark), Habanero Fatali and finally the Moruga.
They are all being grown next to each other in hydro kits, in a large, 3,000 square foot polytunnel, which gets incredibly hot, even here in the UK.
Pods wil be sent to the MRI lab at warwick Univeristy, where they have been doing HPLC tests for quite a few years and are the UK leading lab for this. Also the head of the lab is a chillihead!
We have a page of facebook, under 'Project Helios'. There are pictures etc, pease join if you use facebook.
All the data will be made public, weight of samples, number of pods etc.
The idea behind this is to establish what grows to what heat level here in the UK, bound to interest some of you folks.
Regards
Matt Simpson/Simpsons Seeds
The others involved are Alex Duck from the Upron Cheyney Chilli Co, Joy Michaud From Sea Spring Seeds, and Greenhouse Sensation.
The pods which do not go for testing, well some will be going into the chilli tasting experience at the Upton Cheyney Chilli Co's festival in September, the remainder will be going into a special sauce, to raise money for our local Air Ambulance.

Sounds very interesting
I don't want to sound like an ass but I just have to point out that 7-Pod and Fatalii are definitely not habaneros and the Morugas you speak of are likely Trinidad scorpion moruga blend. Morugas (red and yellow) are totally different landrace Trinidad chiles

Back