• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer 2016 Grow Log - better late than never.

Like the title says, better late than never.  It's been such a busy beginning to the year with work, I've not been able to do much of anything on this website, but I'm going to make a go of it just because this community has been such a good thing in my pepper growing experience.  I want to stay connected.

I began sowing seed at the end of December and had four more stages to it - two in January and two more in February.  

Here is the grow list:

A1 Bob's Pickling              Pepperlover            Annuum
A2 Hot Cherry Pepper      Buckeye Pepper     Annuum
A3 Jalapeno Biker Billy     Buckeye Pepper     Annuum
A4 Monkey Face Yellow   Buckeye Pepper     Annuum

B1 Aji Cito                         Pepperlover           Baccatum
B2 Aji Habanero               Pepperlover            Baccatum
B3 Aji Melocoton (PL)       Pepperlover           Baccatum
B4 Aji Peruvian                 Pepperlover           Baccatum
B5 Bishops Crown            Buckeye Pepper    Baccatum
B6 Brazilian Starfish         Pepperlover           Baccatum
B7 Orange Starfish           Pepperlover           Baccatum
B8 Aji Fantasy                  Buckeye Pepper    Baccatum

C1 7 Pot Brain Strain [R]                    Cappy       Chinense
C2 7 Pot Brain Strain Caramel (F2)   Romy 6     Chinense
C3 7 Pot Bubble Gum (Brown)           Romy 6     Chinense
C4 7 Pot Peach (F3)                           Sawyer    Chinense
C5 7 Pot Primo                                   Pepperlover   Chinense
C6a 7 Pot Yellow                                Andy             Chinense
C6b 7 Pot Yellow                                Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C7a Bahamian Goat                           Andy           Chinense
C7b Bahamian Goat                           Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C8 Bhut Jolokia Peach (SS)                Pepperlover      Chinense
C9 Bhut Jolokia Red                           Pepperlover       Chinense
C10a Bhut Orange Copenhagen        Andy              Chinense
C10b Bhut Orange Copenhagen         Coheed196     Chinense
C11 Big Black Mama                          Romy 6           Chinense
C12 Carolina Reaper                          Andy               Chinense
C13 Coyote Zan White                        Pepperlover   Chinense
C14 Harold St. Barts Habanero          Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C15 Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion       Buckeye Pepper    Chinense
C16 Naga Brain Yellow                       Romy 6                  Chinense
C17 Nebru7 SB                                  Trident Chilli           Chinense
C18 SBJ7                                            Romy 6                  Chinense
C19 SBJ7 Yellow (F1)                         Romy 6                 Chinense
C20 Scotch Bonnet Black River           Gentners              Chinense
C21 Scotch Bonnet FDA Red              Trident Chilli          Chinense
C22 Scotch Bonnet FDA Yellow          Pic1                       Chinense
C23 Scotch Bonnet Giant MoA            Romy 6                 Chinense
C24 Scotch Bonnet MoA                      Steve954              Chinense
C25 Scotch Bonnet Peach                  Trident Chilli           Chinense
C26 Scotch Bonnet Schneider Farm    Andy                     Chinense
C27 Trinidad Scotch Bonnet x 7 Pot    Trident Chilli          Chinense
C28 Uruguay Seasoning                      Pepperlover          Chinense
C29 Wild Brazil                                     Coheed196           Chinense
C30 Santa Rosa Bianca                       Trade Winds         Chinense
C31 Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie        Pic1                     Chinense
C32 Chinese 5 Color                            Buckeye Pepper   Chinense
C33 Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (O)      Buckeye Pepper   Chinense
C34 7 Pot Jonah                                   Aji Joe                 Chinense

P1 CAP1481 Guatemala                       Coheed196          Pubescens
P2 CAP273 Peru                                   Coheed196          Pubescens
P4 Giant Mexican Rocoto (ow)              Pepperlover         Pubescens
P5 Pineapple Rocoto (ow)                     Pepperlover         Pubescens
P6 CAP357 (Peru)                                 Coheed196          Pubescens
P7 CAP 1695                                         Coheed196         Pubescens

W1 CAP 212 C. Chacoense                  Coheed196          Chacoense
W2 Tsholo                                             Coheed196
W3 Galapagoense                                 Coheed196          Galap.

