• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ProMix, Kelp, Bonemeal

ok..finally bought some promix per lots of advice. My thought is to make up a mixture of promix, kelp, and bonemeal and perlite. I planned on watering down the promix before transplanting with fish emulsion.

Question is, does this sound like a good mixture and if so, what amounts of each should I use. Kelp and bonemeal only have measurements for large areas. Or, does this sound like overkill and/or bad mixing combination?

Thanks all.

hi Mike,

i would prefer to just use the promix first. as its already a mix for soil, perlite, etc.
don't mix more ferts in and you might just go over board in certain nutriens. which is not good.

my advise to use the promix as it is. later you can add other ferts and nutes to feed your plant.

well this is just my opinion.

The Pro Mix already has perlite, so I wouldnt worry about that, honestly. As far as nutes, you will need to feed, and feed often with the Pro Mix. Sure, its great soil, and its pH balanced perfectly. BUT, it lacks in the nute dept.

i think adding perlite is ok as it does not add any nute or fert..and also remember it does not hold any ferts like soil. too much of it its not good.. just adds porosity to your soil..

My Pro-Mix BX directions say add ferts within 7 days. It is such a wonderfully absorbing medium, my approach is to bottom water the liquid ferts (botanicare brew in my case) at the first watering needed after pot-up. You could make a tea of the ingredients you mentioned and do the same, I guess.

Are you planning to keep these plants in containers this summer or are you just potting up for a few weeks? Might make a difference what you add going in.

My Pro-Mix BX directions say add ferts within 7 days. It is such a wonderfully absorbing medium, my approach is to bottom water the liquid ferts (botanicare brew in my case) at the first watering needed after pot-up. You could make a tea of the ingredients you mentioned and do the same, I guess.

Are you planning to keep these plants in containers this summer or are you just potting up for a few weeks? Might make a difference what you add going in.

I agree! 15 4" pots sucked up almost a half gallon of mix in 10-15 mins on first watering.

you might try converting the area down to what you got

you may figure a five gallon size pot at 1 square foot and use the amenderators accordingly

I was also thinking about going the Promix way. Would it be a good idea of mixing some compost with it and do something like 50-50 or 2/3 Promix and 1/3 compost.

And I haven't looked online yet, but what is the differences between the Promix HP and BX.

yes because it has no nutrients, was gonna add the bonemeal and kelp in with mix of promix and replant. Then when I do my waterings use the progrow tea..to much?

I was also thinking about going the Promix way. Would it be a good idea of mixing some compost with it and do something like 50-50 or 2/3 Promix and 1/3 compost.

And I haven't looked online yet, but what is the differences between the Promix HP and BX.

HP= high porosity= alot more perlite.idk what BX means, but i know it has less perlite. alot of people buy BX and mix in their own perlite.
i cant comment on how to amend promix, i just feed with dilute hydroponic fertilizer every watering.

BTW anyone know of a place other than the hydro stores in houston to get bails?

yes because it has no nutrients, was gonna add the bonemeal and kelp in with mix of promix and replant. Then when I do my waterings use the progrow tea..to much?

I think this is a great idea. The bone meal and kelp will be slow releasing, so no real worry for burn, just dont add too much. You can always add more later. Teas are ALWAYS great!! My plants get some form of tea 3 out of 4 waterings, and the 4th watering is just ph'ed water.

Again, if you are talking about putting the plants in for long haul container growing, it would seem to make sense to go ahead and amend it.

I like Drzzzts thought of amending Pro Mix with some compost. In addition to that, Silver Surfer's container mix keeps coming to my mind: 15 gal pine bark fines, 5 gal peat, 5 gal perlite, 2.5 gal composted chicken manure, 2.5 gal humus, 2 cups dolomite lime.

I had good luck with a pine bark fines based mix as an overwintering medium. Using pine bark fines 3 to 1 with Pro-Mix (instead of straight peat), and then adding the other goodies mentioned in this thread might be awesome for containers.

QQ, Looks like you've got a couple of possibilites for Houston if they sell retail. Lucky!
Click on Pro-Mix Distributor tab then the map:
Pro Mix Distributors TX

thanks, i actually saw that earlier today and they only list distributors not retailers, i think they sell in pallet volumes not by the bail. actually if i can find a cheep source of milled sphagnum peat moss i might just make my own mix. if not, i guess 35$ a bail at the hydro store isnt THAT bad...

Can anyone help me here with which Botanicare product you use on your peppers/tomatoes?? Just the standard vegetable liquid product?

Thanks

Can anyone help me here with which Botanicare product you use on your peppers/tomatoes?? Just the standard vegetable liquid product?

Thanks

I use progrow and karma...seen lots of other people in here that use that also. (at least for peppers but I am sure its fine for maters also)

+1 what MM1 said. Pro Grow 3-2-4, Liquid Karma .1-.1-.5 and Cal-Mag Plus 2-0-0 most commonly mentioned. My local hydro guy said there is a hydro version and a one for soil & coco. There's also a Pro Bloom 1.5-4-5 for later in the game.

I recently started using Fox Farm Grow Big for soil, along with worm tea. My plants are LOVING it! And they also make hydro versions of the same thing.

Back