• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

pwnguin's first grow [indoor/outdoor]

I began this grow a little bit late in the season. It's my first grow, and I decided to jump headfirst with the goals of learning through experimentation and studying other people's successes and mistakes. I began this project in the beginning of May, when I purchased Giant Bhut Seeds and Trinidad Scorpion Seeds from pepperjoe.com. I found out that some people have had mixed results with this vendor, after the fact of course. Whether these strains will turn out to be what I purchased is to be determined. Fingers crossed.

As a note, I didn't start this journey out intending on doing a GLOG. My documentation begins to get more thorough as the GLOG progresses, so please bear with me. 

May 
[link to imgur album]

V8VZqY8.jpg

[DATE: 5/24/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

The seedlings have poked out from their soil. They are under 8 CFL lights rated at 5000k, 8k lumens. Currently, the seedlings are in peat pots with Miracle Grow Seed Starting Potting Mix. Apparently, this is the first of many mistakes I am to make, but the MG had no negative impact on my seeds. 

LNHHZ0x.jpg

[DATE: 5/27/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

Three days later, they've begun to take off. You can see they're reaching for the lights a tad, but they aren't getting leggy.

8iPekAO.jpg

[DATE: 5/27/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

Just a close-up of the same seedlings. They're widdle babies!

UBsD7AU.jpg

[DATE: 5/29/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

At this point, I realize that my babies don't have any real airflow, so I put a box fan off to the side. In the near future, I'll be investing in an oscillating fan, but for the time being, this will have to do.

sYP83Lh.jpg

[DATE: 5/29/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

Just another closeup of the seedlings. At this point, I realize that I'm officially an idiot, and haven't labeled the containers. No matter, two are scorpions, five are giant ghosts. I'll figure it out come harvest.

uFEv2PO.jpg

soCAwsO.jpg

Here are some glory shots of the light fixture I built with my roommate to get the seedlings started. It's ugly, but it works. I made it with a 4 dollar hand saw from harbor freight, some 2x4's, light fixtures from Home Depot, and a whole lot of elbow grease. It's currently not being used, but I'll re-purpose the fixtures/bulbs in the near future, most likely. Yes, that's aluminum foil. Yes, I know it's ineffective at reflecting light. It worked in a pinch, as I couldn't find mylar in the stores. 

Placeholder - July Weeks 1-2

Placeholder - July Weeks 3-4

June
Week 1-2
[link to imgur album]

wUEBmq5.jpg

[DATE: 6/3/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

I turned the lights off for this shot, as I didn't know why my seedlings were turning purple. After a quick google search, I felt like an idiot. They were just getting a tan. I have the lights on 18 hours, off 6.

t9ZLsmi.jpg

[Date: 6/3/15]

And I couldn't help myself. After reading mixed reviews about pepperjoe, I got anxious and decided to diversify a little bit. I hopped over to buckeye peppers and shopped around, settled on these strains. I won't start these for a while, as I'm waiting for promix and ferts to come in the mail.

7MCxzXV.jpg

[DATE: 6/9/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

Some of these guys are really getting leggy at this point, but I'm not terribly concerned about it. Their tan is getting nice and dark, too. Note to self: never use this 7-cell planter again. It's...bad.

IMKSpyd.jpg

[DATE: 6/13/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

Here's a closeup of the seedlings right around the 3 week mark. They seem to be slowing down a touch. Maybe I'm just losing track of time and being impatient.

mFhHIo3.jpg

[DATE: 6/13/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: MG Potting Mix]

Yeah, I think I'm just being impatient. 

mwxHA2z.jpg

[DATE: 6/13/15]

Something else came in the mail today. After doing a bit of research, I decided I wanted to start my buckeye seeds/transplant my adolescents into promix. Down the road, I'll be discovering that I'll need much more than just one bale. It's approximately at this time that I start my buckeye seeds in promix on a heat mat.

Looking good there pwnguin, plants look happy so far :D you will need to transplant into bigger cups soon enough :P Also how many wats you got there with those CFLS?

Chilima said:
Looking good there pwnguin, plants look happy so far  :D you will need to transplant into bigger cups soon enough  :P Also how many wats you got there with those CFLS?

