• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Pulpiteer's grow log 2012

I thought I'd do a grow log this year, since I've enjoyed reading the ones that other folks do. I'm up in Michigan and last year was able to get the plants in the garden in mid-May, but that isn't a sure thing. I'm starting a bit early, but I want the plants to be a good size when I do get them in, so that I don't have to wait until later in the Fall to harvest. If we would've had an early frost last year, I would've been in trouble. The grow log puts a bit of pressure on. If this is a tremendous failure, then it'll be public. I've been gardening for awhile, and had great luck with my peppers last year, but I'm taking a giant step up this year, so we'll see.

Here is my grow list:
1. Douglah x4 Ajijoe
2. Scotch Bonnet (Y) x4 Pepperjoe.com
3. Cherry Bomb x4 Farmers market
4. Bhut Jolokia ® x4 Dshlogg
5. Trinidad Scorpion (Red)x6 Ajijoe
6. Trinidad Scropion (Peach) x6 Ajijoe
7. Chocolate Congo Habanero x6 Ajijoe
8. Caribbean Red Habanero x6 Ajijoe
9. Aji Pineapple x4 Ajijoe
10. Peach Bhut Jolokia x6 Ajijoe
11. Naga Morich x4 Dshlogg
12. Scotch Bonnet (Y)x8 Refining Fire
13. Jamaican Red Mushroom x8 Refining Fire
14. Jamaican Chocolate Habanero x8 Refining Fire
15. Thai Dragon x4 Dshlogg
16. 7 Pot (Yellow) x4 Masschilehead
17. Avery Island Tobasco x4 Masschilehead
18. Aji Limon x4 Dshlogg
19. Devil's Tongue x4 Dshlogg
20. Fatali x6 Totally Tomato
21. Red Rocoto x6 Totally Tomato
22. Scotch Bonnet (Red)x4 Hotstuff
23. Jalapeno x4 Dshlogg
24. Bell (various) x20 (I'll buy the plants in the spring)

This website has been tremendously helpful. After some contact with MJDiamond83, I ordered some CFL bulbs. They are 100 watt bulbs that put out the equivalent of 400 watts of light, 6500 on the light temperature, I believe. I get a shelving unit on sale last year from Lowes, some pvc this year from Menards and ordered some mylar emergency blankets off of Amazon (10 for $8) and put up a cheap frame that gives me two levels, with the CFL on top and some florescent strip lights on the bottom. With the lights on, it gets to about 84, and with them off its in the mid 70's. I hope that's enough to get the seeds to pop.

Here's a shot where you can see the three lights and the mylar around the three sides. For the front cover I just have a mylar sheet that drapes down and it's all basically enclosed.
growroom1.jpg

Here's a shot of everything planted. For the most part I have at least two seeds in each cell, sometimes a few more than that. I figure I can cut down if I have too many that germinate.
growroom2.jpg

Things are bushing out. Going to be interesting harvesting all that heat. Let the bishops crown get super ripe,the heat and flavor get way better. I have been eating a ton of those things. Very large plant.

Thanks for the advice on the bishops crown - I'm really excited about those. It is a large plant, and it's been a very sturdy one too. It's a fun one to grow.

Looking great man! Gonna have some color in a couple weeks I bet! Shane has a real winner with that powder, too! Glad he's spreading it around! Ha, next year we'll all be growing the Shane-zano!

"Shane-zano" nice! Copywrite that along with the yard yeti and we're all set.

Almost added this to my grow this year, but resisted the temptation. I'll be curious to hear how you find the taste...

I'll be sure to record it when I try one. I'm not the best taster in the world, but I'll do what I can. I watched Beaglestorm's review, but if I remember right the pod had some gunk in it. His reviews are always so detailed. He also handles very hot peppers with little problem.

Sweet update! That vid was classic! There is nothing as or cool as kids wantin to be like dad :) All your pods look great but im really loving the peach bhut shot. I just thing they are super cool. i wanna know what they taste like! Peaches?

Thanks Brit! Being a dad is pretty fun and getting them involved has been great. And yes, if my calculations are correct, those peach bhuts should taste exactly like peaches...

