• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2016 Grow Log - better late than never.

Like the title says, better late than never.  It's been such a busy beginning to the year with work, I've not been able to do much of anything on this website, but I'm going to make a go of it just because this community has been such a good thing in my pepper growing experience.  I want to stay connected.

I began sowing seed at the end of December and had four more stages to it - two in January and two more in February.  

Here is the grow list:

A1 Bob's Pickling              Pepperlover            Annuum
A2 Hot Cherry Pepper      Buckeye Pepper     Annuum
A3 Jalapeno Biker Billy     Buckeye Pepper     Annuum
A4 Monkey Face Yellow   Buckeye Pepper     Annuum

B1 Aji Cito                         Pepperlover           Baccatum
B2 Aji Habanero               Pepperlover            Baccatum
B3 Aji Melocoton (PL)       Pepperlover           Baccatum
B4 Aji Peruvian                 Pepperlover           Baccatum
B5 Bishops Crown            Buckeye Pepper    Baccatum
B6 Brazilian Starfish         Pepperlover           Baccatum
B7 Orange Starfish           Pepperlover           Baccatum
B8 Aji Fantasy                  Buckeye Pepper    Baccatum

C1 7 Pot Brain Strain [R]                    Cappy       Chinense
C2 7 Pot Brain Strain Caramel (F2)   Romy 6     Chinense
C3 7 Pot Bubble Gum (Brown)           Romy 6     Chinense
C4 7 Pot Peach (F3)                           Sawyer    Chinense
C5 7 Pot Primo                                   Pepperlover   Chinense
C6a 7 Pot Yellow                                Andy             Chinense
C6b 7 Pot Yellow                                Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C7a Bahamian Goat                           Andy           Chinense
C7b Bahamian Goat                           Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C8 Bhut Jolokia Peach (SS)                Pepperlover      Chinense
C9 Bhut Jolokia Red                           Pepperlover       Chinense
C10a Bhut Orange Copenhagen        Andy              Chinense
C10b Bhut Orange Copenhagen         Coheed196     Chinense
C11 Big Black Mama                          Romy 6           Chinense
C12 Carolina Reaper                          Andy               Chinense
C13 Coyote Zan White                        Pepperlover   Chinense
C14 Harold St. Barts Habanero          Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C15 Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion       Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C16 Naga Brain Yellow                       Romy 6                  Chinense
C17 Nebru7 SB                                  Trident Chilli           Chinense
C18 SBJ7                                            Romy 6                  Chinense
C19 SBJ7 Yellow (F1)                         Romy 6                 Chinense
C20 Scotch Bonnet Black River           Gentners              Chinense
C21 Scotch Bonnet FDA Red              Trident Chilli          Chinense
C22 Scotch Bonnet FDA Yellow          Pic1                       Chinense
C23 Scotch Bonnet Giant MoA            Romy 6                 Chinense
C24 Scotch Bonnet MoA                      Steve954              Chinense
C25 Scotch Bonnet Peach                  Trident Chilli           Chinense
C26 Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farm    Andy                     Chinense
C27 Trinidad Scotch Bonnet x 7 Pot    Trident Chilli          Chinense
C28 Uruguay Seasoning                      Pepperlover          Chinense
C29 Wild Brazil                                     Coheed196           Chinense
C30 Santa Rosa Bianca                       Trade Winds         Chinense
C31 Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie        Pic1                     Chinense
C32 Chinese 5 Color                            Buckeye Pepper   Chinense
C33 Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (O)      Buckeye Pepper   Chinense
C34 7 Pot Jonah                                   Aji Joe                 Chinense

P1 CAP1481 Guatemala                       Coheed196          Pubescens
P2 CAP273 Peru                                   Coheed196          Pubescens
P4 Giant Mexican Rocoto (ow)              Pepperlover         Pubescens
P5 Pineapple Rocoto (ow)                     Pepperlover         Pubescens
P6 CAP357 (Peru)                                 Coheed196          Pubescens
P7 CAP 1695                                         Coheed196         Pubescens

W1 CAP 212 C. Chacoense                  Coheed196          Chacoense
W2 Tsholo                                             Coheed196
W3 Galapagoense                                 Coheed196          Galap.

