• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Pubescens Research Thread

I have two pubescens growing. One is a late start, and hasn't flowered yet.
The other is a seed from Beth at Peppermania, an Orange Rocoto. That one
is the subject of this post.

The plant has been tempermental since it was a seedling.
It always seemed difficult to get the watering and lighting
just right when it was under the lights (6500K T12). Once
outside, it wound up in a sunny spot, and the sun has made
life hard for it. Next year, I will keep it in a more dappled
shade area. The plant set three pods in Early summer,
but once temps increased, it stopped setting pods, but
kept flowering. When the weather cooled a bit the last
couple of weeks, it finally set some more pods, and now
has over a dozen. The original three are ripening. This
plant is in a 10 gallon container.

DSCN4683a.jpg

The original three pods. One had a severe sunburn during a
stretch of really hot days.
DSCN4686a.jpg

Recently, there have been more pods setting:
DSCN4684a.jpg

DSCN4689a.jpg

DSCN4690a.jpg

DSCN4694a.jpg

Hope this is helpful. I'm optimistic that I will get some ripe pods for seeds
and sampling this year. Will definitely try to grow them next year, as well.

- What is your latitude, and northern or southern hemisphere? (Southern hemisphere has more water than northern, so that may be a factor.)

Just above 45th parallel. Elevation 200feet (61m). USDA hardiness zone 8-9, Sunset climate Zone 6 (Warmer summers and cooler winters distinguish Zone 6 from coastal Zone 5. Tucked between the Coast Range and the Cascades, Zone 6 includes the Willamette Valley in Oregon, the Columbia River Valley between Vancouver and Longview, and the Cowlitz drainage from Longview to Toledo.
The Coast Range buffers the impact of Pacific storms, but Zone 6 is still a maritime climate,with a long growing season (from 155 days at Cottage Grove to 280 days in Portland neighborhoods) and 40 to 55 inches of annual precipitation most places. The continental influence is felt two to four times each winter when chilly interior air flows west through the Columbia Gorge and produces wind and freezing rain clear to the Portland airport. In spite of this, Portland is among the mildest parts of Zone 6—a great place to experiment with borderline plants like eucalyptus, acacias, and oleanders. Summer temperatures in Zone 6 average 10 to 15°F (5 to 8°C) higher than those along the coast, while winters are cold enough to trigger good fruit set. Ten-year extremes average 0 to 10°F (–18 to –12°C). Warm summers and chilly winters make the Willamette Valley one of the West’s best-known growing areas for berries, hazelnuts, roses, flowering fruit trees, and broadleafed evergreens.)

- Average temps over the last month, by week.

night: 41-65, mostly in low 50's. Nights starting to cool off, now

day: 74-105, mostly in high 70's to 80's

- In ground or in pots?

One in 10 gallon container, another in a 7 gallon root pouch

- What ferts?

Alaska Fish Fertilizer and Alaska Mor Bloom every 2-3 weeks
Foliar Kelp once in a while

- What soil and what soil conditions?

1/3 each peat, compost, horticultural pumice. Bone Meal added to soil several weeks before plant out. Mycos/humic added at plant out time, and at each potting up.

drip irrigation with 1/4" (6-7mm) soaker rings - 25psi low pressure system.

- When did you either pot up to final pot size or put in the ground?

first week of June

- What pH?

not sure

- When did you start seeds, if you did?

Jan 22nd 2012

- First-year or 2nd year (etc.) plant(s)?

Both first year

- Hours of direct sunlight/day?

Noon until sunset direct sun, very hot some days

- Average humidity?

Relative humidity is highest during early morning hours, and is generally 80-100 percent throughout the year. Humidity is generally lowest during the afternoon, ranging from 70-80 percent during January to 30-50 percent during summer.

- What is your latitude, and northern or southern hemisphere? (Southern hemisphere has more water than northern, so that may be a factor.)
My plants has to go through Norwegian weather. All of them has been grown in greenhouse or indoors hydroponic system.

- Average temps over the last month, by week.
Indoor hydroponic system was holding a steady 75f to 80f.
Greenhouse vary from 57f to 86f.

- In ground or in pots?
The greenhouse plant was growing straight in the ground.
Hydroponic one was growing in ebb and flow system.

- What ferts?
Greenhouse plant hasn't received any nutrients, only rich soil.
Hydroponic plant got lucas formula nutrient mix with GHE.

Soil in greenhouse is just bought from a local gardener store, unknown quality.

The hydroponic plant has been grown in it's location from seed.
Greenhouse plant went from 1 gallon pot and into the ground when root bound.

- What pH?
Hydroponic pH around 6.1
Soil level is unknown, don't have device to measure.

Second week in January.

First year plant, my manzano plants seem to hate overwintering. Stems almost instantly dry out all the way.

Mid summer can be 12+ hours. Here in Norway it can be light all night during mid summer.
Hydroponic plant has been grown under 600w led grow light.

- Average humidity?
Not totally sure but around 30-50%.

I'm considering not growing manzano at all next year. I don't have unlimited space for a plant that produces barely nothing, only bunch of flower drop. Been growing them for two years now in soil and hydroponics but the yield is always terrible. Probably 7 to 12 pods per plant.

Don't have a great picture of the plants because they grew so crowded so couldn't separate it for a shot.

Greenhouse:
p1030785a.jpg

p1030756a.jpg

Indoor hydroponics:
img2265n.jpg

In my experience starting them very early and putting out large plants in a less than ideal climate is crucial to getting any production. I still struggle a lot with them. I think building a shade house would be great for this species. They HATE full sunlight here and it isn't nearly as strong as other regions. Everyone says 2nd year plants do much better. They are for those who love a challenge for sure.

Chris

I had one flower appear on my Manzano Yellow whilst it was indoors under lights, but i needed to trim the plant back as it was getting too big for my limited grow area.

I moved it outside and rehomed it in a pot about a month ago, and it now has it's final home in the garden. The spot it's in now is really shaded, so we'll see how it goes.

It's interesting that these appear so difficult to grow, as on one of my visits to JR's during mid-winter here he showed me his Manzano which was still giving heaps of pods! I think it's a fairly established plant now though...will have to ask him next time.

Oh, and Paul G....what's with the square pod in your pic man! It might just be the angle, but it looks like a cube from here!! Crazy!

DSCN4690a.jpg

PI 585261 (Ultra Pube) - it gave me its first ripen pod 179 days after seed sprouting.

I am from Russia, Moscow so northern hemisphere . 56°N 36°E

- In ground or in pots?
At first in a Pot indoor
after mowing outdoor in ground

- What ferts?
Ca(NO[sub]3[/sub])[sub]2[/sub]
Valagro Master 15-5-30 (NPK)

Coconut and Soil with Compost - indoor
Clay - outdoor

In the end of June

- What pH?
6-7 pH

2011 mid October

1 first year

Indoor: HPS 250W 12 hours/day
Outdoor: in the shade of an apple tree

- Average humidity?
~35-50% indoor
~60-90% outdoor

Back