• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pusa Jwala not turning red

Hi all! We are about to have our first hard freeze tonight and was wondering if I should bother to protect my Pusa Jwalas or not and just pick the green peppers. The plants have been loaded with green peppers about 4-5 inches long since the beginning of November and they refuse to turn red. I am a newbie grower and wonder if they are not turning red because of the cold temps or I just have a green variety.

All my habs, congos, and scotch bonnets are turning from green to red, orange, brown but not the Jwalas. Any thoughts? :think:

Thanks,
Matt

i have 2 jwala and both pods seemed to take for ever to ripen, even after bringing them indoors for the winter. some pods i had to clip off in the green/brownish state as the pods started going soft and would have rotted on the plant.

not really sure the best way to ripen pods on the plant faster, perhaps the ol' ripe banana at the base of the plant trick may help.

good luck

Were you going to use them for dry pods or powder? If not, they are way better green anyway! Soon after ripening they become too thin fleshed to use fresh. I believe these are used best as green chile or red powder. Green pods freeze well for later use too.

Back