This was actually an attempt to cut back on the number of varieties and peppers, which I did by maybe 10, but there were too many good seeds that I had. 
Also, this grow list reflects some of the wonderful people on THP as well as some vendors I really love (pepperlover and buckeye).

Finally, just to have this down somewhere - this is my 5th year of having a glog, so I thought I'd link them all at least for myself for future use, if no one else.  2012, 2013, 2014, 2015.  

I'll have pictures later.
Thanks for stopping by!

stickman said:
Your raised beds are looking extremely productive this year Andy, and your outdoor projects too. Definitely no moss on you. ;)  Thanks for your impressions on the Baccatums you've tried, I'm still looking for the best varieties to grow here. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Rick, my being so busy has kept me from this website more than I'd like, but it's been a good year for growing things.  

Devv said:
I've been missing your posts!

I really like what you have going on, chickens, I used to raise them, loved the natural eggs, but too many critters like the chickens more than we did. Maybe again when I retire, and can watch them better. Good luck with them!  They are kind of mean to each other though..

Your garden has improved immensely since last year ;)  Glad to see all the pods in the wings!

Mine was a late start. I wasn't really into it after the health issues last spring, but now I'm back and I can eat heat again! And I have the fall season to look forward to; 3 to 4 weeks and I should start to see good things ;)

Wishing you continued success!

The garden is so much better than the previous two years, I am so thankful.  The past two years were a bit depressing.  This year things are going crazy!

Good luck getting things going again!

Ok - so a quick update...

Here is a shot of the whole garden.  You can see the plants are doing really well.  I've got a ton of green pods.  It should be a good harvest this year.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with all those peppers  :onfire:

2016-08-08_4740-1024x678.jpg

Here is one of the Black River Scotch Bonnets from seed that was brought back by some parishioners who went on a mission trip to Jamaica. It's got a great shape to it.

2016-08-01_4819-1024x678.jpg

And here is one of the Schneider Farm Scotch Bonnets - seed from the plant I had last year from a guy in a grow shop.

2016-08-01_4821-1024x678.jpg

Here is my third child posing with a Yellow Naga Brain (Romy6)

2016-08-08_4746-1024x678.jpg

...and a whole bush full of Yellow Naga Brains. These are beautiful peppers and very hot. I had one tonight diced up in hamburger and grilled. It was wonderful and warm.

2016-08-08_4749-1024x678.jpg

Here's my oldest, posing in front of one of the raised beds. This gives you a bit of perspective as to how big the plants are this year.

2016-08-08_4745-1024x678.jpg

Here is a 7 Pot Primo (Pepperlover). When these grow true to form with their shape, they look amazing.

2016-08-08_4754-1024x678.jpg

The FDA Scotch Bonnet Red (Trident Chili) have such a wonderful shape. The plant that I pulled these from is doing great. I wonder sometimes why it is that some particular plants just really put out the pods. This one, for instance, is a great producer. It may be a combination of plant and that particular spot in the garden, I don't know...

2016-08-08_4755-1024x678.jpg

Here is my second, posing by the sunflowers she helped me plant.

2016-08-08_4748-1024x678.jpg

Finally, the chickens are doing well. We combined them all into the one run last week and they haven't killed each other yet. You can see we've got it set up so the door to the coop doubles as a door to the pen. When it's nighttime and they go in to roost, we just shut the door. It's kept predators out just fine, so I think this set up will work.

2016-08-01_4806-1024x678.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

The bonnets are looking great. The garden as a whole is doing well. Nice dark green leaves on them plants. I don't know why some are great producers and others are not. I have Chiltepin, Goats Weed, Aji Pineapple, Habanero on the edge of the garden. That side is shade deed most of the day. The are the healthiest of all the plants in the garden. All of them have been late bloomers, the rest already have pod's on them. If I had a longer season that would work for me. I need to take notes and next year choose the right time to put the garden under shade cloth. I like how you built the dual purpose door. The trident bonnet does have a great shape, as well as those Schneider's in the background. Raised beds are amazing. I've been looking for tractor tires. Would like to set a couple up around the yard.

