• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple genetics in peppers

Where do they come from?
Which landraces, if any carried the genes for purple fruit and foliage?
Which species?
Of modern varieties which are used most for breeding?
It appears most frequently in annuums, but also in some chinenses, such as Roxas types.

What's the progenitor?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Pimente de Neyde is popular for breeding because it carries genetics for anthocyanin, modifier of anthocyanin, and anthocyanin retainer and has antho in the foliage, pods, and flower petals.  It's also at the low-end of the sulfury-white swn alleleic series for chlorophyll presence in the pods, so when the recessive anthocyanin retainer allele isn't present or doesn't manifest you can end up with ivory/white pods at maturity.

CaneDog said:
Pimente de Neyde is popular for breeding because it carries genetics for anthocyanin, modifier of anthocyanin, and anthocyanin retainer and has antho in the foliage, pods, and flower petals.  It's also at the low-end of the sulfury-white swn alleleic series for chlorophyll presence in the pods, so when the recessive anthocyanin retainer allele isn't present or doesn't manifest you can end up with ivory/white pods at maturity.
Has PDN been linked to a landrace? Where'd the purple genes come from?

CaneDog said:
Not that he knows what hes talking about or anything.

thegreenman said:
Has PDN been linked to a landrace? Where'd the purple genes come fro - I didn't 

Nope, I don't think so - I was thinking separate from land-race on this one as just the most used and PdN has a lot going on. 

It is interesting to think back to where the purple traits came from, as they've been moved around a lot, since.

I do not know the genesis of the purple genes and I think we'd all be guessing but this could turn into an interesting topic.

This is going off of memory,and a bit foggy at that. The PDN was a spontaneous plant that grew in Neyde Hidalgo's garden. I think this was even before pimentas.org was even conceived. She shared many seeds during that time and the subsequent whoring of it took place. Secco made one of the first hybrids with it that I can remember-the Pimenta Tiger.

thegreenman said:
Has PDN been linked to a landrace? Where'd the purple genes come from?

I have a 90s era Dewitt Pepper book, I'll look through that for varieties with purple. Really need to find some early botany books on the subject of solanaceae and capsicums to find the earliest listings of purple fruit and foliage.

I'm guessing the really dark purple we see in capsicum annuum and hybrids is from intentional breeding for aesthetics. You can see mild purpling in wild species such as tepins. I've also seen it in other wild species such as capsicum praetermissum and maybe a few others I don't recall. I use the PDN to breed purple capsicum chinese dominate peppers. So far I've been able to develop flavorful capsicum chinese dominate peppers with pretty good heat with dark purple foliage and fruit. From what I heard way back is the PDN it was an accidental cross between a capsicum chinese and ornamental capsicum annuum.

I did some sleuthing and I see two older chinense listings that have purple coloring, Cajamarca and USDA PI 152225, which are both from Peru, but both look like they contain some annuum traits.
I'm betting all the purple is inherited through annuum.

Dulac said:
From what I heard way back is the PDN it was an accidental cross between a capsicum chinese and ornamental capsicum annuum.
The only thing that we know for certain is that it was a spontaneous plant in Neyde's yard. She wasn't even growing peppers at this point in time,it was her inspiration to start.

It could very well be a cross between C.chinense and C.annuum. I would not bet against that.

The taxonomy of the Pdn flowers also tells there's some annum traits on it
But what was the first purple annum if this was the donor of purplish to Chinnese?
I mean, it's supposed to be dominat the purple coloring but I'm sure it was at first a recesive trait, developed by human selection and making it dominant, just like fish

Delphinidin occurs in Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum and it's presence in the Solanaceae is synapomorphic.

Thus as a trait it is ancestral.

However since it is ancestral we can view it in terms of alleles, in this we can introduce alleles for increased Delphinidin expression to lines lacking them.

The best source of those alleles is both subjective and based upon the breeding goals of those performing the cross.

Back