• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple Leaf Varieties

So I had never really been too into wilds and ornamental plants because I've always grown my plants to eat. I was wondering what strains out there, if any, have both purple foliage and great tasting pods. It seems like most ornamental varieties are definitely more for looks than taste and I'm curious as to any exceptions to this rule.

I found Black Prince to be "okay" tasting... they're fairly hot but kind of bitter. "great" would definitely be exaggerating. There's a picture of one here: http://www.thehotpep...growing-update/

There is a black pequin pepper that might taste better. Some sites list it as ornamental, others say it's used for drying like red pequin peppers.

I have two purple bhuts growing. They are pretty.

100_0352-2.jpg

Cool. I heard the opposite about the black pearl/prince strains; that they were mostly yucky as far as flavor goes. I think I'll have to give the Purple Bhut a shot next year after watching Beaglestorms review. The only purpleish strain I'm growing this year is the CGN 21500 which has purple hues to the leaves but isn't quite as purple as most other strains.

I have some Pretty Purple Peppers growing now, they have purpleish/green leaves, it's a pretty cool looking plant, but the pods are growing on them now, they start out I think as purple, then yellow maybe then red, I forget, they are on Tomatogrowers.com but I will let you know how they taste once they ripen up!

Cool. I heard the opposite about the black pearl/prince strains; that they were mostly yucky as far as flavor goes. I think I'll have to give the Purple Bhut a shot next year after watching Beaglestorms review. The only purpleish strain I'm growing this year is the CGN 21500 which has purple hues to the leaves but isn't quite as purple as most other strains.
Well like I said I have yet to taste them and I just went off of what one person said soooo, ill let you know in a few months lol

I'm growing purple bhuts for the first time as well. I've seen pictures of pods, and they don't really look like bhuts. As far as shape and texture, they look like orange habs, maybe slightly more elongated. They are purple before they ultimately ripen to red. I've also heard very mixed reviews on flavor. I'm sure there are a few versions of purple bhuts, but that's what I've seen/heard so far.

The plants are very cool though. They definitely have c.chinense growth patterns so far
1801trays004.jpg

Cool. Any idea what it's crossed with? Where did you get the seeds. I didn't know there was a purple bhut.

I have no idea what it is crossed with, and I am almost afraid to say where I got the seeds... Sterling Kaiser sent them to me a couple years ago.

Here's a nice review for the Purple Bhut from our very own:
He has a way of making me want to taste every pod he tries.

One that I wish I picked up this year because of the pretty purple foliage is pimenta da neyde. If anyone has seeds of it, I'd like to trade seeds..

pic:

neyde.jpg

Back