• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple Black Naga Plant

So I grew 5 Black Naga plants this year. 3 were green plants, brown pods. 1 was green plant, red pods. 1 was a purple plant with pods that go from green to purple to a light brown.  Which of these are growing true. Pictures of the Purple plant with brownish pods.

WP_20130806_17_37_43_Pro_zpsabfdfa0f.jpg

WP_20130806_17_37_52_Pro_zps4e3f6fea.jpg

WP_20130806_17_38_02_Pro_zps1c9512a7.jpg

proof of variation within a theme,the purple one im almost sure is a mutation(THE PURPLE ONE), but the red one may or may not be a mutation and may or may not be a cross, because red tends to be a dominant gene color and is present within all chocolate and other color peppers as well and the red gene can become dominant at any given time

my friend has noticed this with Congo chocolate Habs that i think where isolated,some plants exhibited red pods

that purple one is a beautiful plant and deserves to have seed saved from it for future generations, im sure there may even be a few on here that would be interested in some if you where willing to part with them

thanks your friend Joe

the purple looks like possibly suntan. most superhots have purple in the stems and will get a purpleish suntan where it's not protected from the sun by the leaves

then again you could have a cross. i'd have to see closer probably to tell you with any certainty. all 3 pics look like the same plant to me. 

The pictures are all of just the purple plant. Sorry, didn't specify that haha.   I am most def saving seeds from the purple plant and would be more than willing to share so if anyone is interested. And you can def tell it is from a mutation, I've had the plant in 50/50 sun/shade most of the year so i don't think its from suntan.

Most of my plants are in 5gal fab pots. 4 of my larger 2nd years are in 20 gals.

jedisushi06 said:
Looks like one of my naga morich plants is turning purple?  It's in half sun half shade.

I'm inclined to call it suntan.  My Naga Morich is showing the same spots on the pods, but they still ripen to red.

compmodder26 said:

I'm inclined to call it suntan.  My Naga Morich is showing the same spots on the pods, but they still ripen to red.
yes on the pods but that does not explain why theres one with purple leave and the other two are green

anyone else have any ideas?? im not a pro so im stumped

thanks your friend Joe

Back