Amazing grow thus far (as always) Andy! Love the mix of peppers/kids/critters and other plants. Must be nice to have some kid friendly chickens, most of ours were mean...which usually meant it was time for some chicken and dumplings.

Hey there Andy!

Good things happening your way! Glad the kids are involved, when mine were young they helped bottle feed the first round of calves we purchased. Chickens were fun too, but our work schedule made it hard to really take care of them. They do need to be watched or they tend to just disappear in a rural environment.

Glad to see the hard work you put into your place has payed off ;)  I surely know what it takes to turn things around and get some production going. Good job!

Take care!

OCD Chilehead said:
The bonnets are looking great. The garden as a whole is doing well. Nice dark green leaves on them plants. I don't know why some are great producers and others are not. I have Chiltepin, Goats Weed, Aji Pineapple, Habanero on the edge of the garden. That side is shade deed most of the day. The are the healthiest of all the plants in the garden. All of them have been late bloomers, the rest already have pod's on them. If I had a longer season that would work for me. I need to take notes and next year choose the right time to put the garden under shade cloth. I like how you built the dual purpose door. The trident bonnet does have a great shape, as well as those Schneider's in the background. Raised beds are amazing. I've been looking for tractor tires. Would like to set a couple up around the yard.

Thanks - yeah, I try to pay attention to what does well and where, and then you notice that different seasons with different levels of heat make them grow differently as well....  The tractor tires are working wonderfully, I'm really pleased with them.

stc3248 said:
Amazing grow thus far (as always) Andy! Love the mix of peppers/kids/critters and other plants. Must be nice to have some kid friendly chickens, most of ours were mean...which usually meant it was time for some chicken and dumplings.

Shane!  Great to hear from you!  Yeah, the chickens have been great.  We just butchered our meat chickens (3 of them) yesterday.  They should be delicious.  We have a 2 roosters, one we'll give away and another I'll keep around, unless it chases the kids, then yeah, it's the stewpot.

Devv said:
Hey there Andy!

Good things happening your way! Glad the kids are involved, when mine were young they helped bottle feed the first round of calves we purchased. Chickens were fun too, but our work schedule made it hard to really take care of them. They do need to be watched or they tend to just disappear in a rural environment.

Glad to see the hard work you put into your place has payed off ;)  I surely know what it takes to turn things around and get some production going. Good job!

Take care!

Thanks - it is good to see all that work pay off.  The first two seasons at this place have been depressing, so this has been wonderful.  I'm hoping this season will be a sign of things to come.

The garden is hopping.  I just got a new phone, and was out in the garden taking pictures - so I'm trying it out...

Here is a Peach Ghost (Pepperlover) - tons of pods on this one.  Here is one turning peach.

20160815_203731-1024x768.jpg

A red ghost pepper (pepperlover) with some Bahamian Goat peppers (Buckeye pepper) lurking in the background.

20160815_203557-1024x768.jpg

This one is called a Santa Rosa Bianca (Tradewinds) - pretty little things...

20160815_203506-1024x768.jpg

Here are some of the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Oranges (Buckeye) - not sure the shape is right, but they look nice and are doing well.

20160815_203417-1024x768.jpg

A C. Chacoense (Coheed). It's a pretty plant, the pods are small, nice to pop in your mouth while you're out in the garden, but they bite back.

20160815_203355-1024x768.jpg

And these Wild Brazil peppers (Coheed) are small, pretty, and bite back too.

20160815_203119-1024x768.jpg

This is a yellow FDA Scotch Bonnet (Pic1) - beautiful looking pepper.

20160815_203041-1024x768.jpg

These are "Giant MoA Scotch Bonnets" (Trident Chili). Not sure if the shape is right, but they are good sized and producing nicely.