100w equivalent at 1500 lumens x 8 bulbs at 6500k

June
Week 3-4
[link to imgur album]

0gYy1jg.jpg

[DATE: 6/24/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX / Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Finally, I transplant the first generation of seedlings into bigger containers. 

ItLyKVz.jpg

[DATE: 6/24/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Some of the adolescents seem to be growing faster than others. In the future, never, EVER use these pots again. Their drainage sucks, and I realized it too late.

Wb7ToKi.jpg

[DATE: 6/24/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

W3m2irO.jpg

I've relocated all my plants from my basement by the stairs, to a dedicated room where my water heater is. You can see the buckeye seedlings are sprouting, and I have them under new CFLs. Previously, I was using 8 these, bought at home depot. They weren't making the cut. Total output of original CFL setup: 12k Lumens at 6500k. Total output of new CFLs from 1000bulbs: 16k lumens at 6500k. They're much brighter, in my opinion.

ptJd0jW.jpg

07jYlfY.jpg

[DATE: 6/25/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

It's at this point that I begin exposing my first generation of plants to the outside. Day one, I put them in the sun for 30 minutes. Dumb, dumb dumb. Put them in shade! They can't handle the full intensity of the sun yet.

NPmEXqA.jpg

[DATE: 6/25/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Should put them in the shade... gotta learn somehow. 

bSvIpKa.jpg

[DATE: 6/27/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

More proof that I'm an idiot. I never checked the bottoms of the pots for drainage. In the future, I'll never use these pots. Crappy drainage, and overpriced. I had these guys in the sun for 1.5 hours today.

oFh2HPD.jpg

[DATE: 6/27/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Looks like they're getting a little too much direct sunlight.

bOXeY8C.jpg

axcUWQT.jpg

1vg2Jx8.jpg

July
Week 1-2
[link to imgur album]

SYjcLZM.jpg

[DATE: 7/2/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

After letting them stretch their legs for a bit and get some nutes with the Happy Frog, these guys begin to really take off.

3cLNdVa.jpg

[DATE: 7/2/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

They're not quite ready to live outside yet, but they will be in the next couple days. 

7Dn7lHz.jpg

[DATE: 7/3/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion | 7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

In the meanwhile, I've gotten a new toy. While the new CFLs were nice, I wanted to try my hand at LEDs, so I scoured amazon for some good entry level lights. I settled on this 300w GalaxyHydro panel. It was approx. 130 with shipping. I quickly discover that these things are BRIGHT and looking directly at them is a terrible idea. More proof that I'm not the smartest. I also bought a cheap ($20) wire rack from home depot. It'll do, for now.

PSJys0h.jpg

[DATE: 7/3/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion | 7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Briiiight. I should be concerned about the second gen seedlings having to stretch for light, but I'll be moving the first gen outside permanently tomorrow.

yfOuPL4.jpg

[DATE: 7/4/15] [Strains: 7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX]

The first generation of peppers are now living outside. It's a bit hard to see what's going on here, but not all the seedlings have popped out yet. 

Eotjxfs.jpg

[DATE: 7/4/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX]

ocb4Y2W.jpg

[DATE: 7/4/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX]

IBXe2Bf.jpg

[DATE: 7/5/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX]

So, I may have fallen instantly in love with my LED panel the day I got it, and placed an order for a second one that very day...with two day shipping... don't judge me.

APWqOFL.jpg

[DATE: 7/5/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX]

ehIFyqd.jpg

[DATE: 7/5/15] 

Shineeeee.

CTIdRXx.jpg

[DATE: 7/5/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX ]

A little bit of lean from the seedlings, probably due to how they were positioned earlier on. The 7py's don't seem to want to play nice. I have the room around 80F, and only a few have popped out. The habs are doing nicely, though.

dz02zMC.jpg

[DATE: 7/5/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

How are they getting this big this fast?

Mk648F1.jpg

[DATE: 7/6/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

A nice closeup of the lil guy spreading his wings.

qmP9hTr.jpg

[DATE: 7/6/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Some are not really taking off, and I'm guessing they're the two scorpions. In due time, I'm sure they'll start picking up. By this point, I've topped a few of them as an experiment to see what would happen.

7eNzN7Y.jpg

mpoez5S.jpg

[DATE: 7/7/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

You can really tell the top left guy is lagging behind. I'm not sure why, as they've all had equal treatment/soil, etc. Maybe he's just a runt.

aZpobs2.jpg

[DATE: 7/7/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

It was a bit windy today. You can see some of these desperately need to be transplanted.

