• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple Cayennes

Hopefully i put this in the right place. I got some mixed cayenne seeds from trade winds and grew several of them out last year and they all turned out red which is fine.  This year i grew some out and one of them turned out to be a purple cayenne which is a very cool looking plant/pepper.  Anyway i decided to soak some of those (and some red ones in a separate jar) in vinegar, pink salt, and garlic in a jar to make my wife a franks style sauce which calls for aged peppers. i did this last year with red ones and it came out pretty good. I looked at them a few days ago and the peppers had turned green and the vinegar was purplish. I just thought it was kind of weird and i was just wondering if it was the garlic or what would cause this? It's not a big deal just curious if anyone else had experienced something similar. 

Purple vegetables tend to lose their color when subjected to heat. Even dehydrating chiero roxa and CGN21500 on low heat causes the purple to change into a clear/tan color - can't make purple powder without some kind of die. I believe the purple pigments are very delicate and only exist in their raw state. I'm not sure about vinegar, but imagine the liquid and acidity are washing out the pigments.

hottoddy said:
Purple vegetables tend to lose their color when subjected to heat. Even dehydrating chiero roxa and CGN21500 on low heat causes the purple to change into a clear/tan color - can't make purple powder without some kind of die. I believe the purple pigments are very delicate and only exist in their raw state. I'm not sure about vinegar, but imagine the liquid and acidity are washing out the pigments.
That makes sense and would explain it. Thanks for the reply.

Back