• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Property/Garden Size

Just curious and would like to ask the members that have these very impressive grow logs and pictures of seed trays with many youngsters growing, how big is your house or garden/property. I'm trying to visualize how much room you all will need once they are potted and go out side. My four only pail potted plants last year took up the top of and entire picnic table so can't visualize the area required for these huge grow lists unless everyone is living on a farm ?

K.

Almost my entire back yard is garden. Who needs a lawn any way? :)
Mostly raised beds, 828 square feet of growing area. Depending on layout, about 1200 linear feet of row. For things that don't need as much room the linear feet can be much more.
Not all of this is for peppers. I grow regular garden veggies too.
Still have a little bit of grass to mow so, there may be more raised beds eventually. :lol:

I "rim the edges" with plants and have a grow area 16' X 24' that last year held 160 plants...my last years total was 353....my lot is between 1/5 and 1/4 acre and I only grow in back yard...

birds eye view Jan 2009

birdseyeviewofmyhouseinJan2010.jpg

Our place is 55 acres but the chillies this year are all grown in the back yard. Last season I had 6000 in the square to the right hand side of the house. The google pic is actually from Feb 2010 which is when the chillies were in there plus a lot of other stuff. You can just make out the green rows running nth sth. This year they are all in the yard behind the house in the red square. I still havent got around to counting them yet but there are roughly 350ish in the ground, there are 75 in 55(usgal) gal tubs that are cut in half and there are about 600 in pots or planter bags and ther are at least a thousand more maybe two in trays waiting to be transplanted or in the germination chamber. 55 acres is way to big for me now I cant wait to downsize to 10 acres by the beach if and when this place sells.
The red square is the 5 acres that is fenced around the house.Our whole property is the knife shaped piece center of the photo bounded by the road and our drive way on the east and south.

TealParkplace.jpg

I would give my right and MAYBE my left nut for an operation like that...

so now you know what really truns me on....

I would give my right and MAYBE my left nut for an operation like that...

so now you know what really truns me on....

I know it is nice but the mortgage is a killer and I have been ill for nearly 2 years, only just coming right now. Its one hell of a lot of work but your right it is nice having a bit of land.

that may help my high harmony... ;)

I have just short of 2 acres in Blacksburg, Virginia. Despite the presence of Virginia Tech University land is practically free up here (without the house the property is valued at less than 10k). My orchard takes up roughly three quarters of an acre, and another three quarters of an acre are dense woods. Most of it was woods when I moved in 2 years ago so I've gone through a lot of chain oil clearing it out.
I have about 250 seedlings going this year and they'll go in the ground on a gentle south facing slope I tilled up that's slightly less than a quarter of an acre. I have another quarter acre I could use but it will probably have to wait until next year on account of it being in the root zone of a massive Black Walnut tree I chopped down (Black Walnuts poison the soil, anything in the Nightshade family is particularily suceptible)

WEll I'm not savvy enough with the computer to paste a google image and crop it and all that.

But my property is 400 feet wide by 475 feet deep. Its around 4 acres. We have a veggie garden that is about 60ft by 30ft made up of mostly 4ft by 20 ft raised beds. This will hold veggies and sweet to mild peppers and is about 30 feet away from the back door. Three of the raised beds will have 24 pepper plants each. So 72 pepper plants in all. I may try to make this "veggie" area a bit bigger this year.

The area I will be growing peppers this year is about 125 feet away from the house and is all cleared for farming. No farming has been done here in over 30 years. The earth is very level here. The dirt is what dreams are made of. Not too heavy and very easy to till. Very little clay. I don't have to do much to prep my area. I will have 12 rows that are 75 feet long and spaced 4 feet apart. Each row will hold 30 plants spaced about 30 inches apart. This will give me a total of 360 plants in an area about 50ft by 75ft.

I can't wait till next year. I thought hitting a few hundred plants would be fun this season. If all goes well, I will plant about a half acre next year. I have an area about 200 ft by 100 feet I want to see with about 2000 plants. Hopefully I will get the business this year to warrant that for next year.

I need to move to Texas.

I have a 10'x20' garden already in the backyard and this year am adding a 10'x30' bed back there. I also am going to build a 3 tier ring bed in the front yard under for Fatalli's and in the future possibly flowers(lol), it will be a 10'/6'/2'. All together 578'[sup]2[/sup]. I should soon be starting my log this year and hopefully will be posting pics of progress. I have to deal with half my backyard being under a big maple and my 10'x20' is as close as I will go toward Shadeville. lol

I have about 250 seedlings going this year and they'll go in the ground on a gentle south facing slope I tilled up that's slightly less than a quarter of an acre. I have another quarter acre I could use but it will probably have to wait until next year on account of it being in the root zone of a massive Black Walnut tree I chopped down (Black Walnuts poison the soil, anything in the Nightshade family is particularily suceptible)

Did you sell the tree/wood? Black Walnut is a very spendy wood and I've heard of people getting big bucks for trees and even people stealing trees.

I like the aerial photo idea guys. Here is mine...

My property is outlined in Red.

propertyp.jpg

The garden beds are outlined in Yellow. My two main beds form the L shape near my house. The square bed is 6'x6'. The long rectangular one is 4'x24'. The bed along the garage is my fathers. I do not know the dimensions. He usually does two tomato plants, two bells, and an eggplant. The front of his bed is lined with strawberries. The outline on the back of the pool is basically an extra spot for varieties I am trying to squeeze onto my grow list. The lighting is terrible (a lot of shade) but the plants still grow and produce well enough. The last spot is that thin rectangle. We plant lettuce there.

property2.jpg

Dont need much land for a nice pepper harvest.

I live in a one bed. apt. that i rent from my landlord who lives upstairs. There is about a half acre property on a southern slope of a hillside with some woodland in the backyard. And a few tall trees all around the area around the house. There is a couple spots on the property that do allow good sunshine apart from shading from the house and the trees. Last year i grew peppers and other veggies in a total of about 200 sq. feet in various beds. The landlord was impressed with my harvests last year, he offered to let me tear up another section of the back yard and he even offered to rent a rotor tiller to help out ;)

I plan on having 60-70 (maybe more if that roto tiller works out) pepper plants this year, while leaving room for the other veggies.

Also i have a connection with a local horse ranch that i can get some free manure from, that should help out too.

Jim

Back