This was actually an attempt to cut back on the number of varieties and peppers, which I did by maybe 10, but there were too many good seeds that I had. 
Also, this grow list reflects some of the wonderful people on THP as well as some vendors I really love (pepperlover and buckeye).

Finally, just to have this down somewhere - this is my 5th year of having a glog, so I thought I'd link them all at least for myself for future use, if no one else.  2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.  

I'll have pictures later.
Thanks for stopping by!

Here's a shot of the grow shelf - just getting going from a few weeks ago:

2016-02-22_4037.jpg

Here is the top level where germination happens:

2016-02-22_4038.jpg

And some seedlings:

2016-02-22_4040.jpg

My overwintered plants - mostly C. Pubescens:

2016-02-22_4039.jpg

And a new C. Pubescens - the CAP 1695.  I'm curious what these will look like.  

2016-02-22_4036.jpg

Here are some scotch bonnet plants from seed that was collected by some parishioners that were on a short term mission trip to Jamaica.  They got a Scotch bonnet from a roadside stand near Black River, so these will be Scotch Bonnet Black River plants.  I'm excited to see how they go.

2016-02-23_4034.jpg

Finally, some of the plants in the 3x3 pots I move them too in their first step from germination.  This was a few weeks ago too.  I'll have new pictures coming sometime...

2016-02-23_4035.jpg

Have a great night and thanks for stopping by!

Glad to see you back Andy I've been looking forward to your glog!
I started off good this season then germination got bumpy I am back in the saddle more or less now .
That is am impressive list loving your pics as well.
Hope the Scotch Bonnet Black River does well for you & your Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farm SB's along with everything else.

Looking good, Andy.  Nice OW operation you have going there.  I'm taking a "better late than never" approach this year, too, but in a different sense.  I sowed the first flat yesterday (including some of your Schneider Farm SB), at least two or three weeks later than I would like.  Hopefully things will snowball from here.

Hi Andy!

Things are looking great your way!

I'm in the same boat as far as a late start. But it's all good!

Good luck this season!

Wow - thanks for all the responses guys!  And that's why I wanted to do another glog - nice to keep in touch.

stc3248 said:
Wow Andy!!! That is an ambitious list! Will be coming along for the ride! 

I didn't mean to make it so ambitious, but then folks sent some cool seeds and I ordered more... you know how it goes.

Plantguy76 said:
Glad to see you back Andy I've been looking forward to your glog!
I started off good this season then germination got bumpy I am back in the saddle more or less now .
That is am impressive list loving your pics as well.
Hope the Scotch Bonnet Black River does well for you & your Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farm SB's along with everything else.

Thanks!  I'm excited about those Scotch Bonnets as well.  Should be fun to see what develops!

romy6 said:
 Andy love the variety and looking forward to following from seed to fruit  :fireball:

Thanks Jamie - you are partly to blame for the list being out of my control again, by the way! 

coheed196 said:
Very nice list. Ive not seen or grown the cap 1695 either. Looking forward to watching what it turns into

Hey it's great to see you back around!  Thanks again for all the awesome seed you sent awhile back.  Did you ever grow out the Tsholo?  I'm wondering if it is the smaller white pods in that variety.  I overwintered two of the Pubescens from the seed you sent too.  I should get some good production from them this year.  Are you doing a glog?

dragonsfire said:
Monster list, good luck ! :)

Thank you!

Sawyer said:
Looking good, Andy.  Nice OW operation you have going there.  I'm taking a "better late than never" approach this year, too, but in a different sense.  I sowed the first flat yesterday (including some of your Schneider Farm SB), at least two or three weeks later than I would like.  Hopefully things will snowball from here.

Thanks John! Glad you got those Scotch Bonnets going - I hope they do well for you.  There's still plenty of season left - we're just getting started!

meatfreak said:
Good luck with the grow, plants are already looking great!

Thank you!

Devv said:
Hi Andy!

Things are looking great your way!

I'm in the same boat as far as a late start. But it's all good!

Good luck this season!