Giving up top of the next page by posting here...oh well! Finally got to watch the vid. Very fun stuff! My Jamaican Hot Yellow looks very similar to your Red "Mushrooms" and is REAL hot too! Definitely and Annuum, but you can taste some Chinense in the blood lines. Great peppers. Some of them are really good size too. Will be fun stuffers at a BBQ or great to add to food or salsas. Glad the whole fam is having fun with your grow...wish I could keep mine more interested. Can't wait for the next vid!
Shane

Let's see it I can still get a page topper!

Nope! Darn...will have to give it up.

The one I had in the video was labeled a red scotch bonnet, but as you pointed out it seems to be an annuum, so I'm guessing a Jamaican Hot Red? I do have the Jamaican Red Mushrooms and they are shaped just a bit different. Their tops are different, and they have been a very inconsistent plant for me as far as pod shape. Not as happy with them, but the Jamaican Hot Reds (if that's what they are) have been great. That pepper put a hurting on me by the way. Destroyed my stomach. My Jamaican Hot Yellows (that I thought were Scotch Bonnets) are getting huge btw, are your's big? I do think I have some actual Scotch bonnets too (I grew several varieties that were labeled that) - your clue on the stem has helped me a lot in trying to sort out the Annuums, so thanks!

Wow...this page topper is still sitting here??? I'll take it! Welcome to page 11!
:rofl: You're the page topping King!

My Jamaican Hots are quickly becomming one of my favorites. I have two of them going. My inground plant took a little longer to start setting fruit, but got quite a bit larger. They are both LOADED with crazy #'s of pods. Their first few pods were smallish, but I have some on there that look like small bell peppers. The flavor is unbelievable, a sweet heat that rivals the level of an Orange Habanero with only a tiny hint of Chinense flavor mixed into their Annuum sweetness. Will be a fun one to experiment with in the kitchen, on the grill and in powders.

I've had peppers coming in little by little and had to figure out something to do with some of them, so tonight I decided "poppers!" I have a few sweet peppers that were good for stuffing, but not many hots for it yet. Here's a shot of most of them. They are chocolate cherry sweets, a manzano from Shane, and a small cherry bomb. Not pictured here are some sweet, long, red peppers that were supposed to be chocolate cherry but weren't. They taste good though, so they made the cut:

prepoppers.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, in the upper right hand corner of the cutting board is a mostly ripe peach bhut. We'll come back to that later. I took the peppers, seeded them, mixed some softened cream cheese with a few herbs, cooked some bacon just a little then wrapped them and threw them on the grill. Here is what came out:

poppers.jpg

They were wonderful! The manzano and cherry bomb were both excellent. They are both thick walled and very good flavored peppers with some heat that are wonderful for this sort of thing. Plus bacon. What else do you need?

So, since I had the peach bhut I thought I'd try a nibble. I cut it in half lengthwise, then bit off the bottom of one half. I've heard good things about the flavor of this pepper, and I'll say up front that I'm not the biggest fan of the red ghost except in burgers where they are wonderful. This pepper was amazing. Great flavor, very sweet without the tartness that I get from the aji lemon with it's fruitiness. I really liked it. And it sat well. Then built a little. Then a little more. And more. After a while it hurt. I drank milk. I ate some ice cream. You know how it's sometimes worse when you've let your guard down? Yeah, that was it. I'll have to do a bigger one on video later, but first impressions were great.

Finally - I'm drying some seeds from the chocolate cherry sweet peppers. As you can see from the pics they are like mini bells. The plants were not isolated, but they bloomed prior to others around them, so I feel pretty safe about them. In fact, I'm taking my seed stock from these I just pulled. They are very good tasting peppers.

So, if anyone is interested I can give some seeds away, and I wanted to give my glog readers first shot. I can probably give away 5 sets of 10. Just post here and PM me.

Thanks for checking out the g-log!

Save me some seeds for those...but I'm going to wait on my seed collecting until later in the season. Love the poppers! The manzanos are a great one to stuff. I like to stuff them with cheese, rice and a meat of some sort leave a little head room then put a couple spoonfuls of cornbread batter on top.

Mmm, stuffed Manzano, great cookin', Andy! I had a Manzano last year, and it was HOT! If I get some poddage from it, I may end up stuffing it/them. It was not one that was as good just by itself, but I can definitely see it as a relleno!

