• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Proper storage of hot sauces?

I'm just wondering, what is the proper storage of hot sauces, if you have no way of managing indoor temperatures (ie. air conditioning)? I have several hot sauces--most of them unopened--and it gets up to the mid-80s to mid-90s in this house. It gets absolutely horrible in the summer in here, hot and humid in my climate.

The reason I ask is... I know hot sauces typically have preservatives and/or are acidic to prevent dangerous bacterial growth, and in restaurants they're typically left out on tables. But then... in restaurants, their temperature is much more controlled at a comfortable (near or at room temperature) level.

Should I try storing them at all times in the basement, where it is a few degrees lower? Should I immediately refrigerate them, as soon as I bring them home from the store? Or should I leave them wherever I want, but after opening, refrigerate?

Unopened - a dark, cold place. a cupboard in the basement sounds good.
Opened - in the fridge, or even better... in your stomach!

Thanks, I'll be moving my collection downstairs, and the few opened ones into the fridge.

I intend to eventually get a beer fridge, and I might move 'em into there when I do, since the main refrigerator gets pretty crowded.

Back