• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Purple leaves - Good or Bad?

Ok. just checked some older topics, but seems like there are different points of view.

Some of my seedlings have purple leaves.

Is that because of strong lights (sun tan) or is that because of inefficient lights?

Anyway, is something i have to worry about?

see an example (purple stem and purplish leaves)

aceituno.jpg

thanks in advance for your help.

In my experience, purple stems are a result from the light. I'm sure that there's a biological explanation, but it hasn't harmed my seedlings yet.

I don't know about the purple leaves. I've seen some pictures from other grow logs, and it seems relatively common. I think that it's likely a biological trait, but hopefully some more seasoned grower has a better explanation.

As said...sun tan fits the discription. Bulbs or lamps with a cooler color temperature will cause this variegation more often with young seedlings. As the plant developes this will become less noticable due to the wax coating which the leaves produce for protection.

Half all my seedlings and there steams are a very deep purple. I've heard that cooler growing conditions can cause it and I think that it the cause in my case.

Same here... All of my 3 week old's have purple stems and slightly purple leaves. They are under a 4 bulb 2ft T5 with 6500K bulbs in em....

Back