• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Pvc Greenhouse Question

I have this exact pvc greenhouse (except the dimensions of mine are W=143mm L=143mm H=190mm)...

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200760&pf_id=LS9874D

see it's lovely clear plastic covering that lets 99% of the sunshine in. Well the original cover mine came with was destroyed by the wind so now I have a replacement that looks more like this...

http://www.wilko.com/greenhouse-accessories/wilko-get-growing-walk-in-greenhouse-replacement-cover-large/invt/0325775

Now, this one only lets about 60%-70% of the sunlight through. So my question is does anybody know where I could get areplacement cover with the above dimensions that is clear pvc (so you can actually see your plants from the outside).

Looked absolutely everywhere and cant find one (also got in touch with the company I bought it from, they said their supplier no longer makes them)

I know its a long shot but when I've got a pepper related problem, this is the first place I come : )

Thanks alot guys

Matt

Your better off with what you have now. Diffused light is better for plants as it provides an even softer light. 99% light transmission you will not find on commercial greenhouse films. I believe 92% is the highest. I use a commercial grade polyfilm with 88% light transmission and a %50 shade cloth for my covering. I grow everything from super hots to tomatoes and cucumbers under it and they do fine.

Take a look at most commercial greenhouse structures and you will notice most are diffused.

Forgot to add that you can find polyfilm all over the net and cut it down to your specific size.

If you do go a diffused route it is likely you will have to purchase a anti condensate or infrared coated film.

Interesting, the only thing I would say is the difference between our respective weathers. I don't think I can afford to lose even a single percent of sunshine, there are still people living in England who have never seen the big shiny ball in the sky that the rest of the world calls the sun : )

Thanks for the info though mate, if I can find something that allows just a little more light through I'll be a happy man : )

Mamsoth said:
Interesting, the only thing I would say is the difference between our respective weathers. I don't think I can afford to lose even a single percent of sunshine, there are still people living in England who have never seen the big shiny ball in the sky that the rest of the world calls the sun : )

Thanks for the info though mate, if I can find something that allows just a little more light through I'll be a happy man : )
Are your plants not growing?

Hi Matt

First of all I cant believe that a walk in greenhouse is sooo cheap, impressive!

Why not have a look at the pollytunnel suppliers. Mine came with a really thick plastic cover (diffused light) which has been up 3 years plus and is as good as new. They may have to cut it to size but they may do that for you or more likely supply you with a sheet which you can cut to suit your greenhouse.

I bought mine from Premier Polytunnels but I suspect the other suppliers would be the same spec.

Good luck and its nice to see its raining again in merry old England

Adam

holyhotpeppers said:
Are your plants not growing?
I planted them late march and they're between 4" and 6" tall. Their noticeably smaller than their counterparts were last year. The aubergines and strawberries are doing ok but the chillies are struggling. Everything else is the same as last year (pot sizes, watering regimes etc).

Adam said:
Hi Matt

First of all I cant believe that a walk in greenhouse is sooo cheap, impressive!

Why not have a look at the pollytunnel suppliers. Mine came with a really thick plastic cover (diffused light) which has been up 3 years plus and is as good as new. They may have to cut it to size but they may do that for you or more likely supply you with a sheet which you can cut to suit your greenhouse.

I bought mine from Premier Polytunnels but I suspect the other suppliers would be the same spec.

Good luck and its nice to see its raining again in merry old England

Adam
Hi Adam, hows it goin mate? If you think those little beauties are cheap, I bought mine on offer last year for £30! Pretty good hey? I'll check out premier poly tunnels but I have the small problem of being absolutely skint and I have a sneaking suspicion they may well be out of my limited price range.

Do you find your chillies get enough light then with yours? With mine, when the front flap is closed, it casts a shadow inside thats half way between complets shade and full sun.

P.s It's shaping up to be another fantastically wet and dull English summer isnt it? lol

Back