Putting Nutrition and Taste into our Peppers

MadDog said:
 I didn't say large "quantities", I said large "number" as in variety.
I love twinkies, but haven't had one in a while. just got a wierd idea to squish a twinkie into a pudgie pie maker and toast it over a campfire...
That large "number" of nutients and amino acids is present in just about everything living...because they are essential for life, metabolism, and protein construction.

Myxlplyk said:

Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium are the biggest. Those are essential for any plant, so I don't see why they're a problem. Chromium at .93 mg... that seems high for such an obscure metal.

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about biology, chemistry, etc. to make an educated rebuttal about this. I'm guessing that maybe there was more Chromium present than normal in the medium that the sample was grown in. Tests have been done and plants are presently used to aid in leeching bad things out of soil in clean up efforts. So it would seem logical that we could use this knowledge to our benefit and give our peppers good things to leech up instead.

Malarky said:
That large "number" of nutients and amino acids is present in just about everything living...because they are essential for life, metabolism, and protein construction.

Yes, and it has been proven by the pointy heads that they have been consistently diminishing in western culture's soil and produce, the animals that eat them, and consequently us. This is due to modern corporate farming methods. We no longer leave crops fallow on the seventh year as instructed in the Bible. To each his own, some don't care, some do.

MadDog said:

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about biology, chemistry, etc. to make an educated rebuttal about this. I'm guessing that maybe there was more Chromium present than normal in the medium that the sample was grown in. Tests have been done and plants are presently used to aid in leeching bad things out of soil in clean up efforts. So it would seem logical that we could use this knowledge to our benefit and give our peppers good things to leech up instead.
and buy dried saltwater to salt your soil with...
I'm done here but i'll read more later if this continues

Another thing you can do to improve taste, is to flush the plants with straight water about a week or two before harvesting pods, to flush the nutes. Hope this helps, cheers!

MadDog said:

This is due to modern corporate farming methods. We no longer leave crops fallow on the seventh year as instructed in the Bible. To each his own, some don't care, some do.

I think the reduced nutritional value of food has more to do with the faster maturing varieties being grown than it does straying from biblical teachings.
     Either way, I'm certain that salting gardens and cropland isn't the solution. If adding NaCl to soil improved fruit and veggie nutrition in this guy's experiments, he's just not being forthcoming about his product or methods. Or he's some kind of a wizard.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I think the reduced nutritional value of food has more to do with the faster maturing varieties being grown than it does straying from biblical teachings.
     Either way, I'm certain that salting gardens and cropland isn't the solution. If adding NaCl to soil improved fruit and veggie nutrition in this guy's experiments, he's just not being forthcoming about his product or methods. Or he's some kind of a wizard.

C'mon man don't you know? The first pepper varieties GREW in the sand, a few feet from the edge of the ocean, where it had access to the MOST saltwater possible! But Big-Ferta realized they could profit off them, so they genetically modified them to grow in the dirt so they could sell us NPK ferts. 

solid7 said:
But who can really quantify that? I'm all for organics, but I'm not really on board with the whole "high brix" thing yet, as it's still pretty unsubstantiated. Organics isn't just about white folks with dredlocks, paying too much for hip sounding veggies. It's about actually learning the science of growing, rather than just trusting somebody to tell you what to add, and when.

solid7, sorry I missed your post earlier, all of your points are well taken. I don't know that I buy into the latest brix = nutrition theory myself, but high brix no question indicates high sugar in grapes and has been used for hundreds of years by wineries.

solid7 said:
No offense, but when you put up a topic that reeks of behind the scenes kickbacks, and makes unorthodox claims, you have to accept a fair amount of skepticism. All things being fair, you invited the conversation, so you can't really make a stink about what you get. No expectations = no disappointment. From your counters, I'd say you were expecting a bit more validation than what you've received.

You know that people are always going to be people, so allow for it in your dialogue. If this product is what you claim it to be, it will stand on its own, despite the skeptics.

A couple of responses here, I laughed when I typed the first post, thinking to myself... wow these guys are going to think I work for these people. So the accusations are reasonable, it's just that after addressing it once or twice I find it sufficiently answered. As far as validation, you couldn't be more wrong, just trying to share something I thought looked interesting. I've already stated I'll be the guinea pig here, and I don't need anyone's permission or opinion to decide to do so. Also, I'm not "claiming" anything about this product. I've only started using it and will gladly share my thoughts on it later, whether it fries my pods, or enlightens them with magical pixie dust.

Voodoo 6 said:
Another thing you can do to improve taste, is to flush the plants with straight water about a week or two before harvesting pods, to flush the nutes. Hope this helps, cheers!

Voodoo 6, once again helpful information to know. Thanks! I just had to replace my drinking water safe hose (only lasted one season). I've been using this one last couple of weeks and loving it, it's super light and much easier to reel up. Pricey but if it lasts it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree, the US Dept of Agriculture has tested the same varieties over the decades, and they have consistently lost nutrients, the UK has also done tests (actually they were the first I think) and their results were the same. I can't speak to whether Murray was a wizard or not, but his "strange magic" has spawned an entire subsector in the fert industry.

peppamang said:

C'mon man don't you know? The first pepper varieties GREW in the sand, a few feet from the edge of the ocean, where it had access to the MOST saltwater possible! But Big-Ferta realized they could profit off them, so they genetically modified them to grow in the dirt so they could sell us NPK ferts. 

Or maybe a few scientifically minded folks played around and figured out that NPK works in a way that yields more produce and money. This spawned an industry, doesn't mean it can't be improved on.

Voodoo 6 said:
Holy shit! you spent 73 bucks on a garden hose??? That thing better come with a usb interface which links into skynet.

73 dollar hose: I am a garden hose must interface with the W.O.P.R computer via sattelite, we must find Sara Connor.

Well sure, when you put it like that it sounds crazy, lmfao (it was only $100 with shipping). But it goes to 11 and it's see through so it's sexy. Also it has a 10 year warranty and last summer I paid $45 for this POS that lasted less than 12 months. But guys like me can afford it because remember "I sell sea salts by the sea shore".

I am not even going to break down the price of see thru plastic matey. to each his own, the Irish will give ya a 10 year warranty on a shoe, and then set some c4 in the soles as we say. It sounds crazy all around. The only thing that matters is that you feel happy. Cheers!

Yeah, we rednecks call it a bumper warranty. It's good for as long as you can see my rear bumper while I'm speeding off. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

I consider myself a redneck even though I am a Latino / brown colored guy ehehe, living in New Mexico..but born in TEXAS. Kinda ironic don't ya think ehehe

Holy shit! you spent 73 bucks on a garden hose??? That thing better come with a usb interface which links into skynet.

73 dollar hose: I am a garden hose must interface with the W.O.P.R computer via sattelite, we must find Sara Connor.
I'll happily spend $73 on a hose, if it will last through more than 2 seasons in Florida sun.

In fact, my last hose was a 50' contractor model, that's got about 3/8" wall thickness. Worth every penny.

They do, it's called "lead". If you don't buy a hose that says "potable" or "drinking water safe" then it has lead in it, which is almost all hoses. This means your watering your plants with lead and they are absorbing it. The manufacturers do it because it makes them strong and last longer.

The $45 "contractors" hose I bought didn't last a year because it was drinking water safe. That's why I opted this time around for the "Skynet" hose. It's a completely different material and hopefully will last several years.

Now consider this, it's known that lead leaches from the hose to the soil to the plant. So it stands to reason that sea minerals will do the same. The question is whether salt is truly disarmed in the presence of the other minerals as stated by Murray (and others).

Back