• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Puckerbutt Rare Peppers

I might've messed up my labels cause I didn't take the normal care I do due to injuries. But I ordered 5 varieties from Puckerbutt Seeds from the rare seeds collection and I have some oddities that I'm curious about.

This is supposed to be Cheiro Roxa, and all 3 plants I have look like this. One labeled Cheiro hasn't fruited yet
Cheiro%20Roxa%20-%20SF.jpg

This is supposed to be CGN 21500, and all 5 plants look like this
CGN25100%20-%20SF.jpg

And this is supposed to be Cabaca Roxa (and I kinda think it is, it's just slightly different from their picture)
Cabaca%20Roxa%20-%20SF.jpg

Any ideas if I got the right stuff or what they might be? The one I labeled Cheiro Roxa looks the prettiest and my garden is a shade garden. I don't get full sun all day just 4 hours of direct light and lightly filtered early morning sun and heavily filtered afternoon sun.

The other two I ordered were Fidalga Roxa and Pimenta de Puma and they both look exactly like what was pictured.

What color are the flowers of your Cheiro Roxa and Cabaça Roxa? I'm pretty sure both are from my country as their name is in portuguese... As the name sugest, it should turn purple when it is ripe

Not a Cheiro Roxa. Those are purplish plants with purplish flowers. Pods start out a darker purple and lighten to a pinkish-purple color as they ripen. Picture here: https://www.semillas.de/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi

CGN21500 is also a purplish plant with roundish pods that ripen to a pinkish-peach with a bit of purple on them.

What you have looks completely different to me in both cases. Sorry, looks like someone screwed up.

Yeah, what BlackFatalii said. I believe all of those three varieties should have some type of purple foliage. I know my Cheiro Roxa is one of my darkest purple plants. And I think those Cabaca Roxa pods look pretty different from what they're supposed to be. For one thing, they just have green foliage.

I actually think some of those look like they might be baccatums, based on the shape of the calyx. I may be wrong, but you should take some pics of their flowers.

When you say you might have mixed up your labels...are you growing many other varieties that these might more likely match up to? If not, I would contact the seller, because these look very far off of the varieties you purchased.

Perfect forum to ask on but I don't remember Christopher Phillips screen name here.  I am not sure if Puckerbutt sourced their initial seed stock from Mr. Phillips or if Mr. Phillips supplies them.  But the rare seeds at Puckerbutt are billed as the Christopher Phillips collection.

Maybe someone who knows his screen name could IM him and point to your questions.

I sent them an email but I haven't heard back. I'm not the type to get angry over a mix up, I just want to know what I have. Cause I'm keeping what ever that creamy orange one is cause I think it looks pretty cool.

They all taste baccatummy to me.

I'll see about some pictures of the flowers. We just had some good rain come through that beat down everything.

Jubnat said:
Yeah, what BlackFatalii said. I believe all of those three varieties should have some type of purple foliage. I know my Cheiro Roxa is one of my darkest purple plants. And I think those Cabaca Roxa pods look pretty different from what they're supposed to be. For one thing, they just have green foliage.

I actually think some of those look like they might be baccatums, based on the shape of the calyx. I may be wrong, but you should take some pics of their flowers.

When you say you might have mixed up your labels...are you growing many other varieties that these might more likely match up to? If not, I would contact the seller, because these look very far off of the varieties you purchased.

The only new stuff I added were: Fidalga Roxa, Cheiro Roxa, CGN21500, Cabaca Roxa, Pimenta de Puma(all from puckerbutt) and Pimenta de Neyde, and Trinidad Perfume(from Refining Fire Chilies)

Ummm, yeah. Those are all baccatum flowers. Not even the right species. Can't say I'm too surprised though. I grew out 5 "CGN21500" plants from Puckerbutt seeds a couple of years ago. All 5 plants grew into some kind of heatless red baccatum. Oh well. At least the mystery pods had a nice flavor...

TheWalkingPepper said:
I sent them an email but I haven't heard back.

Good luck. I have never gotten a response from those people to any of my emails, and I sent them several regarding a couple of different issues with their seeds. Being ignored like that, combined with the hit and miss results I have gotten from their seeds, is why I don't even bother with them anymore. IMO, there are much better seed vendors out there. Including some who are active members here.  :D

Back