• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Protection from cross pollination???

Just wondering if anyone can help? I have a smallish yard and many different types of chillies. Apart from scaling down plant numbers, has anyone got any suggestions in regard to how I can prevent them from cross pollinating?

Cheers everyone
Dave

I'm using teabags, works fine! Just make sure you cover the bud while it's still closed. Leave the string you attached it with on the plant so you can tell which peppers bear true to origin seeds.
There's also a method using liquid latex, but I haven't tried that yet.

Buy some tulle to cover your plants(or just flowers) or try the glue technique or if they are in pots you can bring 1 in the house till pods appear. I usually use early pods too for seeds since there are basically no bees around here early summer.

Scorpion said:
Just wondering if anyone can help? I have a smallish yard and many different types of chillies. Apart from scaling down plant numbers, has anyone got any suggestions in regard to how I can prevent them from cross pollinating?

Cheers everyone
Dave

Cover the plants with cheese cloth if they outside,if they in the pots take the plants in the house like Potawie said to have pure seeds from plant.:lol:

Back