Save me some seeds for those...but I'm going to wait on my seed collecting until later in the season. Love the poppers! The manzanos are a great one to stuff. I like to stuff them with cheese, rice and a meat of some sort leave a little head room then put a couple spoonfuls of cornbread batter on top.

Great idea, stc. That sounds delicious!

You got it. Cornbread batter... yum... yeah, manzanos are simply wonderful I think.

Mmm, stuffed Manzano, great cookin', Andy! I had a Manzano last year, and it was HOT! If I get some poddage from it, I may end up stuffing it/them. It was not one that was as good just by itself, but I can definitely see it as a relleno!

Great idea, stc. That sounds delicious!

Thanks Karl, it tasted wonderful!

And speaking of rellenos...

I decided to try some poblanos since pepperjoe threw them in for free with my seed order this year. Here are my first 5:

poblanos.jpg

I followed a recipe online (I think on ehow.com) for making rellenos and here is how they turned out:

rellenos.jpg

Finally, I harvested my first fatalii on Saturday. I did a little taste test last night.
It was very hot, a light taste, habaneroish, very hot.
I was inspired by some of the stuff on MGOLD's glog, so I did pull out the salmon, and I did bring a list of topics for discussion. I planned on the delivery of the discussion questions going better, but to be honest with you, I have a hard time talking when my throat hurts really bad.

Alright, thanks for checking this stuff out!

Super funny...loved the spoof on my wardrobe and Matt's video. Was trying not to laugh too loud since its 0400 here and everyone else is sleeping. Too bad because it could have been really "fun" opening up the dialog you suggested with someone! Keep it up brother.

Ah man great video! But why is it starting to look like a breast cancer awareness campaign on this site. As far as im concerned thats the only reason for a men to try and wear something "salmon". Great vid though. Fitallis are one of my fav peppers. My seeds all failed this year so ill be giving them another go next year. Keep posting those vids!

"Taste like burning" made me laugh really loud, not at you though.

Thanks - I think that's from Ralph on the Simpsons, if I remember correctly. It was an accurate way to describe the experience.

very nice. great looking chiles.

Thank you - and thanks for checking out the glog. How are your Illini going to do this year with the new coach?

Nice update Andy,I cant wait to see a pic of a larger peach bhut. Possible addition for next year if the flavor is like you say.

Thanks! I've got some large peach bhuts that are starting to blush now, so it shouldn't be long. I was very surprised by the flavor, so hopefully it holds for the larger ones. If you want I can try to send you some seeds - they're open pollinated. I may try to isolate some flowers using a part of a drinking straw. We'll see. Anyway, if you're interested let me know.

Super funny...loved the spoof on my wardrobe and Matt's video. Was trying not to laugh too loud since its 0400 here and everyone else is sleeping. Too bad because it could have been really "fun" opening up the dialog you suggested with someone! Keep it up brother.

Thanks Shane, glad you found it funny! Yeah, I was hoping that conversation would come across as uncomfortable as I was feeling.

Ah man great video! But why is it starting to look like a breast cancer awareness campaign on this site. As far as im concerned thats the only reason for a men to try and wear something "salmon". Great vid though. Fitallis are one of my fav peppers. My seeds all failed this year so ill be giving them another go next year. Keep posting those vids!

:rofl: I think it's because THP is a site with a big heart so we're raising awareness for breast cancer and for men comfortable in pink. I had to borrow my daughter's bandanna for the video, I thought it added a nice touch! I pulled some seeds from that pod in the video - would they make it through to Switzerland? If you're interested let me know.

Great job on the Fatali, Andy, those are mean! Not the hottest, but definitely hotter by quite a bit over the regular Habaneros. I ate a huge one last fall, after eating too much pizza, and the pain was so intense in my stomach that I had to make myself throw up. Flavor is outstanding, one of my favorites, and the burn is great, too!

Hey brother Andy:)

Love the poppers. They are making me hungry :party:

The video was very funny. I love it when you started asking questions. And since your business venture in not one of those pyramid thingy ma jiggies, count me in ;)

Looked like that fatalli got ya good :fireball:

Hey, Andy; long time between visits, My apologies. First, I'm sorry that you
had a string of unfortunate events in your congregation. That has to be hard,
but they are lucky to have a mellow, easy going pastor like yourself. I think Seth(?)
had it right; our society seems to have a funny view of death in general. We glorify
war and violence, but want it sanitized so we don't really feel the pain and suffering.
Same is true in the civil society. Death is sort of a hushed affair. I like the Klingon
ritual - the one where Warf screams to the heavens that his dead warrior friend is
coming, so they better be warned!

