• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple Leafed 7-Pot?

One of the 7-pot long's I'm growing (pepperlover seed) has dark purple foliage.  Not just a spot here and there, or new leaves, etc., but the entire plant.  While I had assumed the parent had picked up some donor pollen from a pimenta, purple bhut, or something else, do peppers ever just throw a purple-leafed offspring via random gene mutation or expression?  

In working with tomatoes I've seen some wild, totally unexpected traits seem to materialize out of nowhere and assumed peppers have the ability to do the same thing, especially with so much crossing of varieties among hobby growers - recessive genes of all types must be bouncing around inside these things.

Anyone ever see purple foliage when an accidental cross wasn't a possibility?

Nope - it's not sunburn.....this thing was purple as purple could be from the first true leaves on, and it's brother in the same pot looks completely normal.  I'm not saying the anthocyanin gene isn't expressing itself in response to sunlight - it's almost always triggerred by sun or cold - just that it's genetically different than the others grown from the same seed stock.  

I'd post a pic but I was pulling my hair out the first time I tried to on this site and told myself never again.  Just picture a pimenta de neyde - that's what it looks like, exactly.

I sure hope its a cross or a natural purple 7 pot mutation and the thing doesn't grow up to actually be a pimenta!

Ya won't know till podding.
I have 2 Bolivian Rainbows out of the same seed pack.
1 has purple-ish leaves with purple flowers and purple pods.(starting purple---will change)
The other is green, with white flowers and white/yellow pods with purple patches.

Back