Thanks Scott! Great to hear from you and see you back around.  Good luck to you as well!

Alright, just a few pictures for tonight:

I was only able to collect a small amount of sap due to the way the weather has been this spring.  So I'm cooking it down.

2016-03-10_4166.jpg

I got a small flower from a parishioner last year called a "winter aconite".  It blooms super early and is a pretty little flower:

2016-03-08_4172.jpg

Speaking of pretty little flower - here's a flower from my overwintered Pineapple Rocoto:

2016-03-09_4170.jpg

Here's another shot of the Scotch Bonnet Black River plants.  They are coming along nicely.

2016-03-10_4165.jpg

And a yellow Naga Brain (Romy6) - I'm excited about this one!

2016-03-09_4169.jpg

The taller purple tinted plants are a semi-wild variety called a Tsholo (Coheed) - nice looking plants thus far.

2016-03-09_4168.jpg

Finally, here's a shot of the grow shelves as they fill up:

2016-03-09_4167.jpg

That's all for tonight - thanks for stopping by!

stc3248 said:
What great looking plants! Just about perfect! Nicely done thus far, can't wait to see all those plants swallow up your house again! 

Thanks! They are coming along nicely.  I enjoy the stage with the big fat green leaves.  I'm already sensing I'm going to have space issues inside before I can get them out...

Jeff H said:
Great looking start to the season Andy. Best of luck.

Thank you Jeff!

Allright, Andy - good to see you getting underway with another
ambitious grow!  Looks like yu grow shelf is just the ticket.

I hope you have a super great season!

Trident chilli said:
Great start Andy ... your Schneider Farm has done well for me I will be following the black river's with interest ... all the very best for the season my friend

Thank you!  Yeah, keep an eye on that new Scotch Bonnet and let me know if you like it.  

Sawyer said:
Plants look great, as always.  I've really gotta compliment you on the grow shelves, so neat and clean.

Thanks!  That room is working out great for my grow area.  Those shelves are really the way to go to get things started.  Very space efficient.

Devv said:
Plus 1 on #16

Good stuff there!

Thank you!

PaulG said:
Allright, Andy - good to see you getting underway with another
ambitious grow!  Looks like yu grow shelf is just the ticket.

I hope you have a super great season!

Yeah, I really tried to cut back.  But then I do extras for the pepper draft and then... wow, I've got a lot of plants again.

I've continued my work potting up my seedlings.
Here is the growshelf unit just about full.  I added the final tray on the bottom after this shot, then had another tray over into the overflow area (which is lit, but the timer turned off while I was busy potting).

2016-03-15_4173.jpg

Here's the overflow:

2016-03-15_4177.jpg

Here is one of Jamie's (Romy6) Naga Brain Yellows. These have some very large, pointed leaves on them. They are pretty distinct in my group of plants right now.

2016-03-15_4174.jpg

This is a Santa Rosa Bianca – a pepper I got from Tradewinds Fruit that is supposed to go from white to red. They look pretty, sound good, and were interesting. Here is a link to Tradewinds Fruit description.

2016-03-15_4175-e1458017602885.jpg

This is seed for a Bhut Orange Copenhagen that I collected myself. I tried to select a pod that was hidden by growth, hoping it will not be a crossed line, but we’ll see if it grows true.

2016-03-15_4176.jpg

I had to plant some more seed for the Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorpion, so this is from the second round. I know it’s small, but this new container will pay off in a week or two.

2016-03-15_4178.jpg

Here is a group of Caramel Brain Strains (Romy6) just prior to being potted up. I have no idea about their taste. I am thinking they’ll be hot though.

2016-03-15_4179.jpg

Finally, here are the germination numbers and the number of plants I kept. I keep track of such things on a simple excel spreadsheet.

chart1.jpg

chart2.jpg

You’ll notice that I have 277 plants, plus the extra 14 on the side, with probably about 12 more to come. That’s over 300 pepper plants. I failed at keeping it smaller. My germination percentage took a huge hit with my first failed attempt where I didn’t have the temperature right as well as due to just a couple batches of bad seed.

That’s all I have for now. Thanks for stopping by!

Back