Your grow is just awesome. You have to have some of the cutest kids in Michigan
right there in your garden. The tandem pepper review was too much - how fun! I am
impressed by your super hots, mine don't even have pods like that on them yet.

I really enjoy your glog, Andy. Lots of great stuff and always interesting to peruse!
I hope your garden is even more robust now, and that the peppers are changing
colors as we speak! Good growin', my friend!

Hey Thanks for the offer andy! But there are a few guys over here growing them this year and i will get some seeds from one of them just for the sake of ease. And i think its great this site is so caring and comfortable with itself that "pink is the new black".

Great job on the Fatali, Andy, those are mean! Not the hottest, but definitely hotter by quite a bit over the regular Habaneros. I ate a huge one last fall, after eating too much pizza, and the pain was so intense in my stomach that I had to make myself throw up. Flavor is outstanding, one of my favorites, and the burn is great, too!

Thanks Karl. I was surprised at how much it hit my stomach. Not a superhot, but a powerful pepper nonetheless!

Hey brother Andy:)

Love the poppers. They are making me hungry :party:

The video was very funny. I love it when you started asking questions. And since your business venture in not one of those pyramid thingy ma jiggies, count me in ;)

Looked like that fatalli got ya good :fireball:

Thanks Jamie, glad you enjoyed the humor, and I'm glad to count you in on my business venture! :) Yeah the fatalii got me pretty good and it hit me right away too. It's a good pepper though, I love the plants and the pods are such a cool looking pod.

Hey, Andy; long time between visits, My apologies. First, I'm sorry that you
had a string of unfortunate events in your congregation. That has to be hard,
but they are lucky to have a mellow, easy going pastor like yourself. I think Seth(?)
had it right; our society seems to have a funny view of death in general. We glorify
war and violence, but want it sanitized so we don't really feel the pain and suffering.
Same is true in the civil society. Death is sort of a hushed affair. I like the Klingon
ritual - the one where Warf screams to the heavens that his dead warrior friend is
coming, so they better be warned!

Your grow is just awesome. You have to have some of the cutest kids in Michigan
right there in your garden. The tandem pepper review was too much - how fun! I am
impressed by your super hots, mine don't even have pods like that on them yet.

I really enjoy your glog, Andy. Lots of great stuff and always interesting to peruse!
I hope your garden is even more robust now, and that the peppers are changing
colors as we speak! Good growin', my friend!

Glad to have you back Paul! You are very right in your observation of our society's glorifying violence and sanitizing the whole thing. I'm not a Star Trek guy, but I like what you've described there. I think rituals can be really helpful in creating space for us to grieve. It would be useful for us to have it be socially acceptable to wail and mourn for awhile. Anyways, thanks for your sympathy. One of the people who died was a 22 year old due to an accident. Makes no sense and it's heartbreaking. I just try to give the family space to cry and talk. Personally, stuff like this has taught me to do my best to soak up every good moment I can because nothing is guaranteed. So I love the whole fatherhood thing! And thanks for complimenting my kids - I certainly think they're just about the cutest! It's been great to have them involved in growing stuff. They're a lot of fun.

Thanks for checking out the glog Paul - you're such a great member of this THP community!

Hey Thanks for the offer andy! But there are a few guys over here growing them this year and i will get some seeds from one of them just for the sake of ease. And i think its great this site is so caring and comfortable with itself that "pink is the new black".

No problem Brit! Yes pink is the new black, but only until Matt tells us different :lol:

Pulpiteer your glog is amazing had to take a step back to check out the plants and pods they look awesome. Great review on the fatalii one of my favorite peppers so versatile in what you can do with it.

Pulpiteer your glog is amazing had to take a step back to check out the plants and pods they look awesome. Great review on the fatalii one of my favorite peppers so versatile in what you can do with it.

Thank you very much Socal - glad you checked it out. It's been a fun season for sure and I've been fortunate!

Back