NacNWq1.jpg

[DATE: 7/8/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

I finally got around to it. The holes in these buckets aren't big enough, so I'll be buying a drill bit set to fix this. For the time being, it'll have to do. I also ran out of promix after doing these two transplants. Each one has a cup of HF mixed in, with a cup of HF around the base of the plant.

gZk4jOS.jpg

[DATE: 7/10/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Just a quick shot of the seedlings, I guess they're adolescents by now. I had to adjust the light as it was too close. These guys are also on a 18/6 regiment.

oP9MvDo.jpg

[DATE: 7/10/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Looks like your going to have lots of peppers  :)

You might want to drill bigger holes along the bottom of those orange buckets

liking all these pics, this Glog is coming along nicely 
:cheers:

July
Week 1-2 Cont'd

T2qdl48.jpg

Continuing in the vein of making mistakes and learning from them, I think I fertilized gen 2 waaaaaaay too early. Some of the leaves are curling upwards, others are curling downwards, others seem to be fine. I mixed a little HF into the promix when transplanting to the solo cups, and it may have been a mistake.

4YECOFg.jpg

It's a little difficult to tell, but one of the leaves even scrunched up.

zbpAdWj.jpg

Some want to curl around the edges. None of them seem as if they'll die off, but I'm keeping a close eye on them.

rzORBan.jpg

They seem to be growing faster under LEDs than the CFLs.

T3Sb277.jpg

[DATE: 7/11/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Not quite the uniform lush green I was hoping for... I'll be watching closely for any changes.

UaItuta.jpg

[DATE: 7/11/15] [Strains7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Y6LO4R6.jpg

bFcESgo.jpg

f8Rt65M.jpg

jNIhort.jpg

R0E23GW.jpg

Is this too much light...?

nPbEoFu.jpg

[DATE: 7/11/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Heat wave! I realize I gotta shade these plants better, as mid day heat has wilted them pretty bad. I move them inside until some shade comes in. I'll probably buy a cloth or something soon that'll make this easier.

V0bs1nO.jpg

[DATE: 7/11/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Looking a little hot. 

XdTWT2E.jpg

While these guys need a transplant, I'm still waiting on my Promix. They're slowly catching up, though. 

ivfaqt5.jpg

Still a midget.

asVdABX.jpg

[DATE: 7/12/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

The sun got the better of one of the leaves before I realized how hot it was. The whole plant was wilted, so I took him inside for some shade for a few.

fzRSa4c.jpg

[DATE: 7/12/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Another wilted leaf on the other plant.

sCS85ZU.jpg

[DATE: 7/13/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Well needed shade. Finally got that drill set, and put some bigger holes around/underneath.

July
Week 3-4
[link to imgur album]

1mKKkqQ.jpg

[Date: 7/16]

MarsHydro has grow lights really cheap on ebay right now. I snagged this one for 70 including shipping. I don't have a use for it yet, but when my 2nd gens get bigger, I'll be keeping them inside under LEDs.

PoYuVEA.jpg

[DATE: 7/17/15] [Strains: 7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX / Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Leaves are curling inward with this guy. It's most pronounced on him.

8gfiFNF.jpg

[DATE: 7/17/15] [Strains: 7 pot yellow/Carolina Reaper/Orange Blob Habanero/Red Habanero/Red Bhut] [Soil: Promix BX / Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Here's a good shot of where my seedlings are at currently. 

YHwFY6J.jpg

[DATE: 7/17/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

Finally got the Promix in, so I was able to transplant these guys.

7rzbOwS.jpg

[DATE: 7/17/15] [Strains: Giant Ghost/Trinidad Scorpion] [Soil: Promix BX Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer ]

G4lGFCz.jpg

One of my Bhuts is really taking off. I've topped it and it's become so bushy for such a small plant. I'm estimating these guys to be about 5 weeks old, and they're really taking off under the LED lights. I have a few stragglers, but they're gonna catch up soon if all goes well. I made the mistake of fertilizing too early, some of the plants are experiencing mild fert burn, but I'm hoping they'll bounce back in the next week or two.

e8YZh2X.jpg

Back