20160815_203008-1024x768.jpg

Next up, the Black River Scotch Bonnet - great shape on this one, some gnarly bumps on the one beside it. These are turning out nice!

20160815_202932-1024x768.jpg

Alright, that's what I've got tonight.

Thanks for stopping by!

stickman said:
Whatever you're doing in the garden, keep on doing it Andy! Your pics are looking stellar! What are your plans for preserving your harvest? Do you have any favorite dishes you like to make with it?

dehydrate, freeze for using to infuse with jams and maple syrup, making some hot sauce, and man I don't even know...  :surprised:

Plantguy76 said:
Loving your bonnets Andy!
I have what was supposed to be a sengal a bonnet type but I've come to believe there crossed with Jamaican Red Habanero so I am calling them Bonnero's lol
I am gonna save seed an see what the f2's look like.
Like Rick said whatever your doing keep it up great job Andy just wonderful !

Thanks!

Devv said:
Just spectacular Andy! See, all the work does pay off ;)

Keep it green my friend!

Thank you!  Yeah, it's been a solid year

alkhall said:
Looking good!

Thank you

moruga welder said:
Thumbs up !  all is good !   nice little coop  :dance:

Thanks!

Trident chilli said:
Andy how about an update my friend .... just wondered how the Black River bonnets turned out

This summer has been too busy.  Sorry I've been away so long.  

The Black River Bonnets turned out to be nice looking Scotch bonnets.  Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of one yet.  Yeah, I know, my bad.  Every time I get one and set it aside, I have too many things going on to get a good picture, then it gets put in with my other bonnets and I loose track.  

But it's been a good growing season - here's some pics

Here is a harvest from the first week of September:
20160905_230452.jpg

And here is my harvest from tonight - my big harvest for the year:
2016-10-02_4825.jpg

Another angle:
2016-10-02_4834.jpg

A group of various scotch Bonnets:
2016-10-02_4833.jpg

Some peach ghost peppers (pepperlover):
2016-10-02_4832.jpg

Some Coyote Zan White (pepperlover):
2016-10-02_4831.jpg

Aji Fantasy (Buckeye Pepper) - these are amazing tasting peppers, by the way
2016-10-02_4837.jpg

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover)
2016-10-02_4830.jpg

Carolina Reaper
2016-10-02_4829.jpg

Finally, a Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Buckeye Pepper)
2016-10-02_4828.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Truly awesome, Andy!  Great variety of strains and pod types, alright.
Your effort and planning have really paid off, my friend.  Keep up the
good work.

moruga welder said:
It all looks great ! nice to see such a big haul .      :onfire:

Thank you! 

Trident chilli said:
Awesome harvest Andy so many colours and different shaped pods ... now that your thoughts are towards next season are any of the varieties grown this season keepers

I'm still thinking through that.  I really did like the NeBru7's you sent.  They are a very nice pepper.  I also want to figure out if I have seed for the Yellow NagaBrains from Romy.  They are pretty hot, but what a very cool looking pod.  Oh, I think also the Aji Fantasy are a great pepper.

PaulG said:
Truly awesome, Andy!  Great variety of strains and pod types, alright.
Your effort and planning have really paid off, my friend.  Keep up the
good work.

Thank you! It's been quite a journey in this new place to get a harvest like this.

Pulpiteer said:

dehydrate, freeze for using to infuse with jams and maple syrup, making some hot sauce, and man I don't even know...  :surprised:

Thanks!

Thank you!  Yeah, it's been a solid year

Thank you

Thanks!

This summer has been too busy.  Sorry I've been away so long.  

The Black River Bonnets turned out to be nice looking Scotch bonnets.  Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of one yet.  Yeah, I know, my bad.  Every time I get one and set it aside, I have too many things going on to get a good picture, then it gets put in with my other bonnets and I loose track.  

