• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pruning lower branches...Pros and Cons?

A THP member was telling me that he prunes the lowest branches that are without flowers, to provide better air circulation...I can think of reasons for both pruning these lower branches, and for not pruning these same branches. So, I'm wondering how many other folks here prune like this, and why. What are the pros and cons?

i notice the lower branches seem to grow out not up and need support if they get any amount of pods on them.

by lower you mean below the "Y" right?

I prune like this... My rule is if it doesn't get sunlight then it goes.. It promotes better air circulation, prevents disease, and also gives a huge shoot up in upper plant growth since the plant doesn't have to waste its energy any longer on keeping the lower growth alive. Kinda like steroids for peppers lol. But this is just the results I have found that work well for ME... Other people disagree. This is just how I do it.

It's definetly a preference thing...I do it because my OCD tendencies get the best of me and I like my plants to look a certain way...that's pretty much the only reason why I do it ...does it give better airflow or more fruit production...who knows, but I would do it either way..FWIW........

I prune just the lowest ones, which would probably hit / be very close to the ground when pods are set on it.
I also prune some of the older big leaves, which shadows the branches growing under it.

If you have plenty space and light may not be needed but if you grow many plants close together like me it makes sense for promoting air circulation and avoid energy waste on branches that will hardly produce in shade.
Prune when the plant is well etablished to avoid stunting his growth.

Cya

Datil

They don't reduce the amount of energy the plant has for other growth much, rather they grow from the sun they gather, in accordance with that.

I never prune them and when they get larger they start forking and dozens of pods each to the point that I absolutely MUST tie them to a stake to keep them from either breaking or dragging the ground. 

However I'm talking about potted plants.  Even if they are close together there is a sufficient gap between pots and under the lowest extended branches for air circulation.  It's also worth noting that the larger the pot I use the more they produce these side-shoot branches.

You know, I wonder about this "air circulation" concern. I'm not convinced at this point that it's even an real issue for the vast majority of growers.

I dont prune, well I only prune the Tree Hab so it still looks like a tree.  Once my plants go outside they go nuts with the new branches from below the split quickly outgrowing the main stem.

Roguejim said:
You know, I wonder about this "air circulation" concern. I'm not convinced at this point that it's even an real issue for the vast majority of growers.

It depends on how much rain you get, how well the soil drains, temperatures, etc.   It's also about how much humidity and shade the plant provides as an environment hospitable to harmful insects.

Air circulation? I don't see any problems with air circulation and lower branches. My lower branches produce tons of pods under the huge chinese leaves. It will also keep them warmer when fall starts coming. I don't advise cutting off good growth unless you are topping to promote lower growth in order to make your plant more bushy.

I don't touch 'em. My best plants this season are the ones shooting out loads of branches, and said branches are covered in flowers. Especially varieties like the lemondrop and cumari do para that are supposed to be bushy.

I guess if you want your plant to look pretty... Do it up. I'm in it for the yield.

I agree I only prune yellow leaves but I barely have to touch those for them to come off, and it doesn't happen often. Otherwise, I let them grow as nature intended, treelike, vinelike, or bushlike as they will!

Pros for me:
Anything touching the dirt goes.

• Air circulation, to prevent fungal and bactirial infection.
  • Less likely to get bugs from the soil on the leaves.  Like Ants, Slugs, Snails, Earwigs, and so on.
  • Easier to get to the soil for watering.
  • Overall cleaner garden.

Cayennemist said:
<p>Pros for me:Anything touching the dirt goes. 
  • Air circulation, to prevent fungal and bactirial infection.
  • Less likely to get bugs from the soil on the leaves.  Like Ants, Slugs, Snails, Earwigs, and so on.
  • Easier to get to the soil for watering.
  • Overall cleaner garden.
Well said and other then my main reason of OCD , you hit the nail on the head...this whole I let them grow like they do in nature or Mother Nature intended etc makes me chuckle, cause they don't grow in containers in nature....

Back