• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Q & A about pepper breeding / crossing

Just spent an hr or two watching youtube for info on breeding.

I understand collect pollen from 2 plants....isolate a few flowers off each and polinate each parent with the pollen from the other.....isolate new polinated stymen and wait for the magic.

Q. Once you collect the newly grown crossed pepper and harvest said seeds from those pods, what is the desired next step.

Q. So now its next yr...you have your newly created crosses from each parent, and you planted the seeds....year 1 of new cross. Do you just continue to grow and collect each following yr seeds? Are you back crossing?? If yes to back crossing, what is back crossing?

Q How is or does a new cross become or is deemed stable?

Q What are the terms F1 F2 F3 in relation to crosses, pheno and or stable?

Several questions grouped together....not looking for biology 101 course, just a few simple short to the point answers to get me started in the right direction if that's possible.

I know there are alot of breeders here so please share any info you guys are willing.

Thanks

Discuss please.....

Q1: Grow those seeds, they are crossed.

Q2: Collect the seed the following year as long as you isolate them from other varieties so they don't cross again.  You can let that plant use it's own genetic material (self pollination), but back-crossing is when you cross you plant back with a parent or ancestor.  Like if you had a hab x jalapeno, it's 50/50 of each variety, if you back cross it to the hab, it will be either be 2/3 hab or 3/4 hab (I forget).  It enables you to get a closer gene pool to the hab and likely retain some traits.  You could even be 10 generations in and back-cross to a plant in the 3rd generation.

Q3:  A new cross is deemed stable after a large number of generations to ensure that there is little variation.  (You don't want to wait for that pepper you've been growing all year to end up having a complete different color or shape do you?)  For example your first generation is all dominant genes, f2 is when the recessive genes show, so when you pick a quality you want and keep that quality after so many generations, the likelihood of getting anything else after 5, 6, 7, 8 generations is so astronomically low it is more likely a mutation than anything.

Q4:  F1 means first generation, F2 means second and so on.  The more generations a cross has behind it the less likely you'll get any other phenotype.  Phenotypes are just how genes are expressed in a certain environment.

It's also very important to know, at f2 you could keep the seeds of all the different colors or shapes and whatnot and then make each into a strain of that cross.  

Back