But it's been a good growing season - here's some pics

Here is a harvest from the first week of September:
20160905_230452.jpg

And here is my harvest from tonight - my big harvest for the year:
2016-10-02_4825.jpg

Another angle:
2016-10-02_4834.jpg

A group of various scotch Bonnets:
2016-10-02_4833.jpg

Some peach ghost peppers (pepperlover):
2016-10-02_4832.jpg

Some Coyote Zan White (pepperlover):
2016-10-02_4831.jpg

Aji Fantasy (Buckeye Pepper) - these are amazing tasting peppers, by the way
2016-10-02_4837.jpg

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover)
2016-10-02_4830.jpg

Carolina Reaper
2016-10-02_4829.jpg

Finally, a Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Buckeye Pepper)
2016-10-02_4828.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Extremely nice money shots Andy, it looks like you've had a really bounteous season! Hopefully next year will work out as well as this one did. Cheers!

Man, I've been a bum on this site this year...

Just so busy.

But a great year.  

stickman said:
Extremely nice money shots Andy, it looks like you've had a really bounteous season! Hopefully next year will work out as well as this one did. Cheers!

Thank you - it's been a great year!  tons of extra work with processing, freezing, and dehydrating. 

Devv said:
Wow Andy!

Simply fantastic haul!

I want to see that again next year ;)

Thank you - not sure how next year will turn out... not sure if I could take another year of that big a harvest - what a problem, I know.  I keep telling myself I'll do fewer plants next year.

charlesquik said:
Wow you are not joking around aren't you! Such a nice harvest

Now you need to process all those pods :) I don't even think I have enough space in my freezer for all of this (joy of living in appartement)

It went really well this year.  I've got tons of dehydrated pods, and tons in the freezer to make into sauce.  

Ok, it's winding down.  Not only was it a very hot season, but also it's been a long one.  It wasn't until October 30 that we had a frost that killed the better part of my plants.  That's really late up here.  I still have some pepper hanging on, and actually made poppers tonight from some I just picked - jalapenos, cherry bombs, bishops crowns.

I'm closing things down though.  Here are some pics from a few weeks ago

Just a few weeks ago, still had some green leaves...
20161021_174836-768x432.jpg

I pulled out 5 plants to overwinter. Once again, I followed a pretty rigorous process I learned from Pic1. Strip them all the way down. Dunk 30 seconds in a light dishsoap water, 30 seconds in a light bleach water, then in fresh dirt, soak with water, then spray with an organic pesticide/fungacide. After that I cover them with a garbage bag and leave them setting in the garage for 2 weeks. I just pulled these out today, actually, and put them in the basement under the grow lights where they'll come back to live, free from bugs and whatnot (hopefully)
20161021_164921-768x432.jpg

20161021_164928-768x432.jpg

You've really got to clean them up. If they get pests inside, it's a pain and very tough to overcome. And when I have baby plants in there later, I don't want to risk them spreading anything, so if they aren't clean or an aphid shows up, they get tossed.

Some more harvests

20161021_193506-768x432.jpg

Ghosts (red and peach)
20161022_092853-768x432.jpg

Uruguay Seasoning
20161022_092858-768x432.jpg

Superhots in the dehydrator
20161024_192240-768x432.jpg

I had to buy a second dehydrator and I've got brown paper bags (lunch bag size) 1/2 full of dehydrated pods all sitting and waiting for me to grind them into powder. I am dreading doing that, as it is painful. There is no way around it. It's going to hurt when I do it.

I had a week off a few weeks back - and quickly threw together this pallet raised bed. I just cut two pallets in half with the circular saw I just got this summer, and screwed them together with my new cordless drill. The whole pepper gardening and chicken keeping thing has pushed me to learn, which has been cool. Anyway, this stuff if really simple, so if you're looking for a raised bed, this design is cheap and easy if you have the tools.

20161021_174850-768x432.jpg

Finally, two of the chicks we bought earlier in the year, turned out to be roosters. We gave one away, and kept the pretty one, who happens to also be pretty laid back thus far. I've already explained to the kids, if he attacks them, we eat him. He's been good.

20161021_175007-768x432.jpg

Alright - thanks for stopping by. Sorry I haven't been on the glogs this year. Life has been too crazy.

Back